PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Income for 3-man operation

Lohse's Lawn Service
07-08-2007, 07:38 PM
I was curious what some of you guys earn in a week. I'm looking for responses from owners who have a 3-man crew. I'm trying to see if it's possible to have a $3,000 week. The most we've made in a week (my two employees and myself) is about $2300, this past week. I pay my two employees $10/hr, and I would like to gross a minimum $2,000/week. Our specialty is mowing, but we do trim hedges when needed. That's about it. I will expand further in the future, but for the time being, I will stick to the normal mowing and trimming. I'm curious to what other 3-man crews are earning on a 5-6 day work week. Thanks.

carcrz
07-08-2007, 07:58 PM
In all reality, you should be making 2 grand by yourself in a week. If you are working every day & normal business hours.

IN2MOWN
07-08-2007, 08:01 PM
In all reality, you should be making 2 grand by yourself in a week. If you are working every day & normal business hours.

Agreed. You wont have much left over for yourself after expenses with even $3000.00 a week.

Lohse's Lawn Service
07-08-2007, 08:02 PM
Carcrz, that's what I'm looking for. Thanks for the input.

Lohse's Lawn Service
07-08-2007, 08:05 PM
I believe it's all a matter of adjusting my prices. I admit, a few of my yards probably are a little cheaper than they should be.

IN2MOWN
07-08-2007, 08:07 PM
How many accounts do you have? Average price? Any additional add ons for your company? Mulching? Hedge trimming? etc?

TJLANDS
07-08-2007, 08:15 PM
One of my 3 men cews doing just 4 days residential and one day commercial
grosses well over $4500 + any extra work for the 6th day

mattfromNY
07-08-2007, 08:15 PM
Myself and one worker gross over $2400 in 3 days of mowing only. I would say a 3 man crew should easily be able to gross $4000/ week with the proper equipment and a tight route.

Lohse's Lawn Service
07-08-2007, 08:16 PM
I have about 70-75 accounts, and I've probably gained about 35 new ones this year alone. Last year I probably wasn't even making $1,000/week. This year has been the best by far for us. Out of all of those accounts, I'd say about 20-30 are weeklies, and the rest are about every 8-14 days. I have some yards that are $15, which yes, I do realize is extremely cheap and I have some that are as high as $200. I came to the realization on a previous thread I posted a few months ago that most guys won't even drop their gates for less than $30+. I have taken that into practice ever since and I am making more money than what I would have bid it for last year (when I was stupid!).

We do hedge trimming occasionally, but that's also something I've just began to dive into and trying to understand a pricing guide for trimming hedges. How do your price yours?

Lohse's Lawn Service
07-08-2007, 08:18 PM
Myself and one worker gross over $2400 in 3 days of mowing only. I would say a 3 man crew should easily be able to gross $4000/ week with the proper equipment and a tight route.

Wow. I'd say I need to bump of my prices. My accounts are all over the place, even though, that probably won't make a $1,500+/week difference. I appreciate the help.

carcrz
07-08-2007, 08:19 PM
Carcrz, that's what I'm looking for. Thanks for the input.

Any time! That's why I have chosen to go back to solo as long as I can keep up. It's too hard to find dependable people that will work for $15 an hour w/ overtime if they wanted it. If I need any bulk material (mulch or rock) for a landscape job I just have it delivered so I can get as much done as possible as fast as possible.

carcrz
07-08-2007, 08:21 PM
$15 a lawn? Why bother?

Lohse's Lawn Service
07-08-2007, 08:23 PM
This doesn't justify it, but they are next to each other and each lawn takes about 7-10 minutes for one person to mow front/back, edge, blow. These are the accounts I got at the beginning of this year before I ventured into the idea of having a minimum price for each lawn.

WJW Lawn
07-08-2007, 08:25 PM
"When I was Stupid" Man...don't beat yourself up over that...we've all been there and done that. The important thing is...ya learned and adjusted prices accordingly. I stick with my prices...and if they cant afford em...I cant afford to be there...period. I used to second guess my prices and stuff...but now I don't think twice when I tell a customer the way it's gonna be.

