PDA

View Full Version : Diversifying your company.....

nobagger
07-07-2007, 07:54 PM
I dont know about the rest of the country but its been rain free for weeks into months here in nwpa. I dont even plan on mowing next week and there is no rain in the forecast for the next 2 weeks. We do the typical "other things" such as pruning, landscaping etc. but does any one get into decks, cement work, siding etc. I'm even considering looking into dyeing the lawns green (they do make an actual dye for dormant or diseased grasses). But with the crappy winter we had for plowing now this rain free summer it just gets frustrating depending on Mother Nature for $$$$.

DuraCutter
07-07-2007, 11:38 PM
I dont know about the rest of the country but its been rain free for weeks into months here in nwpa. I dont even plan on mowing next week and there is no rain in the forecast for the next 2 weeks. We do the typical "other things" such as pruning, landscaping etc. but does any one get into decks, cement work, siding etc. I'm even considering looking into dyeing the lawns green (they do make an actual dye for dormant or diseased grasses). But with the crappy winter we had for plowing now this rain free summer it just gets frustrating depending on Mother Nature for $$$$.

Need is the mother of invention, or something like that.

Hope things turn out for you, but if pressed against the wall, I'm sure you'll do what's needed.

Btw, I have diversified, been doing it for over 25 years. One day we'll do a cement patio, next mowing, next landscaping, next sweeping parkades. It took awhile to acquire all the various machines, but about 200k later and more in the last 2 years, we are replacing the old with new. Slow but sure.

:)

befnme
07-07-2007, 11:53 PM
we have started doing drainage ditch fill-ins. what i mean is that we install drainage pipe and drain inlets in lawns then fill up the ditches to give the customer a larger lawn.

Frontier-Lawn
07-08-2007, 12:48 AM

try the fake grass route that way you can also sell them puting greens

Vikings
07-08-2007, 01:03 AM
For me, mowing was diversifying. I started with Window Cleaning and eavestrough cleaning.

Now that I've bought a trailer, and I'm looking for things to do that require NO SKILL, I'm thinking of Hauling and small demolition.

It's hard for me to find window cleaners to help me because it's so seasonal, spring and fall. So I end up too busy but in summer and winter it's completely dead. So I went with lawns to smooth things out and as a bonus, you don't need experience to mow but window cleaning is an art form as well as a skill. I'm getting sick of doing it myself, like to get out of windows altogether.

I want to grow into things where I can get people easily. I think if you started cement/driveways you might get out of lawns altogether. Good money in that field if you get going well.

At least it snows for 5 months a year here so I do snow as well.

rodfather
07-08-2007, 11:23 AM
Pressure washing seems to be getting more and more attention lately (especially with) dry conditions around the country (with the exception of OK and TX).

TNT LawnCare Inc.
07-08-2007, 12:14 PM
Also theres been alot of guys doing seal coating

KTO Enterprises
07-08-2007, 01:48 PM
I have a steam cleaner for cleaning the race cars, and after using it one day to clean rear end grease off the floor in the shop I got the idea to sell the service of cleaning garage floors where cars leave oil spots. Not a busy job but it adds a couple hundred dollars to the monthly total.

Mark in MD
07-10-2007, 08:47 AM
Be careful. Diversify rhymes with De-worse-ify.

The stock (or value) of publicly traded companies almost always goes down after they diversify.

befnme
07-12-2007, 08:28 PM
DII VERR SIFFY MMMAAANNN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:laugh: