PDA

View Full Version : Another weed/mulch issue.

baddarryl
07-08-2007, 05:35 AM
I have a mulched Churches play area. Typical broadleafs, nutgrass, and blackberry coming up. I have to use a combination broadleaf, MSMA, and Bk32 killer to get it all. Honestly worried about using too much and the kids. Only spot spraying as needed. I always spray on Thurs or Fri which is at least 2 days before Sunday service. According to the labels I am good, I just wonder about long term. Sandy under layment that drains well. How would snapshot or treflan do? Safer, or do I need to resort to pulling by hand?

Turf Troll
07-08-2007, 08:25 AM
glyphosate why wouldn't you use roundup/ranger etc...
as for the pre I would have to read the label

sheshovel
07-08-2007, 08:57 AM
Should be not big deal to just hoe them out as they come up. Compared to risking the kid's heath.

baddarryl
07-08-2007, 09:41 AM
glyphosate why wouldn't you use roundup/ranger etc...
as for the pre I would have to read the label

Yeah I use Hi Yield Kilzall instead of round up. Works pretty good at 1/2 the price.

Yes pulling is an option but that nutgrass comes up by the dozens. Quite labor intensive. Trying to avoid that. That is what the MSMA is for, which I don' think I can eliminate as it is specifically for that.

What about Roundup Pro? I have always avoided it because of the expense. Is it worth it? I will have to look and see if it will target my specific weeds instead of using a combo.

EVM
07-12-2007, 09:35 PM
I have had success using snap shot to permanently control nutsedge. I would use Round up for all the other weeds and Manage for the nutsedge. Use a fan nozzle for spraying. In the future you can use the snapshot for the pre-emergent application.