IN2MOWN
07-08-2007, 08:34 PM
I have about 70-75 accounts, and I've probably gained about 35 new ones this year alone. Last year I probably wasn't even making $1,000/week. This year has been the best by far for us. Out of all of those accounts, I'd say about 20-30 are weeklies, and the rest are about every 8-14 days. I have some yards that are $15, which yes, I do realize is extremely cheap and I have some that are as high as $200. I came to the realization on a previous thread I posted a few months ago that most guys won't even drop their gates for less than $30+. I have taken that into practice ever since and I am making more money than what I would have bid it for last year (when I was stupid!).

We do hedge trimming occasionally, but that's also something I've just began to dive into and trying to understand a pricing guide for trimming hedges. How do your price yours?

First of all raise your prices. Secondly forget the every other week junk. Get a schedule going for every week cuts. If the customer doesnt like it then dump them.

I charge by the hour for hedge trimming. Im a one man show and I charge $60.00 per hour for labor with a one hour minimum.

I have a $35.00 minimum for mowing also. I do have a couple of exceptions (1/2 duplexes and a yard with no back yard) but for the most part its $35.00.

I dont know how big these yards are but with 3 guys you should be able to do 75 yards in 3 days.

Lohse's Lawn Service
07-08-2007, 08:37 PM
WJW Lawn, thanks for the encouragement. I feel real good about where my business is, but I know there is room for improvement in my prices. I don't mean to come off sounding like I'm some huge business. I'm 21 years old and I realize there are some things about this business I still need to learn. I thought $2,000/week was great! And it is. But making $3,500+/week sure would be nice. Most guys who have responded may not realize that I'm mowing only, with the occasional hedge trimming. I knew if I were to expand to mulching, etc. I would be earning more. Thanks again and good luck. I appreciate your advice along with everyone else's. That's one reason why I'm on this site.

carcrz
07-08-2007, 08:41 PM
In reality, by yourself & mowing only, you should still be able to clear $3500 a week.

Lohse's Lawn Service
07-08-2007, 08:42 PM
First of all raise your prices. Secondly forget the every other week junk. Get a schedule going for every week cuts. If the customer doesnt like it then dump them.

I charge by the hour for hedge trimming. Im a one man show and I charge $60.00 per hour for labor with a one hour minimum.

I have a $35.00 minimum for mowing also. I do have a couple of exceptions (1/2 duplexes and a yard with no back yard) but for the most part its $35.00.

I dont know how big these yards are but with 3 guys you should be able to do 75 yards in 3 days.

75 yards in 3 days? Are you guys working 12-hour days? I'm sure not giving up my every other week "junk". These are old lady, out-in-the-country big yards and they pay extremely well, and we walk right through them with our equipment.

Thanks for the help with pricing hedge trimming.

IN2MOWN
07-08-2007, 08:46 PM
75 yards in 3 days? Are you guys working 12-hour days? I'm sure not giving up my every other week "junk". These are old lady, out-in-the-country big yards and they pay extremely well, and we walk right through them with our equipment.

Thanks for the help with pricing hedge trimming.

You said yourself that alot of the yards are right next to each other and 10 minute cuts. You should be able to blaze right through them. Heck I do 15 yards a day by myself. Average 9,000 to 11,000 sq foot.

Before I went into business I worked for a guy and he would send me and 2 other guys out. We would be doing 25-35 yards a day. 5 days a week. Not postage stamp yards. Some of them were acres. 10 hour days were normal.

Work smarter not harder. If you have to get bigger equipment to cut time down then do it.

The reason I wouldnt do the every other week deal is because my customers want manicured yards and after 7 days they tend to get tall and unkept.

mslawn
07-08-2007, 08:48 PM
In reality, by yourself & mowing only, you should still be able to clear $3500 a week.

