PDA

View Full Version : Magna-Matic 9000

MOturkey
07-06-2007, 10:26 PM
Well, I've sharpened a few blades with my new Magna-Matic 9000 now, and am happy with the results. Like everything, I'm still learning the most efficient technique, but the thing is almost idiot proof.

I first thought I was doing something wrong, but finally realized that I was sharpening blades that had previously been sharpened at the mower shop. Apparently, their sharpener uses a different angle, so I had to remove extra material before the machine actually started putting an edge on the blade. On the one set of blades that hadn't been sharpened yet, the process was a breeze. The angle of the cut on the OE blades seems to match perfectly with that of the Magna-Matic, which meant I removed a minimal amount of material to achieve a sharp edge.

All in all, I think I made a wise purchase. If nothing else, I'm sure I'll change my blades more often, which is a good thing. The machine seems extremely well built, and came with an upgrade to a 3/4 horse motor, new for 2007. I didn't purchase the stand, but just set it on an old cabinet base I have sitting at the end of the work bench in the garage. Makes it just the right height for me. If you sharpen dozens of blades, the stand might be worth the extra money, as I suspect it is a little easier to get in a comfortable position.

Vikings
07-06-2007, 10:31 PM
I would love one but at half the price.

http://www.magna-matic.com/sharpeners/mag9000/gallery.html

Snowman269
07-10-2007, 01:00 AM
How much time do you save? How long does it take to sharpen a Blade?