PDA

View Full Version : Is it going to explode?

lawnboy858
07-08-2007, 05:12 PM
i was mowing today in about 95 degree heat and on one of my last accounts i saw my 2 5 gallon gas cans, and they were huge, warped on the outsides, and looked like they was going to burst so i carefully opened the nozzle and and a ton of air came out as they went back to a normal size. Once i got back home they were the same size again and i did the same thing. Is this dangerous, or should i not be concerned. please help. :dizzy:

IN2MOWN
07-08-2007, 05:18 PM
Just keep the vent open on them.

Nosmo
07-08-2007, 05:18 PM
I believe I would be concerned about that pressure build up inside those plastic containers. I've never known of them bursting but I do know of a garden hose coiled up on a rack with the nozzle tightened (without letting the pressure off) and during the heat of the day the hose burst.

Nosmo

Nosmo
07-08-2007, 05:22 PM
Just keep the vent open on them.

I'll bet he has those newer types with no vents. He said he loosened the nozzle to let the pressure out.

You can fix those newer ones to have a vent. I've seen a couple different posts on how those fellows have modified the newer containers.

KTO Enterprises
07-08-2007, 05:34 PM
It wont explode, unless there is a source of ignition, But the can may burst and spill your gas all over the place.

IN2MOWN
07-08-2007, 05:35 PM
I'll bet he has those newer types with no vents. He said he loosened the nozzle to let the pressure out.

You can fix those newer ones to have a vent. I've seen a couple different posts on how those fellows have modified the newer containers.

I bought a few of those last year and promptly returned them when I had the same problem. Pretty stupid to even make them.

robbo521
07-08-2007, 05:46 PM
just drill a small hole in the top around the handle.it wont do it then.

sheshovel
07-08-2007, 06:03 PM
They are required here, they no longer sell the old kind. I talked to a retired fireman, chief in fact about this very subject I had mentioned his many containers full of gas in the sun in his driveway.
He said no-way will they explode and start a fire, he has never seen or heard of it happening in the 30 years he was a fireman. But I know they can burst from the gasses expanding in the heat.
I always leave my cap a little open or I put my can in shade when I get to the job. Now, if you have a can that has the vent open or the cap loose and the gas is heating up,gasses are being released out the vent or cap and you go light a smoke standing right over the can, or make a spark around it, then those gasses can ignite start a gas fire. You betcha.
I have always been cautious to the point of paranoia about leaving gas out in our triple digits temps, vent or not. I keep my gas shaded and vented at home.

lawnspecialties
07-08-2007, 06:14 PM
You probably have Blitz cans. They pretty much suck. To me, the biggest problem is how they swell up so big and round, they roll around in the truck.

As for the "explosion" part, ironically gasoline has an ignition temperature of 700 degrees Farhenheit. It's harder to "spontaneous combust" gas than diesel fuel.

Jason Rose
07-08-2007, 07:18 PM
As for the "explosion" part, ironically gasoline has an ignition temperature of 700 degrees Farhenheit. It's harder to "spontaneous combust" gas than diesel fuel.

Yes, but Gasoline VAPORS are highly flamable, and once the vapor ignites, the rest will too.

I believe the whole "theory" behind all the new non-vented cans is to actually keep the vapor (what makes the cans swell in the sun) INSIDE the can and not floating out into the atmosphere. Great theory, and I guess that was enough to get it past the EPA. But, most cans that are swelled with vapor get vented out as soon as they are opened, which then negates the whole idea of keeping the vapor inside.

I have 3- 5 gallon old style Gott cans. They are short and squatty so they can't tip over. They are actually vented and I always leave the vents cracked a little. Only downfall to them is the spouts. The plastic gets brittle and they break in half a year or so from being in the sun so much on the trailer. I can still buy new ones though, and for about $1.50 each I buy all thay have each time, lol! I was at the dump the other day and found another 5 gallon Gott can, had a coupole gallons of probably 10 year old gas in it. Iv'e cleaned and cleaned it out, but still leary of the varnish in the can coming out and getting into my equipment.

lawnspecialties
07-08-2007, 07:22 PM
Yes, but Gasoline VAPORS are highly flamable, and once the vapor ignites, the rest will too.

True but you have to have an ignition source for that to occur. Swelling in a can is not an ignition source.

Remember, the vapors are what are actually burning anyway. They still have get to 700 degrees to ignite. And anyone with an ignition source around gas vapors......:hammerhead:

EMJ
07-08-2007, 07:28 PM

Gas is combustible and diesel is explosive. Gas will not explode without a ignition source. The little yellow cap on the end of your fill spout(ie the cap) will pop off before your can splits.:hammerhead:

Jason Rose
07-08-2007, 07:54 PM
Gasoline:
Flash point: > -43 C (-45 F [negative, below freezing point of water at +32 F])
Autoignition temperature: 246 C (475 F)

Diesel:
Flash point: >62 C (143 F)
Autoignition temperature: 210 C (410 F)

Jet Fuel:
Flash Point: >38 C (100 F)
Autoignition Temperature: 210 C (410 F)

Kerosene:
Flash point: >38-72 C (100-162 F)
Autoignition temperature: 220 C (428 F)

lawnboy858
07-08-2007, 08:02 PM
You probably have Blitz cans. They pretty much suck. To me, the biggest problem is how they swell up so big and round, they roll around in the truck.

i checked and i do infact have blitz gas cans, and even for my 2 cycles. i think the only alternative for me is either to 1 go buy another brand or 2 keep them in the shade at jobsites. i dont know, any other advice?

