PDA

View Full Version : Bad Boy Lightening Detailed Review

puppypaws
07-07-2007, 01:13 PM
This is a detailed user review on the Bad Boy Lightening 60"/ 32 hp Vanguard.

If there is any questions I don't answer that you are interested in just let me know.

This mower is very well built with full torsion rubber suspension on all four wheels. The ride is very good almost as good as my Super Z the only difference I believe is the Hustler is a little longer and the flex forks are a little softer on the up and down motion.

The controls and handling is somewhat better on the Super Z but this can be a matter of preference. The BB is stiffer on the steering but I liked it once I became accustomed to the difference.

The BB is a 14 mph mower and it will cut grass very well at that speed with good blades and the deck set up correctly. I started cutting this morning at 6:45 in very wet conditions because of six tenths inch of rain late yesterday afternoon. I cut at 3" taking off approximately 3/4" of grass, the discharge opening may be the largest on the market at 17". There was perfect dispersal and scattering of the clippings, no clumping at all anywhere and nothing to go back over because of any type problem, it was beautiful when finished.

The reverse speed may be the fastest on the market, it will mow as fast backwards as most people probably mow forward and not leave anything, it is a little scarry at such a high reverse speed.

I cannot say enough good about the 32 hp Vanguard it is extremely powerful but I also think a part played in the engine having to work easier is the deck design with the large discharge opening. The faster speed you cut the faster the deck needs to get rid of grass and this one does a very good job.

We ran the Hustler Super Z 66"/28efi beside the BB and the Hustler was a little faster but in heavier cutting I feel assured the BB will cut just as fast because of 6" less deck and the motor does not drop rpm's. You would hear the Kohler fall back some and the Vanguard never changed sounds.

These pictures show how good the cut is and I was very satisfied after we got the deck adjusted and new blades on the mower. This is very thick Buckhorn Plantain, scattered Dallas Grass and other weed combinations with some fescue and several wild grasses, very, very tough cutting. You could see a stem from the Buckhorn occasionally but as you can see from the pictures it is understandable and I was cutting at full speed.

If you have questions feel free to ask, I would buy this mower for my personal use especially with this engine, I love it.

GreenT
07-07-2007, 01:40 PM
I would buy this mower for my personal use especially with this engine, I love it.

Sounds like a rave review pp.

I might have missed it but did you have an opportunity to measure fuel comsumption?

puppypaws
07-07-2007, 02:06 PM
Sounds like a rave review pp.

I might have missed it but did you have an opportunity to measure fuel comsumption?

No, I did not measure the fuel consumption but it is considerably higher than the efi. I would say (a guess) 1.7 gal. per hr., possibly a little higher.

Mr Priceless
07-07-2007, 02:48 PM
Blade Tip speed?

Rottman
07-07-2007, 04:03 PM
Now that the deck is set up correctly, Which of the two has the better cut? If you were buying a new machine which one would you buy?

rodfather
07-07-2007, 04:34 PM
The real test will be how it cuts thick and wet cool season grasses in the NE for the months of May and June

puppypaws
07-07-2007, 04:40 PM
Now that the deck is set up correctly, Which of the two has the better cut? If you were buying a new machine which one would you buy?

Blade Tip speed?

If money was no worry I would but the Super Z, better cut, better ride and a lot better fuel economy. We are not talking a tremendous difference except in fuel economy.

I was mowing just now when it started with lightening from a storm getting a little close and before I quit I was thinking about maybe having this mower also, not that I really need it but I do like it .

befnme
07-07-2007, 04:50 PM
i have to say that i agree with the discharge portion of your review. it also mowes almost anything in any condition without hesitating. i do however dislike the fixed deck. i am used to my grasshopper with a chained deck and to go to the rigidness of the b.b it takes some getting used to. i still cuss it from time to time and i have had it about 2 months. the worse thing in the world is to scalp something just from your tire hitting a low spot.

puppypaws
07-07-2007, 04:54 PM
The real test will be how it cuts thick and wet cool season grasses in the NE for the months of May and June

