PDA

View Full Version : pictures of charge pump i've been having problems with

grass disaster
07-07-2007, 05:19 PM
follow link

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=192448

as you can see it's pretty pitted up.

i ordered the charge pump for about $200.

the boss on the face plate was a little pitted as well(pic a little blurry)
i may try hone it with a stone lightly. they want $1600 for the whole face plate assembly.

grass disaster
07-07-2007, 05:20 PM
more picssssssss

grass disaster
07-07-2007, 05:22 PM
more picssssssssss

grass disaster
07-07-2007, 05:23 PM
and another of the face plate the charge pump butts up against

tomo
07-08-2007, 05:35 PM
hello,
replace inner and outer gears .
surface main casing with wet and dry [with a hard flat block]
The removed casing could be machined depending on what bolts to it
--the clearances to the outer and inner gears is very important

As u r aware having a dedicated transmission is expensive ,particularly if not designed well eg the majority of Kubota ZD transmissions
IMO fix this issue and trade machine 4 later unit or completely different brand
Unfortunately the issues seem to strike zd owners randomly
Good luck

tomo:waving:

Eric D
07-08-2007, 05:58 PM
Grass Disaster,

Let me start with I have no experience with your model Kubota ZD. However, I do have many years of experience with gerotor pumps. From the looks of your photos it looks like you had some type of contaminant in the fluid or a major heat problem. If you end up rebuilding or replacing the pump, every line, hose, reservoir and any other components the fluid runs through will need to be flushed or the problem will come back in very short order.

If you have the filter yet, I would suggest cutting it open and find out what is inside it. Some other component may have failed causing the particle to destroy the pump.

Best of luck and keep us posted on what you find,

Eric D

razor1
07-08-2007, 06:20 PM
"As u r aware having a dedicated transmission is expensive ,particularly if not designed well eg the majority of Kubota ZD transmissions
Unfortunately the issues seem to strike zd owners randomly" tomo

The above is sad but true. I bought 2 ZD's at the same time. The one went bad while the other one is still going strong with about 2000+ hrs.

grass disaster, I didn't realize you already started working on the trans. (if that's your Kubota in the pics?)

grass disaster
07-08-2007, 07:00 PM
"As u r aware having a dedicated transmission is expensive ,particularly if not designed well eg the majority of Kubota ZD transmissions
Unfortunately the issues seem to strike zd owners randomly" tomo

The above is sad but true. I bought 2 ZD's at the same time. The one went bad while the other one is still going strong with about 2000+ hrs.

grass disaster, I didn't realize you already started working on the trans. (if that's your Kubota in the pics?)

yes those are my parts.

i ordered a new charge pump with gears and housing it was about $200

i am going to call the rep on monday

grass disaster
07-08-2007, 07:42 PM
hello,
replace inner and outer gears .
surface main casing with wet and dry [with a hard flat block]
The removed casing could be machined depending on what bolts to it
--the clearances to the outer and inner gears is very important

As u r aware having a dedicated transmission is expensive ,particularly if not designed well eg the majority of Kubota ZD transmissions
Unfortunately the issues seem to strike zd owners randomly
Good luck

yes it could possibly be machined if the face plate is easy to get off.

i have access to a surface grinder i could possibly take it off and shave off a couple thousants of an inch. i believe the whole boss could be ground and the clearances would remain the same.

tomo
07-09-2007, 04:40 AM
yes it could possibly be machined if the face plate is easy to get off.

i have access to a surface grinder i could possibly take it off and shave off a couple thousants of an inch. i believe the whole boss could be ground and the clearances would remain the same.

hello, surface by hand the case with shaft sticking out ,unless u want to stip tranny totally .
Housing with gears [photo] can be machined and sleeved as required .
If the parts are seriously grooved it does indicate other issues in transmission and with out full strip down problem will reoccur :cry: .Full flush out and clean will be needed as other posters have mentioned
I seriously do feel 4 you i almost purchased a zd28 pro ,i am happy i did not.
Although my toro has a combined hydraulic set up this will be seperated after warranty is finished.

Best of luck

grass disaster
07-09-2007, 04:36 PM
i got ahold of one of the tec. guys down in texas.

he said they were having problems with them. they didn't recall them but were fixing them as they came in but now mine is too old for warentee.

he said hopefully i just need the stage one kit(which is a new plate and pump)
he said if i have lots of metal shavings in oil it would need to be a stage 2 kit which is a lot more expensive and requires basicall a whole new tranny.

i will check the oil with a magnet and see if there is a lot of metal in there.

the stage one kit was a lot cheaper than i expected. it was only $200 includes the plate a new shaft, filter , charge pump. not $1600 which he origionally said it was.

so i will keep you all posted.

razor1
07-09-2007, 04:51 PM
grass disaster, Kubota needs to step up to the plate and make it right. It's their reputation on the line. :nono: I'd mention that these problems have gotten internet exposure and how they handle this will too. Problems like this made me switch to Exmark in the first place.