In reality, this^^^^^^ is BS, if you are sayng a solo op can do that. Yes a three man crew can easily do 3500.

IN2MOWN
07-08-2007, 08:51 PM
In reality, this^^^^^^ is BS, if you are sayng a solo op can do that. Yes a three man crew can easily do 3500.

I do very close to that.

mslawn
07-08-2007, 08:56 PM
I do very close to that.

How many hours a week do you work? Is it really worth it working yourself into the dirt solo to do that? With all the hassles employees are, they are worth it. What are you going to make the week after you hurt yourself and you can't work that week? There is no bragging room for a non-existent backup plan.

carcrz
07-08-2007, 09:03 PM

I'm @ close to $1000 a day. I start @ 5 am & am done by around 3:30 to 4:30. Once your customer base is built up you can start to be picky & charge what you are worth. I don't do any more advertising, only word of mouth & referrals. I figure when I am ready to go back to having employees again I will start hitting the pavement again.

mslawn
07-08-2007, 09:08 PM
I'm @ close to $1000 a day. I start @ 5 am & am done by around 3:30 to 4:30. Once your customer base is built up you can start to be picky & charge what you are worth. I don't do any more advertising, only word of mouth & referrals. I figure when I am ready to go back to having employees again I will start hitting the pavement again.
Really? :laugh: :laugh:

IN2MOWN
07-08-2007, 09:09 PM
How many hours a week do you work? Is it really worth it working yourself into the dirt solo to do that? With all the hassles employees are, they are worth it. What are you going to make the week after you hurt yourself and you can't work that week? There is no bragging room for a non-existent backup plan.

Between 45 and 50 hours a week.

Im not bragging at all. Just waiting to get to the point where I need some help and I feel its worth it to pay someone.

carcrz
07-08-2007, 09:12 PM
Laugh if you want, but my customers are good to me & I am to them. The majority of them just tell me to do what I think needs to be done. As you can see from In2mown, it is possible in our area if you go for it.

cpel2004
07-08-2007, 09:17 PM
Carcrz, you can understand why everybody is questing you. A solo operator making 20k a month by himself that is a little difficult to believe but I will give you face value.

mkroher
07-08-2007, 09:30 PM
1K a day? That's like 20 lawns at 50 bucks a pop. and solo? pffff.. BS buddy... BS

carcrz
07-08-2007, 09:38 PM
Actually most of them have several acres or are upper-end properties. I understand why you guys doubt me, but it the internet so believe what you want. I'll leave it at that.

drmiller100
07-09-2007, 01:40 AM
3 man crews are a joke. you only have one big mower.
drop both of your helpers, and find someone that wants to make some MONEY. give him 10 an hour, plus 10 percent of gross gross.

rodfather
07-09-2007, 05:52 AM
3 man crews are a joke. you only have one big mower.

Not true...mine will have a 72" Z, a 61" Z, and a 61" WB. Some have two 72"Z's as well given the day.

coonman
07-09-2007, 05:43 PM
I never ran a 3 man crew. We always ran a 2 man. Whats everyones opinion on a 3 man vs 2 man on lots smaller than 1/4 acre. As a two man we would finish most of ours in 15-25 min depending on the lawn. Just wondering what an extra man would have bought us. I always believed it would not save enough time to justify hiring, at least on our small lawns.

carcrz
07-09-2007, 05:49 PM
On the small lots, you'll end up w/ one guy leaning against the truck waiting to blow everything off. If you have multiple lawns in one stop or a larger property then it is definitely faster w/ more employees. Two mowing & 1 trimming. If there's a lot of trimming then switch one operator to a trimmer. Whoever finishes first starts blowing & others join in if necessary.

IN2MOWN
07-09-2007, 05:50 PM
I never ran a 3 man crew. We always ran a 2 man. Whats everyones opinion on a 3 man vs 2 man on lots smaller than 1/4 acre. As a two man we would finish most of ours in 15-25 min depending on the lawn. Just wondering what an extra man would have bought us. I always believed it would not save enough time to justify hiring, at least on our small lawns.

