PDA

View Full Version : JD 318 Wont Start

riata_ag
07-07-2007, 07:30 PM
It acts as though the battery is dead. When you turn the key on the warning lights do not come on, not will the headlights work. Mower was working fine the last time I used it except the battery warning light has been coming on intermintingly while mowing for the past month or so, but no starting issues.

I tested the battery with a mulitmeter and it showed 12.75 volts. I also tried with another battery and nothing.

Anyone have any ideas?

Also, the blades will not engage once the mower is hot and so if I stop mowing and dis-engage the blades I must wait about 30 minutes for the mower to cool down before the blades will engage again.
Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance for any input.

riata ag

elrojo63
07-08-2007, 09:53 PM
The blade problem sounds like a electric clutch problem. You might need a new one. As for starting, have you check the connection on the ignition switch. I've had prblems with other mowers and that falling off. It might even be the ignition switch. If the battery is good and fully charged, that's something I would check. Check all the elec connections while you're at it. It can never hurt. Good Luck.

Imow4u2
07-09-2007, 01:49 PM
When you get it running again check the battery with you meter should read between 13.5 to 14 volts.. Some times the signal wire, (purple) that goes to the starter can work loose at the starter... Sound like you need a new field coil in you clutch.. Can be had off of E-bay, a lot cheeeeper than deere..

jrc lawncare
07-09-2007, 07:06 PM
It acts as though the battery is dead. When you turn the key on the warning lights do not come on, not will the headlights work. Mower was working fine the last time I used it except the battery warning light has been coming on intermintingly while mowing for the past month or so, but no starting issues.

I tested the battery with a mulitmeter and it showed 12.75 volts. I also tried with another battery and nothing.

Anyone have any ideas?

Also, the blades will not engage once the mower is hot and so if I stop mowing and dis-engage the blades I must wait about 30 minutes for the mower to cool down before the blades will engage again.
Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance for any input.

riata ag Clutch is adjustable in front, three nylock nuts around cover. Can't remember , seems like .018, but check with deere. Check fuses & charging system for charging.

Beaterman
07-10-2007, 07:30 AM
All good suggestions above and would check them out. Clutch gap is .016 (3 places around the clutch). Starting problem is most likely a voltage drop (age, slight corrosion at connectors, key switch etc) to starter solenoid. Go to your dealer and buy AM107421 starter relay kit (its cheap). Relay takes power direct from battery to solenoid terminal on starter. The lower voltage to your solenoid now then runs the relay. Problem solved. Good luck.

Breezmister
07-10-2007, 08:19 PM

That only tells you how much voltage you have, not if there are enough amps to turn the starter....

I'll try to walk you through what I would do, I hate electical systems, anyhow.....

Do you have a circuit tester ? A cheap one will set you back 6 or 7 dollars at your auto parts dealer.
Put the allagator clip on the neg side of the battery, touch the pos side to see if the light lights up <snicker> follow the cable coming off the pos side of the battery, it may go directly to the stater, or a starter relay, test the stud and not the cable. if it lights up, you got power to that point, if it doesn't, test the wire end....if it doesn't....

Are your battery terminals clean ? Have the terminals been replaces at some time in the past ? if they have, how about the wires going into the terminals, has the copper in the cable been discolored or corroided, clean them up if they are or replace them. If that didn't help, follow the ground cable down to where it is grounded, bolted to the frame or block, clean that point on the frame with a wire bruch and the cable end

I have a feeling you have a bad ground connection, let me know if any of this helps