And another thing.....Does anyone know why Kubota isn't represented on Lawnsite? :confused:

grass disaster
07-09-2007, 06:26 PM
grass disaster, Kubota needs to step up to the plate and make it right. It's their reputation on the line. :nono: I'd mention that these problems have gotten internet exposure and how they handle this will too. Problems like this made me switch to Exmark in the first place.

And another thing.....Does anyone know why Kubota isn't represented on Lawnsite? :confused:

yes i agree. i think that is why the whole kit only costs $200, granted it should be free because in my mind it's a defect.

grass disaster
07-09-2007, 09:46 PM
i think i'm getting the run around. i think i know why this kit was so cheap. i think it's an old kit.

the new kit comes with a magnetic plug new bigger suction hose and a couple other things. i'm not happy now. i wanted to work on it this weekend!

themowerman
07-10-2007, 11:16 AM
You need to tear the pump down....give it a good cleaning...and rebuild it. If you have never rebuilt a pump like that I would suggest taking it to someone that has. The pump plates will need to be resurfaced.

grass disaster
07-10-2007, 02:59 PM
You need to tear the pump down....give it a good cleaning...and rebuild it. If you have never rebuilt a pump like that I would suggest taking it to someone that has. The pump plates will need to be resurfaced.

i got a new plate and pump. it looks pretty east to take off and replace.

thomsoutdoor
07-11-2007, 07:02 AM
I hope you can keep taken and posting pictures. I may have to replace mine one day and it would be nice to use this as a reference. I am one of the lucky ones, I have almost 3000hrs on mine with no troubles. razor1 bought his right after mine with one serial number difference and had all those problems. I also have another one with about 500hrs. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

themowerman
07-11-2007, 12:57 PM
If you are not going to inspect the entire pump at least pressure filter the system so you get all of the contaminants out. By the looks of your charge pump you may have scoring on your rotating group and pump plate inside the pump. The oil and dirt that went through your charge pump also goes through the rest of the pump and all other hydraulic components.

grass disaster
07-16-2007, 11:10 PM
well i got the new pump in.

the oil was pretty contaminated with fine shavings. they seemed to be mostly alluminum.

everything works like new now. i'm going to run it for a couple hours then drop the oil. then i'll run it for a few more hours then drop the oil and change the filter.

grass disaster
08-07-2007, 05:27 PM
not good.

well it worked good till a couple days ago.

getting same symptoms.

but the deck seems to raising fine. it's just the pto that shuts off when i want to raise. i wonder if the hydro filter is clogged?

themowerman
08-13-2007, 03:30 PM
Again...you need to inspect the entire pump and resurface or replace worn parts. The entire system needs to be cleaned and pressure filtered.....If you are not experienced with hydro pump repair....save yourself the headaches and money and have a qualified shop do it.....or do it over and over again.

Eric D
08-13-2007, 04:12 PM
grass disaster,

As I post in my first message to you:

If you end up rebuilding or replacing the pump, every line, hose, reservoir and any other components the fluid runs through will need to be flushed or the problem will come back in very short order.

The contaminants will find their way back into places you really don't want them to go.

Good luck,

Eric D

grass disaster
08-13-2007, 04:44 PM
well you were right.

i wonder if could put an inline filter on it before it goes onto the charge pump?

do they even make some kind of inline filter for 1/2 in rubber hose?

themowerman
08-14-2007, 03:56 PM
You need to pressure filter the system. Unless you do hydro repairs ofter it is not worth buying yourself. You can't just put a filter in-line. It is a special filter that will withstand the very high pressures that these pumps produce.

grass disaster
08-14-2007, 05:45 PM
You need to pressure filter the system. Unless you do hydro repairs ofter it is not worth buying yourself. You can't just put a filter in-line. It is a special filter that will withstand the very high pressures that these pumps produce.

it's just a 1/2" rubber hose going into the charge pump. all the pressure is created after the pump. i thought there would be some type of inline filter i could put on there, much like a fuel filter.

themowerman
08-15-2007, 10:15 AM
That is what they call a dribble line. There is no pressure there. You need to pressure filter through the pressure lines. The charge pump is only one component of your hydro pump. If there was that much contamination you need to open up the whole pump, inspect, and clean, along with all of your lines, reservoir, and anything else associated with your hydro system. Did you check the rotating group??? Are they scored also?

Eric D
08-15-2007, 11:40 AM
Grass disaster,

If your plan is to fix this issue yourself, at this point your best course of action in my opinion and as thermowerman as suggested is to totally dismantle every component that has hydraulic fluid traveling through it. Then clean everything you can by flushing and brushing in a cleaning tank. The saddest part about this, if you have steel shavings imbedded into the aluminum housings of the rotation groups, there is a good chance that no amount of washing will remove them and they will continue to cut their way into the other mating parts. I have worked on systems bad enough that the only course of action was to replace the entire hydraulic system.

Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Really sorry to hear about your situation,

Eric D