At my old job we ran all 3 man crews. It was great when we had 30 or 40 houses on 3 streets running parallel to each other. 1 guy hit all the fronts. 1 guy hit all the backs. 1 guy trimmed and blew.

At bigger houses, more so where a 48 or larger could get in the back if there was a fence I would prefer 2 man crews.

Both have advantages.

Mark in MD
07-10-2007, 08:36 AM
In the late 80s and early to mid 90s, I had two three-man crews bringing in $3,000 each per week doing strictly mowing. It would probably be closer to $4,000 today.

cpel2004
07-13-2007, 05:56 AM
Drmiller 3 men crews aren't a joke, you live in Idaho I don't think you have the heat, humidity and summer rain storms that we deal with in the south. In addition if one guy doesn't show up to work you still have a partner. So for those reason I would choose to have 3 person crew but only if I had enough work to support it. No one wants to feel like you got the crap beat out of you everyday. However most 3 men crew are very inefficient, but that
note your employees fault.

johndeereguy
07-13-2007, 09:47 AM
Me and my one employee do around $7000 per week, could do a little more if needed to.

rodfather
07-13-2007, 04:14 PM
Me and my one employee do around $7000 per week, could do a little more if needed to.

Mowing? Sorry, find that hard to swallow.

coonman
07-13-2007, 04:39 PM
Mowing? Sorry, find that hard to swallow.

Me too, thats 1400 a day for a 5 day week. How many hours are you guys putting in?

TNT LawnCare Inc.
07-13-2007, 04:54 PM
My crew consist of me and 2 other guys that are almost as good as me. :rolleyes: They are both great workers,we easily do $4000 a week. Thats with everyone cutting and trimming and blowing. We work from 8-4 and sometimes Saturday.

jsf343
07-13-2007, 05:05 PM

I am curious what you base this on, how many per day? are you thinking 5 days of mowing? a lot of wear and tear on your body if so. You guys must be able to keep pretty decent prices in your area. What do you average?

thanks,

Jeff

jsf343
07-13-2007, 05:09 PM
You said yourself that alot of the yards are right next to each other and 10 minute cuts. You should be able to blaze right through them. Heck I do 15 yards a day by myself. Average 9,000 to 11,000 sq foot.

Before I went into business I worked for a guy and he would send me and 2 other guys out. We would be doing 25-35 yards a day. 5 days a week. Not postage stamp yards. Some of them were acres. 10 hour days were normal.

Work smarter not harder. If you have to get bigger equipment to cut time down then do it.

The reason I wouldnt do the every other week deal is because my customers want manicured yards and after 7 days they tend to get tall and unkept.

This is true for us as well. I have the same saying for my guys, "smarter not harder" let the equipment do the work.:laugh:

jsf343
07-13-2007, 05:15 PM

got to get my boots on. This thread is about mowing... you make that mowing?! I really would love to hear some more details because I am obviously not doing something right. spill the beans.

Mark in MD
07-14-2007, 03:25 PM
1K a day? That's like 20 lawns at 50 bucks a pop. and solo? pffff.. BS buddy... BSWell, who knows. Maybe in Kansas City, MO, he's got zero competition, and he can charge moon high prices.

I worked my ass off yesterday, 13.5 hours by myself. I cut 32 lawns. I made $826, gross. I could charge a little more -- and I plan to next year. But fact is, I don't want to work like I did yesterday -- everyday.

rodfather
07-14-2007, 04:31 PM
Well, who knows. Maybe in Kansas City, MO, he's got zero competition, and he can charge moon high prices.

I worked my ass off yesterday, 13.5 hours by myself. I cut 32 lawns. I made $826, gross. I could charge a little more -- and I plan to next year. But fact is, I don't want to work like I did yesterday -- everyday.

Nice payday there Mark...sounds like you you'll be looking for the Aleve soon and tomorrow am too.