Uranus
07-08-2007, 08:10 PM
If your using a Blintz gas can you have 2 choices IMO.

1 I took a Phillips head screwdriver and hammered it into the top of the can to create a vent hole. I put a golf tee into the hole to fill the new hole. The tee does not completely fill the hole because of the 4 tiny edges the Phillip head makes. (Bonous--You take the tee out when filling up and you can empty the can in less than half the time without a vent hole.)

2 Deal with it for another week or 2 until you lose that stupid yellow cap.

IMO Blintz cans suck.....Cool idea of being vented through the filler nozzle, but it still starves for air and sucks the sides in until the pressure builds up and it gasps for air. They swell up and tip over. You take the cap off and get a burst of vapor on your hands. I wish we could still buy the Chilton gas cans. You could cap both the vent hole and the filler nozzle. If pressure built up you could take the cap off the vent and it was secured to the can. Never lost a Chilton cap.

MOturkey
07-08-2007, 09:00 PM
I just avoid screwing the caps on tightly. Doesn't take much to vent. Problem solved.

gaither
07-08-2007, 10:58 PM
Lose the cap and put an empty gatorade bottle or the spot. I know it may look redneck but i do that even with my old cans. No small caps to worry about.

S man
07-08-2007, 11:28 PM
My cans do the same thing. Look inflated just open the nozzle and whoosh!! Gota watch the ones that vent. I got sprayed with gas in the eye before opening one too close to my face.

Richard Martin
07-09-2007, 03:08 AM
True but you have to have an ignition source for that to occur. Swelling in a can is not an ignition source.

Remember, the vapors are what are actually burning anyway. They still have get to 700 degrees to ignite. And anyone with an ignition source around gas vapors......:hammerhead:

Gasoline is a 0 degree ignitor. That means the vapors can and most likely will explode at 0 degrees and above. Diesel is 100 degrees. It takes a 700 degree ignition source to ignite the fumes.

lawnspecialties
07-09-2007, 07:38 AM
Gasoline is a 0 degree ignitor. That means the vapors can and most likely will explode at 0 degrees and above. Diesel is 100 degrees. It takes a 700 degree ignition source to ignite the fumes.

True. But the ignition source makes that temp. achievement at the point of ignition. Then it lights and spreads the heat and flame.

EMJ
07-09-2007, 08:04 AM
You can pressurize gasoline and it will not explode. It needs an ignition source, that is why you can not run gasoline in a diesel engine. Gas is combustible Diesel is explosive.

TN Property Services
07-09-2007, 12:10 PM
Gas is combustible and diesel is explosive. Gas will not explode without a ignition source. The little yellow cap on the end of your fill spout(ie the cap) will pop off before your can splits.:hammerhead:

Uhh, wrong!

Diesel is a combustible liquid.

http://telsafe.org/Documents/NTSPGas-DieselFuelTransportation.pdf

Gasoline is a flammable liquid.

http://hazmat.dot.gov/pubs/erg/g128.pdf

MarcSmith
07-09-2007, 12:18 PM
thats the nice thing about the spring loaded steel gas cans. enough tension to keep the cap on, but when it too hot they will self vent,and they won't inflate like a ballon.

Village Idiot
07-09-2007, 06:43 PM
I too have noticed when I have gas and I get hot, I feel like I'm going to explode. This must be a common occurence.:confused:

Sydenstricker Landscaping
07-09-2007, 08:24 PM
I too have noticed when I have gas and I get hot, I feel like I'm going to explode. This must be a common occurence.:confused:

Yes, but you automatically "vent" when that happens, lmao:laugh: :laugh:

fargoboy
07-09-2007, 09:30 PM
I'll add a little fuel to the fire. You can use plastic gas cans as long as you work by yourself, but if you have employees, you will need as per Osha regulations the self sealing safety cans as described up above by Marc. Then if you are stopped by an overzealous DOT inspector you really need the DOT approved gas cans. Another word of caution is that you should never fill one of those plastic gas cans inside the bed of a truck with a plastic liner. Problem of static electricity building up while refilling.

MeadowsLawnCare
07-09-2007, 11:15 PM
I accidently left one of my blitz cans out in 90+ temp over the weekend a little while ago and it was balooned but did not pop after 2 days. I think the cap would be the first to go before anything else.

lawnboy858
07-10-2007, 01:37 AM
my blitz cans are the spill proof ones with no cap, so i dont know what would go first on mine.:confused: mabye the whole nozzle would blow?

Stillwater
07-10-2007, 01:46 AM
my blitz cans are the spill proof ones with no cap, so i dont know what would go first on mine.:confused: mabye the whole nozzle would blow?

I wouldent worry about the gas it looks like your trailer is gonna explode almost time for a bigger one.....