PDA

View Full Version : Reclaiming an area that used to be brush - How to prepare for seed?

bdoss123
07-08-2007, 06:33 PM
Hey folks, I'd like a little input on my situation.

I moved into a house last year that had a severely overgrown strip of brush on the back of the property. It's a .5 acre lot, and this area occupied approx the back 10% of it. I believe most of it was thick privet and honeysuckle, some were saplings some were full grown trees.

I would like to annex as much of this area as possible in order to enlarge my back yard. I know that I won't be able to get within 10 ft of the fence line due to roots from larger trees on my neighbors property.

I do think though, that I can gain a ~15-20ft wide strip of grass, since the soil isn't full of roots and seems to be good soil.

I plan to aerate/slitseed the entire lawn this fall, so I am asking what steps I should take to make this strip more suitable for grass.

Any help greatly appreciated.

- BD

boats47
07-08-2007, 07:28 PM
Get a bushhog and mow everything down to ground, spray with non selective herbicide, rotor-till or use a harley rake to reincorporate the soil, hydroseed the area thick and stay on top of weed control until the turf is established.