ALBsun1
07-14-2007, 04:38 PM
Are your helpers close friends or family that need the work? The reason i ask is, it seems like you, being 21, could easily dump your help and handle that work load solo, and keep all the money. It is hard though if others are depending on you for the money.

johndeereguy
07-14-2007, 05:50 PM
Well you may thing I am not telling the truth, but that is what it adds up to every week, all in mowing. My employee works about 50 hours a week, I put in 90 or so mowing.

rodfather
07-14-2007, 05:56 PM
Well you may thing I am not telling the truth, but that is what it adds up to every week, all in mowing. My employee works about 50 hours a week, I put in 90 or so mowing.

So with absolutely no travel time, downtime, weather delays, unforeseen issues, you average $50 per hour for those 140 hours each week after week...not calling you a liar, just don't see it happening after doing this with 8 and more employees for the past 14 years.

No one bills out mowing revenue 13 hours a day 7 days a week...I might have been born at night, but it wasn't last night. You trying to tell me you get higher mowing rates in Iowa then I get here in NJ. I don't think so sport.

Your profile says you have 3 JD 72" mowers and 2 more 60" mowers. What the hell do you need that many mowers for just the two of ya? And they are all 2007 units??? Helloooooooooooooo

johndeereguy
07-14-2007, 07:05 PM
Yes they are all 2007's and all paid for with cash. Also I run a tractor with a 16ft. land pride mower. That I usually get around $90 per hour with it. Not sure why I even ever post on here. Not worth the hassle. You can fly out here and I can show ya what I mow in a week. My average mowing job is over $220 per cut. 5 of them are over $700 per cut, one is $1000. I cut appox. 385 acres a week. Next thing you will tell me is I don't charge enough. So one guy say I am a lier by saying what I gross per week, another thread is saying I don't charge enough. I guess I will just forget this site and move on.

rodfather
07-14-2007, 07:25 PM
Yes they are all 2007's and all paid for with cash. Also I run a tractor with a 16ft. land pride mower. That I usually get around $90 per hour with it. Not sure why I even ever post on here. Not worth the hassle. You can fly out here and I can show ya what I mow in a week. My average mowing job is over $220 per cut. 5 of them are over $700 per cut, one is $1000. I cut appox. 385 acres a week. Next thing you will tell me is I don't charge enough. So one guy say I am a lier by saying what I gross per week, another thread is saying I don't charge enough. I guess I will just forget this site and move on.

Frankly I don't care how you paid for your equipment and I don't need to waste the money on a plane ticket to figure this all out...but let's try this anyway.

$7,000 a week for 385 acres is $18.18 per acre. $18.18 an acre for 140 hours a week (as you stated earlier from you and a 50 hour per week helper) comes to $2,545.45 total . Sooooooooooo, where does the other $4500 in mowing revenue come from I would like to know?

IN2MOWN
07-14-2007, 07:35 PM
Frankly I don't care how you paid for your equipment and I don't need to waste the money on a plane ticket to figure this all out...but let's try this anyway.

$7,000 a week for 385 acres is $18.18 per acre. $18.18 an acre for 140 hours a week (as you stated earlier from you and a 50 hour per week helper) comes to $2,545.45 total . Sooooooooooo, where does the other $4500 in mowing revenue come from I would like to know?

Wow, can these income threads get any pettier?

rodfather
07-14-2007, 07:47 PM
Wow, can these income threads get any pettier?

I am just trying to figure out if I have been so far off base after 14 years...that is all, trust me.

IN2MOWN
07-14-2007, 07:59 PM
I am just trying to figure out if I have been so far off base after 14 years...that is all, trust me.

PUUUUUULLLLLLEEEEAAAASSSEEEEEEE!

No your not. You know you are right where you want to be in business.

What you and others are doing are calling people out because you think they are liars.

What I don't understand is if you think they are lying then why bother responding? Why not just get a laugh and skip over it instead of accusing people and trying to embarrass them in a public forum where the MAIN goal happens to be to try and learn from one another?

