PDA

View Full Version : Problem w/patio homes-hoa

mcclureandson
07-07-2007, 08:09 PM
I've got a mowing crew that services a few patio home communities...typically 40-50 patio homes where we cut the front/side yards and maintain the common areas. The problem is there's always one or two people living there that don't like how my guys cut there lawn (usually it's an older guy used to cutting his own)...and sometime they decide to buy a 21" and cut it themselves. I've found it's more trouble than it's worth to remember who wants their lawn cut and who doesn't - I can do it, of course but I'd much rather send a crew out WITHOUT special instructions. These people want us to trim shrubs, do chem treatments, edge and blow...just not mow. Do you guys let people opt out (no request to drop price)? These homes all blend together...I don't want my guys to have to remember #'s 312 and 334 don't want cut this week etc..

IN2MOWN
07-07-2007, 08:13 PM
It shouldnt be that hard for your guys to remember which ones they mow and which ones they dont. If they dont want it done then dont do it. If your worried about losing the income then jack up their prices for everything else to cover the loss of the mowing.

cutbetterthanyou
07-07-2007, 08:37 PM
what exactly are patio homes? like town homes or condos?

DuraCutter
07-07-2007, 11:28 PM
I've got a mowing crew that services a few patio home communities...typically 40-50 patio homes where we cut the front/side yards and maintain the common areas. The problem is there's always one or two people living there that don't like how my guys cut there lawn (usually it's an older guy used to cutting his own)...and sometime they decide to buy a 21" and cut it themselves. I've found it's more trouble than it's worth to remember who wants their lawn cut and who doesn't - I can do it, of course but I'd much rather send a crew out WITHOUT special instructions. These people want us to trim shrubs, do chem treatments, edge and blow...just not mow. Do you guys let people opt out (no request to drop price)? These homes all blend together...I don't want my guys to have to remember #'s 312 and 334 don't want cut this week etc..

I do condo's which are very similar. If one person opts out, THERE is NO price discount whatsoever!!!

It's a pain in the behind so it's not cheaper for you, just more complicated. So do not drop the price...:nono:

We run into the same problems, so my guys wear ear protection and the board tells people to leave us alone. :laugh: :laugh:

Frontier-Lawn
07-08-2007, 12:52 AM
i think its a moble fart home

David C.
07-08-2007, 08:00 AM
These homes all blend together...I don't want my guys to have to remember #'s 312 and 334 don't want cut this week etc..

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out which ones to cut and which ones not to cut

I worked my way through college with a city's newspaper route----I knew which house got a paper and which ones didn't---I didn't just "broadcast" my papers to every drive.

Basically---its "No tick-ee?? No laundry!!" type thing----if you're on my list for lawn maint.----you get your lawn cut!!! If you're name ain't on my list---I pass your lawn up!!!

robertsturf
07-08-2007, 10:13 AM
We had the same issue with a 62 home complex we USED to maintain. It was exactly the same story, they wouldn't be happy until you were using a 21" mower for the whole property. 2 of the residents started mowing there ouwn lawns and using miracle grow on there lawns. Shrubs the same way and snow removal the same problem. The last straw for me was when the president of the HOA told my crew to stop trimming shrubs and go home. WOW was I toasted. I told him we were done. What they really needed was to hire Juan or Paco put them on there payroll and follow them around watching every move they make. Needless to say it was a financial hit but I have my weekends back and our business is growing in other areas it couldn't have before. Stick to your guns they will have you chasing your tail if you let them!!!

Wyboo
07-08-2007, 03:49 PM
I maintain about 200 patio homes in a subdivision. About 75% of them get cut every week and the rest get cut every other week. We just have a small blue flag next to the mailbox of the ones who we don't cut every week. Seems to work for my guys. Also if they cut their own grass they still pay the same yealry price as everyone else.

robertsturf
07-08-2007, 04:24 PM
That sounds like a great idea (blue flag) except with the old association I dealt with we would have so many flags in there front yards you would have to have a book to keep track of what they meant. Thats why I fired them. We have several other associations that we deal with and have very little problems with them. BTW what do you get per lawn out in SC. We are lucky to get 15-20 per lawn. You can pm me the answer if you're worried about a LCO finding out your info. Thanks.

DLCS
07-08-2007, 04:54 PM
Blue flag is a good idea but you could also do what the paper guys here do. They put a 1" diameter reflector on the mailbox or post of the houses who only get the Sunday paper. How about that.