PDA

View Full Version : Mulching plates

EMJ
07-07-2007, 06:35 PM
Do you all use mulching (block off) plates on your equipment. I have two scags and with the plates on they leave strips of uncut grass. With them off I get a beautiful cut. Maybe I am doing something wrong. I am just wondering if anyone one else ever had this problem??? Anyone want to buy a mulch plate for a Scag????

Scagguy
07-07-2007, 06:46 PM
I have a Z-Cat. Does the same thing unless the grass is somewhat dry.

Audrey
07-07-2007, 10:36 PM
I do the same thing.
On the Tiger with the older Advantage deck, the block-off works great.
With the new Tiger and Velocity+, the block-off alone won't work. The new design moves too much air/clippings. You need the whole mulch kit.

If you're just doing leaves you might be able to live with it. Take a few clean up passes, then go back over with the backpack and disperse what's left.

A

befnme
07-07-2007, 11:47 PM
I do the same thing.
On the Tiger with the older Advantage deck, the block-off works great.
With the new Tiger and Velocity+, the block-off alone won't work. The new design moves too much air/clippings. You need the whole mulch kit.

If you're just doing leaves you might be able to live with it. Take a few clean up passes, then go back over with the backpack and disperse what's left.

A

i agree. but have you tried hi lifts to keep the clippings suspended longer to cut them smaller before the blades drop them ?

Audrey
07-08-2007, 12:45 AM
i agree. but have you tried hi lifts to keep the clippings suspended longer to cut them smaller before the blades drop them ?

No I haven't.
I had thought the hi-lifts would move even more air as they create more vacuum, thereby making the "problem" worse.
It's worth a try though. :)

A

ed2hess
07-08-2007, 05:15 PM
No I haven't.
I had thought the hi-lifts would move even more air as they create more vacuum, thereby making the "problem" worse.
It's worth a try though. :)
A
I but high lifts on and took them off 30 minutes later....it pulled our Scag Tiger down to the extent that couldn't cut practically anything. I cut a lot of tall wet grass (with outlet blocked)...and sometimes double cut but usually don't have to.

Audrey
07-09-2007, 12:26 AM
35HP. :weightlifter:

Cures all ills! :laugh:

My older Tiger is a pooch, 23/52. I have to be selective as to what I do with it.
The new 35/61 does it all. I'm very happy with it.

On the older machine, I tried to gain more tip speed by changing the outbox pulley. Well, it did spin the blades faster, but holy cow, the torque was GONE. I understand completely when you say it pulls it down. Even when in stock form, 23hp isn't enough. Slow and steady...

A