TNT LawnCare Inc.
07-14-2007, 08:12 PM

The 90 hours you put in a week is that 7 days a week sun-up to sun-down? Iwould like to know ? Thks.

Mark in MD
07-15-2007, 09:18 AM
Nice payday there Mark...sounds like you you'll be looking for the Aleve soon and tomorrow am too.haha, yeah, it's Sunday morning and my hands still ache from squeezing those levers.

rodfather
07-15-2007, 09:22 AM
haha, yeah, it's Sunday morning and my hands still ache from squeezing those levers.

yeah but a couple more days like that and you'll have forearms like Popeye :laugh:

LawnMowerMan3875
01-07-2008, 11:12 AM
I have to agree with IN2MOWN. I'm from the rural KC. Mo. area and how found out that different states, different weather conditions, DIFFERENT PRICES!!! We all are in this to make a decent living and try not to lowball the others just to get work, because we all know that lowballing may work at first. But after the 1st year, they have to raise prices so they can actually pay bills and make a living....I can't call anyone a liar for what they make...But anyone with half a brain and maybe even a calculator can do the math...So, like IN2MOWN, LAUGH IT OFF LIKE A GOOD OLE BLUE COMEDY TOUR....

LawnMowerMan3875
01-07-2008, 11:21 AM
Hey Guys,,,,,If you think his story in off in never, never land, I got one for you....While attending a Basketball Game (we won't go into details, don't want to offend anyone..lol..) I ran into this couple from the KC area. We were talking about the warm up weather we were having and the girfriend starting bragging on how much her boyfriend made in Dec. for Snow Removal. Remember, she is doing all the takling....If anyone on here is from the KC area, they know how much snow we had during the whole month of Dec. 2007...3 Storms....Well, I hope I have your attention.....She said he made.......................$90,000.00 for doing just snow removal.....I looked at the guy a couple of times and all I seen was him smoking a cig. and looking at his feet. He didn't say a word....Its one thing for the owner or worker to brag.....But your new girlfriend???????? CCCCCCCOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEOOOOOOONNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry, I said Brag?????

Flex-Deck
01-07-2008, 05:49 PM

My wife and I average $885/day. When I have part time help run the third mower, it goes up to about $1150/day. Some days more, some less depending on the properties we do. I like to reserve the large (10 acres and up) for that scenario.

When I get full time, two of us will gross 126,000 in 6.5 to 7 months.

IN2MOWN
01-07-2008, 06:00 PM
Hey Guys,,,,,If you think his story in off in never, never land, I got one for you....While attending a Basketball Game (we won't go into details, don't want to offend anyone..lol..) I ran into this couple from the KC area. We were talking about the warm up weather we were having and the girfriend starting bragging on how much her boyfriend made in Dec. for Snow Removal. Remember, she is doing all the takling....If anyone on here is from the KC area, they know how much snow we had during the whole month of Dec. 2007...3 Storms....Well, I hope I have your attention.....She said he made.......................$90,000.00 for doing just snow removal.....I looked at the guy a couple of times and all I seen was him smoking a cig. and looking at his feet. He didn't say a word....Its one thing for the owner or worker to brag.....But your new girlfriend???????? CCCCCCCOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEOOOOOOONNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry, I said Brag?????

I did snow removal for 5 storms in the month of December and to be honest with you the guy I work for when we do snow removal billed out over 6 figures for the whole month for all the storms. Its not that much of a stretch the she could be telling the truth.

TJLANDS
01-07-2008, 07:05 PM
I did snow removal for 5 storms in the month of December and to be honest with you the guy I work for when we do snow removal billed out over 6 figures for the whole month for all the storms. Its not that much of a stretch the she could be telling the truth.