That is something that needs to be tried but I do not see it being a ideal deck in that situation, there is really not many that do extremely well except Exmark in those damp weak bladed northern grasses. The grass I cut this morning was soaking wet but the blades are still strong and stiff so it did a good job. I would say any mower that has enough suction for those type grasses the decks would need to be cleaned pretty often, there is no one mower made that is perfect in all situations.

puppypaws
07-07-2007, 04:56 PM
i have to say that i agree with the discharge portion of your review. it also mowes almost anything in any condition without hesitating. i do however dislike the fixed deck. i am used to my grasshopper with a chained deck and to go to the rigidness of the b.b it takes some getting used to. i still cuss it from time to time and i have had it about 2 months. the worse thing in the world is to scalp something just from your tire hitting a low spot.

Which BB do you have?

befnme
07-07-2007, 05:11 PM
Which BB do you have?

i have a pup model.. not so sure i like the electric lift either , it takes a little more time to get started unless you are lowering it as you go. plus mine seems to want to creep down on me a little at a time. like if i start at 2.5" in just a bit i look down and i am cuttin at 2".

puppypaws
07-07-2007, 05:50 PM
i have a pup model.. not so sure i like the electric lift either , it takes a little more time to get started unless you are lowering it as you go. plus mine seems to want to creep down on me a little at a time. like if i start at 2.5" in just a bit i look down and i am cuttin at 2".

You want have the scalping problem on the Lightening nearly as bad because the torsion rubber suspension takes a lot of the undulation out by flexing. I noticed no problem with scalping at all.

The hydraulic deck worked fine and stay set exactly where I put it. I personally would have the foot assist (which is an option) because I need to move the deck up and down quicker for better maneuverability on ditches and certain obstacles.

rodfather
07-07-2007, 05:56 PM
That is something that needs to be tried but I do not see it being a ideal deck in that situation, there is really not many that do extremely well except Exmark in those damp weak bladed northern grasses. The grass I cut this morning was soaking wet but the blades are still strong and stiff so it did a good job. I would say any mower that has enough suction for those type grasses the decks would need to be cleaned pretty often, there is no one mower made that is perfect in all situations.

I agree.

Some of the lawns we face are heavily fertilized, needing to be mowed on a 4 or 5 day rotation. Even then we have to double cut some of them. At 7 days, you are wasting your time since you have to double cut and then run the Z's with the blades engaged over the clumps in transport height just to knock them down to make the prop look presentable. Come back in 72 hours and you would swear no one was there that week. It drives us nuts.

puppypaws
07-07-2007, 09:27 PM

I just got off the BB and the Lightening deck is hung with chain at the rear and swivel balls with the adjusters on the front, how is yours?

befnme
07-07-2007, 11:29 PM
I just got off the BB and the Lightening deck is hung with chain at the rear and swivel balls with the adjusters on the front, how is yours?

mine is the same way but the electric actuation holds the deck tightly in place and dosent give the deck the opportunity to float.(so to speak).it hold it rigid in place. try to pick up on the side of your deck by hand it is nearly impossible for me. i had thought about trying to replace the front adjustable bars with chains to make it a full floating deck. dont know if that will let the deck move side to side to much though.

DLCS
07-07-2007, 11:35 PM
mine is the same way but the electric actuation holds the deck tightly in place and dosent give the deck the opportunity to float.(so to speak).it hold it rigid in place. try to pick up on the side of your deck by hand it is nearly impossible for me. i had thought about trying to replace the front adjustable bars with chains to make it a full floating deck. dont know if that will let the deck move side to side to much though.

Welcome back befnme.

befnme
07-07-2007, 11:39 PM
Welcome back befnme.

thanks, we have been so busy that i just want to wash and sleep at night. havent taken the time to log on until now. nice to see you guys (and girls) again.

puppypaws
07-08-2007, 02:01 AM

Yea, I did when I first saw it and it was locked down.