PDA

View Full Version : !@#$ bees!!


mcwlandscaping
07-07-2007, 08:16 PM
Was blowing off a driveway today and out of nowhere bee attaches itself right above my eye and gets me. Glad i had my glasses on or else he may have been in my eye which would have been even worse. I'm glad my dad was there because i'm allergic and so is he so just in case something happened fast, he'd be there. I mowed two more before calling it a day once the swelling started up. Now the swelling is rediculous and is hard to see, it's so annoying!! I usually have bee stuff in the truck but my tool box is out of the truck being painted. My day for ya!!
mike-

DSLND
07-07-2007, 08:39 PM
Man, that blows! I saw your away message on AIM and knew something was wrong. I figured you had already posted a thread on here explaining the story. Hope you get some medicine to help with the swelling! -Mitch-

RedMax Man
07-07-2007, 10:09 PM
I remember last season i was mowing one of my properties and then trimming along the driveway. Minding my own business when a bee stings me, it killed. I turned around and there was a bunch of them flying around all mad. they were bumble bees and had a nest in the ground. thankfully the customer was home and offered me some ice. Havent been stung this year and hope it doesn't happen. those little suckers will ruin your whole day.

DLCS
07-07-2007, 10:18 PM
I was trimming some shrubs last year at my house. I had previously eaten lunch at McDonalds and had some coke left in a cup with a straw. Well, I went to take a drink and there was a bee in the straw. Little bugger stung me on the tip of my tongue. You talk about pain and swelling.:cry:

mcwlandscaping
07-07-2007, 10:21 PM
Besides benadryl, anyone know of any good meds to take to reduce the swelling?

DLCS, people stories like that are the reason i never use a straw durring the summer time for anything outside.

DLCS
07-07-2007, 10:29 PM
Besides benadryl, anyone know of any good meds to take to reduce the swelling?

DLCS, people stories like that are the reason i never use a straw durring the summer time for anything outside.


Funny thing is I before I took that drink, I thought to myself, I hope there isn't a bee in here.:hammerhead: LOL I've had them go in a Pepsi can before but you can normaly here them in there before you take a drink.

rodfather
07-08-2007, 11:30 AM
Trimming some Canadian Hemlock trees last week I sliced through a hornet's nest built inside the branches. Thank God I wasn't on my 10' step ladder. As it was, the inning ended at Hornet's 3, Rod 0. Came back with my 25' spray can and evened the score that evening. :clapping:

mcwlandscaping
07-08-2007, 11:39 AM
Well, my eyes is swollen shut....this BLOWS!!!!!!!

koop
07-08-2007, 11:53 AM
I am with you on bee hatred. I get stung every year. Three years ago I was sitting in a truck with open window and giant hornet stings me right over the eye. Baking powder mixed with water to a paste and applied fast kept swelling down. Benadryl pill took away the "punched in the eye" feeling.

Last year one gets me on the calf while bush hogging then two hours later, while walking through tall grass, another one gets me in the exact same spot on my leg.

I HATE BEES!!!!

fargoboy
07-08-2007, 01:00 PM
have you tried herion? doesn't do much for the swelling but you forget everything else. Go to the doctors, they have a whole lot of anti-inflametory drugs that they can use.

lawnman_scott
07-08-2007, 01:08 PM
How allergic are you? When I get stung I have to go to the emergency room. No waiting, its great. The last time they didnt even ask my info, just ran in, they took me to the room and started an iv to reduce the swelling. My throat was starting to swell though. Good thing im not canadian.........

lawnman_scott
07-08-2007, 01:09 PM
How allergic are you? When I get stung I have to go to the emergency room. No waiting, its great. The last time they didnt even ask my info, just ran in, they took me to the room and started an iv to reduce the swelling. My throat was starting to swell though. Good thing im not canadian.........

lawnwizards
07-08-2007, 06:01 PM
meat tenderizer and a little water to make a paste. this works for the itching.

Vikings
07-08-2007, 08:45 PM
Last fall I got stung, i think it was 7 times. I was on a steep pitched, wood shingled roof, cleaning sky lights. I guess the wasps had a nest under one of the shingles.

I couldn't run because of the steep pitch and buddy took the ladder away anyway to clean some windows along the wall, lol. I was just waving my chamois around and kinda jumping.

My hand swelled up so I couldn't see my knuckles, I also got noticeably Dizzy.

I just laid a wet towel over the wasps hole and went back to work without making a disturbance for the customer.

jvorwald7
07-08-2007, 08:48 PM
was mowing in a back yard and i passed a yellow jackets nest to go to the lower part of the yard. when i went to mow the upper part i guess i pissed them off and i got stung 5 times all at once. i run to the driveway and get stung twice again and then the damn bees chased me all the way to the truck. then the next week i forgot all about them and got stung twice again. i did not make the same mistake the next week, i soaked them with a whole extra large can of spray... needless to say their gone now.

jpnose
07-08-2007, 10:26 PM
I was mowing a small yard and little did I know I ran over their hole in the ground. I felt a sharp pain in my ankle and there was 6 of them on there.
It was painful first day, second day swelled up and itched like crazy.
I had to get an allergy shot that week anyway , so I asked the Dr. and he said no shot , but gave me a prescription for prednisone, it took away the itching and the swelling quick. Last year I got stung also. Darn things....

bigbear
07-08-2007, 11:04 PM
last year we were digging in my backyard to make a motocross track "for the kids of course" and thouht it would be cool to dig a big jump beside a tree that was like thirty years old, mybudyy was diggin away when he dug a giant underground hornet nest and they poured out ofd it and the tree so whats he do jumps out and runs to the house, i look down over the hill to see my skid loader sittin there running full bore with a swarm of bees arond it . Ilooked at him and he said no he aint goin down to get get it, and i said f it it'll be out of fuel by morning, oww and if you pull ur straw up a little in your drink and bend it in half then push it back in it keeps the bees out, and the hornet stung in the same spot because the first one left a pheremone tag on you marking you as an enemy that the other bee "smelled" , im also a novice bee farmer

Envy Lawn Service
07-09-2007, 12:38 AM
Dang, I hate to hear that about your eye.

I bet it was a dang yellow jacket. Sounds like one anyways.

It might be best to go on to the ER tonight and see what they can do for you considering it's around your eye. I say this because I've experienced the "running" swelling. What I mean by that is a swelling that runs downward pretty bad into lower tissue and deeper tissue.

If I were stung above the eye, it would get my eyelids extremely bad, and in time be on down my face below my eye and stuff.

You don't want to mess around too much with that type of swelling around the eye.
It could possilbly do something to hurt your vision for the long haul.

Get off here and at least call your Dr's office or the ER.
I bet they will tell you to come in to the hospital to be treated for that.

Mark in MD
07-10-2007, 08:38 AM
I heard that if you tape a penny over the bee sting, somehow the copper reacts to the poison and draws it out.

JoshC
07-10-2007, 11:52 PM
I got stung pretty bad yesterday morning. I was weedeating a 150ft long bank and had about 4ft left. Guess I hit an underground nest. I got tagged 4times, only two left marks. The one on my chest isn't bad, but the one about 2in above my ankle is driving me nuts. Today it is swollen up enough that I can't see my ankle bone. Right after it happened I took a big swallow of liquid Benedryl so that got me through the rest of the day. Next week I'm heading back with a big can of spray.

I used to have some stuff that was in a little plastic cylinder. Inside it was another cylinder with a green liquid. You bend the thing so that the inner cylinder snaps and the green liquid soaked into a cotton swab at the end. That worked really good for relieving swelling, pain, and itching. I don't know what its called but I wish I could find it again.