PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about trimming...

sue27hugs
07-08-2007, 09:30 PM
I posted this earlier but I did it in the wrong forum. I hope I have it right this time. Please excuse me, I am new here. Thanks

I am thinking of doing some weeding and bush trimming/pruning to earn some cash. I am a stay at home mom with 2 kids. I posted a thread at a community website for my area asking if anyone needed someone to do weeding and bush trimming. I had a response from someone about 5 miles away. She has about 15 overgrown bushes all together. She has several honeysuckle bushes, Yews and Juniper bushes. These bushes measure about 6-9 feet tall (depending on the bush). Most of them are about 4-6 foot wide. She has lots of weeding to be done between the bushes. What would be the best way to tackle these overgrown bushes (besides a shovel LOL)? Can anyone help me? Also, what time of year should this be done?
How much you personally charge for a job like this?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Sue-Beginner

bohiaa
07-08-2007, 09:47 PM
sounds like a BIG job, you will need gas powered hedge trimmers,

and remember you'll have to haul it away.

DuraCutter
07-08-2007, 11:49 PM
I posted this earlier but I did it in the wrong forum. I hope I have it right this time. Please excuse me, I am new here. Thanks

I am thinking of doing some weeding and bush trimming/pruning to earn some cash. I am a stay at home mom with 2 kids. I posted a thread at a community website for my area asking if anyone needed someone to do weeding and bush trimming. I had a response from someone about 5 miles away. She has about 15 overgrown bushes all together. She has several honeysuckle bushes, Yews and Juniper bushes. These bushes measure about 6-9 feet tall (depending on the bush). Most of them are about 4-6 foot wide. She has lots of weeding to be done between the bushes. What would be the best way to tackle these overgrown bushes (besides a shovel LOL)? Can anyone help me? Also, what time of year should this be done?
How much you personally charge for a job like this?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Sue-Beginner

The trees are quite high if you have to prune all the way to the top. That in itself can take quite a bit of time. If you have to rent equipment, you'll also have to rent the safety gear that goes with it.

It wouldn't surprise me if this was to take close to 1 1/2 day doing it alone without much experience like what you have.

Check the net, study pruning and I would probably charge just under $400. Of course that depends on the cost of rentals etc...

:)

TNT LawnCare Inc.
07-09-2007, 12:39 PM
Sue you need to ask how much this client wants trimmed off of these bushes top and sides. If your short you may have to go up and down a ladder. You might need a set of hedge trimmers,like a multi task tool. Your gonna need plenty of trash bags too. I also think $400 would sound about right,without seeing the property thou hard to say,GOOD LUCK .

KrayzKajun
07-09-2007, 12:48 PM
Sue you need to ask how much this client wants trimmed off of these bushes top and sides. If your short you may have to go up and down a ladder. You might need a set of hedge trimmers,like a multi task tool. Your gonna need plenty of trash bags too. I also think $400 would sound about right,without seeing the property thou hard to say,GOOD LUCK .

Ditto!! $400-$600 depending if you have to haul it all away

Gatewayuser
07-09-2007, 08:13 PM
I'm going to say close to $800 because those are wide and tall which will be a bear to tackle with possibly multiple truck loads of debris. Just be careful, Sue, trimming bushes of those sizes can be dangerous even more if using power hedge trimmers! Good luck and welcome to the industry enjoy your stay! Also pricing is going to depend on location and class of area.

sue27hugs
07-09-2007, 10:16 PM
This lady has a farm and I am betting she has somewhere to put the debris, like a fire pit. I will try to get some photos this week to give everyone an idea of this job. I'm not sure she wants to take off the height because a highway in right in front of the house. I think she just wants them to look better.
Thanks for all the help!!!

sue27hugs
07-16-2007, 11:38 PM
Here are some pictures of the bushes.

TNT LawnCare Inc.
07-17-2007, 12:00 AM
Sue looks like your going to need a set of extended length hedge trimmers. You might need a ladder if your short.,be very careful reaching with just a pair of regular trimmers you could slip and fall off a ladder. I'd still charge about $400-500 bucks. But i could dump it all in one trip. Looks like you got some small trees gowing in some of the bushes.

echeandia
07-17-2007, 10:45 AM
I would not use a hedge trimmer. Selectively prune each shrub and you will have a much more naturally appearing plants.

sue27hugs
07-17-2007, 12:17 PM
I went to the lady's house on Sunday to start on her bushes. I did the ones in the front of the house. I worked 3 hours with a hand held pruner. She paid me $30. That does not sound like much but her daughters watched my 5 and 1 year old boys the whole time, so she saved me money on a babysitter. What do you think of the job I did? She does have some mulberry trees growing in with some of the bushes on the side of the house. Her husband is going to remove mulberry trees, so I don't have to worry about them. I did not have to use a ladder or haul away the debris, she gave the debris to her goats.
Thanks for all the replies!!

TNT LawnCare Inc.
07-17-2007, 01:43 PM
You did a good job SUE. Keep up the good work.

fiveoboy01
07-17-2007, 02:37 PM
Looks good, but 10 bucks per hour is nothing.

You should have been paid at LEAST $120-150 for that job.

That lady should be chastised for giving you a measly 30 bucks for 3 hours' of work.

martinfan06
07-17-2007, 02:51 PM
I have to agree good job ......but 100 minimum good job though.

sue27hugs
07-17-2007, 04:50 PM
Looks good, but 10 bucks per hour is nothing.

You should have been paid at LEAST $120-150 for that job.

That lady should be chastised for giving you a measly 30 bucks for 3 hours' of work.

I have to agree good job ......but 100 minimum good job though.

Thanks guys. You have to remember, I do not own a business, I am just doing this for some extra cash. I don't have a license nor am I insured. Also I did not have to pay a babysitter, that would have been $30 in itself.

Please would the both of you (and anyone else) take a look at the pictures on the first page of the thread and tell me what you think about the 2 bushes on the side of the house, the huge honey suckle and the huge Yew, and tell me what you would charge just for those 2 if you were an amature like me? That area will probably be the next to be trimmed.
Thanks again so much for everyone's help.