Just so you know, Snow Services is the most profitable part of my business and if it ever snows in NJ there is plenty of green to be made.payuppayup

supercuts
01-07-2008, 08:07 PM
Just so you know, Snow Services is the most profitable part of my business and if it ever snows in NJ there is plenty of green to be made.payuppayup

same here, about $4K+ per 3" storm in only 5-8hrs depending on conditions. 90k?? if it is true, good for him, im happy with my numbers though

RegalLawnCare.Com
01-08-2008, 12:25 AM
For me, a two-man crew does about $2100 to $2500. I expect a two-man crew to do 12-15 yards per/day on a fairly tight route. at an average of about $35 per/lawn. For a three man crew I'm looking at 16-20 lawns per/day, which would be revenue of between $2800 to $3500. throw in a Saturday and your looking at $3500 to $4000. They can do more than this, especially in areas where we have higher density, but much more and you are sure to deliver less quality, at least for my company, which isn't a trade-off I like to make.

TJLANDS
01-08-2008, 07:18 PM
same here, about $4K+ per 3" storm in only 5-8hrs depending on conditions. 90k?? if it is true, good for him, im happy with my numbers though

For the Warm season, lawn and landscape, I run 12 Full Timers at the most.
For the Snow season I run at least 30 guys per storm, including my subs. I think it is easier and I really enjoy snow work.

poonero
01-08-2008, 07:25 PM

i guess that explains the 60k in mowers for 2 guys???? half of what has been said on this thread is just plain lies and most of the rest dont know or understand their operating cost. do yourself a favor and learn what its costing you to operate and you will know if your making money. 7k a week with 2guys???

bj1bmx
01-08-2008, 10:30 PM
i do about 2200-2500 in a 30 hour week (just mowing) as a solo operator. i have some bi-weekly accounts which explains the price variation. in the summer, i have a helper and we complete the lawns in just over 20 hours. sooooo, if you want to assume that we can keep this up for an extra 20 hours a week, then we could be grossing around $5000 per week for a 2 man crew. 3 man crew, i would hope that gross would be over $6000 for a 40-50 hour week. not sure I would ever want to run a 3 man crew here in NJ, the lots just arent big enough. one guy just stands around half the time trying to find something to do...

01-21-2008, 02:59 PM

Where did you go to school? Your math stinks. All you did was figure out his price per acre, and mulitply that times the work hours.

Do you really think he is only mowing 1 acre an hour?

I believe him on his $7000 a week. That comes out to 2.75 acres/hr, which is low for his equipment, but figuring in travel time it works out. I am guessing he has 20 hrs/wk(x 2ppl=40) of unproductive hours- bringing his mowing hours to 100, and his acres/hr to 3.85- which is right on for his equipment.

Note: At 100 actual mowing hours(billable hours) that puts him at charging $70/hr. Sounds right on to me.

Think about it.

TomberLawn
01-21-2008, 05:43 PM
IMAGE, I just pulled the calculator a couple minutes ago and figured the exact same thing you did. On huge properties, I can see doing over $1000 a day, but it would be very tiring.

NBI Lawn
01-21-2008, 05:55 PM

x2, I only work 2.5 days a week (mowing) and make 3x as much as I do flying.

Prolawnservice
01-21-2008, 07:21 PM
We have one lawn that's $27 weekly that takes 3-5 mins full service that is our lowest priced account. I have 1 two man crew that averages around 1000 per 8 hour day 4 days a week. My guys are super efficient, because the more money the company makes the more they make. Our average lawn is $42 weekly and is done in 15mins full service. I can't understand how you guys can make a living charging 20 and 25 a cut biweekly for half an acre, you really have to get more efficient and raise your prices, yes you'll lose some customers but you don't want that kind of customer any way. Learn to run a business not just provide yourself with a JOB.

Grassman_Floyd
01-22-2008, 08:37 PM
I dont like to run 3 man crews. I like the 2 man crews better. I run 4 2 man crews and figure I am more profitable than 3. I figure a 2 man crew should be able to do about $750. a day. For hedge trimming work, flower beds, ect. $37.50 a man hour. I also figure a surcharge for gas of 1-3% if gas gets over $3.30. Most of my clients are 1/4+ acres in size and I will not mow a lawn $30. PER TIME.