PDA

View Full Version : Help! Did my mower shop rip me off?

Venturewest
07-07-2007, 08:53 AM
I have an old 1984 Encore 48" WB. Last year I took it to the shop to have a general maintenance done. I drove it off my trailer.

Got a call 3 days later saying they still couldn't get my mower running and it needed a coil. I thought that was a big coincidence that it ran when I brought it, but possible. $125 later I got my mower back with a new coil and my kill switch missing.

Last week (one year later) I took my mower to another shop because it died suddenly. That shop says the coil is the ORIGINAL coil. It still is working fine so they aren't trying to sell me anything. They got my mower running with asimple fix.

So I went back to first mower shop and said hey, "you guys charged me for a new coil and the original is still on the mower". The manager of the shop says there is no way to tell if it is an old coil or a 1 yr old coil. He says after a year a 1yr old coil left in the weather will look just like a 23 year old coil!

Help me out guys....Is that true?? Will a 1 yr old spark plug wire and coil look as bad as a 23 yr old coil or are they thieving??

Thanks for any replies.

IA_James
07-07-2007, 10:52 AM
They're stealing, probalby. You don't leave your mower outside do ya?

Venturewest
07-07-2007, 11:01 AM
I do leave my mower outside sometimes. Alot of times. I don't mow lawns, I just have it for my house. I just haven't had a place for it under cover until recently. I know it is bad for it.

Has been a great mower. I paid 450 bucks out of the classifieds. Great Kaw engine.

Juan_Deere
07-08-2007, 09:46 PM
I doubt the second dealer can tell it is the original just by looking. Some parts on some equipment is installed in such a manner that you can tell if it has been replaced. Usually tape or sealant that only the factory has. I don't think coils are that way. I would ask the second dealer how he knows, knows not thinks, that the one that is on there is an original.

Either way, I would have been more diligent in finding out why they wanted to replace the coil a year ago, when that wasn't what you brought it in for. It sounds like they may have had their work orders mixed up with another machine.

Nickos
05-17-2008, 11:49 PM
i always ask for my old parts back for ANYthing i bring it for work whether it be my truck or whatever

sorry to bump an old thread but its good for everyone to do

if they cant get you your old part, thats a red flag

mngrassguy
05-19-2008, 03:13 PM
Kind of unusual let alone unprofessional for one shop to "slam" another. What would their motive be? Not much you can say or do about the first shop now.

J&R Landscaping
05-19-2008, 04:31 PM
On the single cylinder Kawasaki engines, There is an ignition coil as well as an ignitor. More often then not, the ignitor is the part that fails. Its also kinda price so they may have replaced that, not the coil. Do you have your reciept showing parts and part #'s?

I doubt very much after a year with it being used and sitting outside a bit if you would be able to tell the difference but without seeing the conditions the machine has been run through, you can't say for sure.

topsites
05-19-2008, 04:47 PM
Look man I tell you the easy way out, because they may well have ripped you off but they most likely didn't, who knows?
They are right, there's no telling :laugh:

So it's not about right and wrong if we can't figure it out.
It's about which of the two shops did you feel better dealing with?
Because that's likely the right shop for you.
So just take your mower to that shop from here on out and be done with it, let it go at that.

Peace

warren piece
05-19-2008, 04:56 PM
Usually there are date codes built into to serial numbers on items. That would be one way they could tell. Companies date code items for various reasons.

k911lowe
05-19-2008, 05:02 PM
i always ask for my old parts back for ANYthing i bring it for work whether it be my truck or whatever

sorry to bump an old thread but its good for everyone to do

if they cant get you your old part, thats a red flag
i agree.no matter what repairs,get the odl parts.this job has enough anxieties and that will eliminate one.

EagleLandscape
05-19-2008, 05:30 PM
...this thread is a year old!

mowzum
05-19-2008, 07:10 PM
...this thread is a year old!

LOL sometimes it takes awhile for things to reach the west coast.