PDA

View Full Version : Core Aeration

Green Boys LawnCare
07-08-2007, 11:36 AM
I'm looking for the core aerator that is easiest to use, and does a good job. I have a Blue Bird, and it works all right, but it wears you out. A guy could make a lot of money with a machine he could run all day. Any help from operators would be appreciated. I think I want a unit you walk behind as opposed to a stander - so I don't tear up lawns in wet conditions. Thanks

fiveoboy01
07-08-2007, 03:00 PM
Plugr PL850 hydro, or Turfco TurnAire. Both self-propelled walk behinds and you can add a sulky to them if you want.

turfcobob
07-09-2007, 03:30 PM
I am going to suggest the Turfco TurnAer Aerator with Chariot. It comes in two sizes one for larger lawns and one for the 5000 sq ft and down lawns. Now the smaller one the TurnAer 4 for smaller lawns can still use the chariot so when you get on a lawn that is larger you can ride and speed the machine up to do double the production that you can walking. The larger unit I advise for larger lawns and commercial property where you want to do some serious acres every day. It will do an acre an hour. When you walk with these machine they turn using disc brakes on a differential powered drive shaft so it does not tear. When you turn the inside tines slow down and the outside tines speed up just like your tires on a rear wheel drive truck. The small one is the size of a Ryan LA IV and will turn around a basketball without tearing. See them at Turfco.com or call 800.679.8201

Rock Solid
07-10-2007, 11:55 AM
Check with South Topeka Service Complex, they have a PLUGR PL850 hydro in stock, and available for a demo.
Phone # 785-862-3904

J&R Landscaping
07-10-2007, 06:11 PM
Ryan aerators are nice, they give you a workout but they are a nice unit!

Green Boys LawnCare
08-02-2007, 07:18 PM
Does anyone have experience with the Classen split drive aerators? They look pretty nice, too. I've got a sales rep bringing one out to demo next Friday. I'm going to try and find out if I can demo a turn-aire, too. They have a 14 day free trial, but I don't want to pay the shipping if I don't like it.

grass disaster
08-02-2007, 08:19 PM
Does anyone have experience with the Classen split drive aerators? They look pretty nice, too. I've got a sales rep bringing one out to demo next Friday. I'm going to try and find out if I can demo a turn-aire, too. They have a 14 day free trial, but I don't want to pay the shipping if I don't like it.

have you looked at the plugr?

why not a plugr?

Green Boys LawnCare
08-04-2007, 10:50 PM
My bother-in-law has rented them and thought they ran kind of rough. If the ground was hard the cam driven cores didn't go all the way into the ground. I may try and demo the plugr at South Topeka Service Complex.

Mr. Force™, Billy Goat Industries
08-06-2007, 02:05 PM
I've run all of the units mentioned and they all respectively have great features. However for depth of plugs in all conditions and ease of use don't forget to check out the Billy Goat AE400 Series. It's compact, has folding handles, has an easy to fill 50# water tank that's above the tines, is stable on hillsides, is easy to pop out of the ground for turning and pulls the deepest plugs of any competitive aerators.

I'd probably be considered biased though. :rolleyes:

MassSteelerfan
08-06-2007, 06:57 PM
How is the service with turnaer, liked machine but scared by the fact that they are direct ship, and uf problem then what?? has anyone had any experiences with them?? good or bad

sildoc
08-06-2007, 09:59 PM
I have ran the blue birds, classens and ryans. rented a billy goat and wasn't impressed. I demoed a plugr 400 and bought onsight. since we purchase a 600. Love them. Yeah they beat you after a couple of acres but not near as bad as the others. good luck. rent the different ones to see what you like.

thomsoutdoor
08-07-2007, 05:52 AM
No problems with my turfco.

mdlwn1
08-07-2007, 07:40 AM
How deep do the plugr's go in on hard pack..clay...and tree rooted areas?

out till dark
08-07-2007, 09:49 AM
mdlwn1 It will pull nice 2in plugs in hard pack clay but it has to be thouroughly moist ..If the ground is dry don't attempt to "RUN" a Plugr LOL

sildoc
08-07-2007, 10:57 AM
How deep do the plugr's go in on hard pack..clay...and tree rooted areas?

I have pulled over an inch out of tree roots but don't recomend it for your shoulders. Hard dry clay you are looking at around an inch or a bit more of penitration. You definitely want it watered well first so that you can pull good 2 1/2 to 3 inch plugs. that and it is easier on your body.

Green Boys LawnCare
08-19-2007, 09:24 PM
I have a BlueBird and I tried the Classen split drive and the Hydro Pluggr (850). I liked the Pluggr the best, though it seemed that the Classen pulled a little deeper plug. The pluggr holes were all perfect though, some of the holes from the Classen were elongated when turning and maneuvering. We had just gotten a nice rain. Do the pluggrs run rough when the ground is dry? My brother in law said it felt like using a jack hammer all day. Of course he was using the smaller rental unit. Thanks

wahlturfcare
08-21-2007, 02:08 PM
Turfco is a great company to deal with. i've used their 3 point ones and only had one problem with it and they easily fixed it for me and told me about going at it. on all their stuff, they use the same times as leasco, ryan, bluebird and some other parts the same. They equipment is well worth their price.

Marcos
08-22-2007, 04:05 PM
Claussen / Lesco split drive aerators are nice units. Very maneuverable. The gear boxes are shipped dry though, and the stores don't always fill them, or fill them too much. The chain is an Achilles heel in that it is a single drive chain trying to drive two directions. Pray to your higher power you won't have to replace one in the field.

Indatreez
09-11-2007, 04:49 PM
aerators are not that bad to operate after you get the hang of it..
when i worked for scotts lawn i did 8-14 aeration/revive/seed jobs each day 5days a week using the ryan walk behind. and at the the same time passed out all my own fliers.. ;) :)

BENTLEY'S
09-11-2007, 06:44 PM
I vote for the Plugr. I've used mine for several years now with no problems. It's made me lots of money and brought in many new customers!

Bentley's