PDA

View Full Version : Laid sod twice died both times

themow
07-08-2007, 12:04 AM
I have trees lining the perimeter of my back yard. Its 60ft wide. I live on an island and the soil isnt great so i dug up the roots laid lime and topsoil the the sod. Both times. I watered it every day. Both times it lasted 3 or 4 weeks then slowly died. Ive tried seeding aswell. It will produce some very weak thin grass then it will die aswell. Seems like the only thing that will survive out there is weeds. Could it be possible that the tree roots running through the yard are starving the grass of water?

cpel2004
07-08-2007, 12:24 AM
Most grasses need 4 hours of direct sunlight How much sunlight is it getting?

Dreams To Designs
07-08-2007, 08:01 AM
Test the soil and determine the conditions and what if anything you can do to grow grass. Is there enough sunlight to grow grass, are you using the correct type of sod or seed? Spreading a thin layer of topsoil over bad soil is like butter cream icing on a dry out nasty cake, once the roots get through the topsoil, they have no where to grow.

Kirk

themow
07-08-2007, 10:20 AM
I believe the sod was fescue. Some parts recieved no direct sunlight at all becasue the trees are like a canopy. The soil that is in my yard is not that bad. My mother has a very large garden with bushes and flowers and theyre fine. I never tested the soil though.

ATL Lawn
07-08-2007, 11:18 AM
it MUST have 4hrs of sun light

turfmann
07-08-2007, 11:24 AM
Yeah, I would have to agree with lack of sunlight. The comment about the thinness after planting is a good clue. Sometimes you just can't grow grass some places. I would consider a low light tolerant ground cover.

TLS
07-08-2007, 03:34 PM
Thin out the trees. Their canopy is like a giant umbrella, cutting off rain and sunlight. You could try seeding with a shade mixture, but I'd wait until fall.

Bottom line,....close that umbrella!

dcgreenspro
07-09-2007, 01:36 AM
fine fecue sod...and water it till it almost floats away.

sheshovel
07-09-2007, 02:35 AM
Depends on the type of trees and how much of their root systems are competing for water with the new sod.Yes, you bet trees can suck (just and expression don't mean literally here guys) water right out of the soil and deprive new grass of it.

themow
07-09-2007, 03:52 AM
so howbout i till the yard and rip up the roots where the grass will be? Would that have any positive effect

cpel2004
07-09-2007, 06:28 AM
Do you have any pics? We need pics, plenty of pics?

treedoc1
07-09-2007, 08:33 AM
Sure...till under the trees and rip up the roots.

Wait a few months and after you have the dead trees removed you should be able to have that lush full turf you are looking for.

themow
07-13-2007, 01:29 AM
the trees are in the flower garden which is 5 feet away from where the grass should grow. They line the yard.

cgaengineer
07-13-2007, 08:15 AM
Its going to be hard to get grass to grow in those shady conditions...you would likely do better starting from seed late in winter when it starts warming up before the trees have all leaves and get a good stand of grass ready for when leaves return...maybe, just maybe if you get the grass long enough it will live. I have an area that has alot of shade and the fescue is really thin...cutting it higher helps. I am thinking between the shock of the sod transplant, soil conditions and the undesirable growing conditions (Shade) the grass just cannot make it on its own. I am no expert, but I have seeded with great sucess several times.

cpel2004
07-13-2007, 08:30 AM
Your grass wont grow if it doesnt have the proper light period. Try using an inorganic mulch or pruning the trees.

cgaengineer
07-13-2007, 08:58 AM
Your grass wont grow if it doesnt have the proper light period. Try using an inorganic mulch or pruning the trees.

This is true!

themow
05-12-2008, 11:50 AM
the trees are in full bloom now and the grass (if you wanna call it that) looks like hell....im gonna take pictures as soon as this weather clears up

mngrassguy
05-16-2008, 02:07 AM
Sounds like to much shade. Sod WILL NOT GROW in heavy shade. Seed with a good high quality shady grass seed in the early fall only. Use a starter fertilizer at the same time and every 3-4 weeks after untill late fall.