PDA

View Full Version : Turf Tiger Gearbox

DiMassa33
07-08-2007, 11:08 AM
Im looking to buy a scag turf tiger but the problem is that the gearbox is leaking gear fluid. I guess the gears are working fine, its just that the box leaks fluid. I was told from the guy selling it that i could buy a new gearbox for $350. Does this price sound right to you guys? Should i be careful looking at this machine. Also, it seems like gearboxs are pretty common problems on scags, am i right?

twj721
07-08-2007, 04:05 PM
here is a price that I come up with
Scag 481516 Superceded To Part# 482486
Scag 482486 GBOX ASY DECK DRIVE $357.43

Keep your eye on Ebay alot of times these gearboxes show up there Good luck you might be be able to pull gear box off and just put a seal kit in it unlees the previous owner was lazy and did not keep oil level checked and run it out of oil or something got under the pulley and got into the seal and ate the seal up Good luck

djagusch
07-08-2007, 07:11 PM
I just had the seals replaced in my by the dealer. $70 total parts and labor.

Typically what happens long grass gets wrapped around the driveshaft and then works down to the gearbox seal, cutting the seal (long grass=2+feet tall or in other words stuff you shouldn't be cutting).

The other way they go bad is if you don't grease the driveshaft and the slide sticks pushing the driveshaft into the gearbox.

This company http://www.superiorgearbox.com/downloads.html builds the gearboxes and has a service manual so you could rebuild it yourself if you would like, it is the Bevel Gear Drive Service Manual that pertains to the gearbox.

My dealer told me that after you wreck one you tend not to wreck another one since you know what to stay out of and what to maintain.

By the way you will not regret buying a Turf Tiger. They are built very well and perform well also.

johnp900
07-08-2007, 07:36 PM
The price on the gearbox is right on target. Be sure an add part # 482279 gear box shield. This helps to keep the grass from getting into the seal.

twj721
07-09-2007, 01:13 AM
The price on the gearbox is right on target. Be sure an add part # 482279 gear box shield. This helps to keep the grass from getting into the seal.

HI John are you drying out in SS ? just wondering Hve a good day Tony J

johnp900
07-09-2007, 12:27 PM
Not drying out yet, It's raining right now, got 1/2" yesterday. What a diference a year makes. About 2" total last year for June, July & August. June alone this year, nearly 10". Already 4" in July. People are letting me know daily that the grass is growing.

Audrey
07-09-2007, 02:09 PM
Can you rebuild it?

I got tall grass/weeds into mine also. It wrapped around the drive shaft and ate the cup seal. As mentioned, they make a metal washer to cover that area now. All total, I think the parts and fluid ran me $20-$30 and I did it myself. It's not hard at all. You need a clean workbench and basic hand tools. I'm a firm believer that you learn by doing. Dive in and get your hands dirty. You'll be better for it in the long run.

Agreed on the Tiger! Great machines. With stuff like this, blame can be pointed either way. Is it their fault for not covering this seal, or is it mine for putting the machine where it maybe shouldn't have been? So far, the problems I have had with Scag are things like this. I put the machine in hostile environments to begin with. It was never meant to cut grass taller than me, nor cornstalks.
I think it has held up extremely well for what I put it through. That's why I bought a second one. :)

A

twj721
07-09-2007, 02:43 PM
Not drying out yet, It's raining right now, got 1/2" yesterday. What a diference a year makes. About 2" total last year for June, July & August. June alone this year, nearly 10". Already 4" in July. People are letting me know daily that the grass is growing.

just tell David to quit doing his naked rain dance :laugh: have you sold any of the turf tigers with the 35 liquid cooled yet ? May need one have a guy intrested the turf tiger that I have I looked at the 26 Kubota butt what I am cutting scared it would be underpowered . so I am either going to gowitht he 35 turf tiger or see if we might be able to get a 61" deck and put on the 1st Saber Tooth. Tony J ,Daingerfield Tx