PDA

View Full Version : Worst day ever!!

pjslawncare/landscap
07-08-2007, 10:19 PM
Im mowing this big commercial account in this business district. Just finishing up the big lot by the road when I duck down to clear a branch of a Bradford when SMACK!!!. The side of my face smashes into the control panel on my WB and Im out. Wake up with a nice lady asking if Im ok, I look around trying to figure out what happend when I hear a siren and its getting closer. Im thinking, gee those sirens are getting close, wonder what happend. Hell, there comming for me. Well after the emergency visit and all, I got a fractured jaw and minor concussion. The best I figure, I bounced over a surface root at the same time I ducked and between the control panel and my face, the control panel wooooped my azz (or face).
Be carefull people, it can be rough out there :hammerhead:

bohiaa
07-08-2007, 10:26 PM
Holy cow man,

was you working solo ?

mattfromNY
07-08-2007, 10:30 PM
Better get an aspirin, and a pad for that control panel. Hope you get feeling better real quick.
Please dont let the gov't. know about this, or we may all be required to wear helmets when mowing. LOL.

Vikings
07-08-2007, 10:35 PM
ROFL:laugh: That's so funny:drinkup:

P.Services
07-08-2007, 10:47 PM
Thats why i need to hook up all my safteys on my scag walker, it could have been alot worse if that mower left you behind and kept on going.

Ramairfreak98ss
07-09-2007, 12:47 AM
damn, yeah stuff happens fast, i got whooped by a swinging branch before on my zero turn, hit my hand on the left bar and by the time i let go to try and grab it it smacked me hard in the chest, enough to make me cough for a second, i watch out for that one now.

DLCS
07-09-2007, 01:08 AM
LOL, thats one of those accidents where you get up and look around to see if anyone saw you. Hope you feel better tomorow.

A couple of years ago I was bagging leaves in my father in law's back yard. I was putting the front of my JD 757 under the swings on their swingset to cause i couldn't go completely under it. Well as i was backing out the foot peadl to raise and lower the deck cought one of the swings. I ended up pulling the entire swingset over on me. The top steel tube landed on top of my head knocked me out after i got off the ztr. It can get crazy sometimes.lol

TurfProSTL
07-09-2007, 03:59 AM
One of our guys did the duck-under-tree-branch-while-hitting-tree root maneuver on his PermaGreen. Cost him a tooth.....

Swampy
07-09-2007, 04:17 AM
you get a scrip for drugs?

I rolled a JD 2210 down a side of a hill, front tire lifted off and "OH SH!T" came out (Thank god for seat belts). Hit my head against the roll bar. Yeah it hurt but for 2 days I was in a nice haze from the scrip hydrocodine and diapazem (SP on those).

rodfather
07-09-2007, 06:45 AM
Operating any kind of mower these days should never be taken lightly

Eric D
07-09-2007, 07:30 AM
Man, that sucks! It could have been worse. Don't tell any Gov people though, they'll have AIR Bags installed into our control panels!

Hope you get feeling better.

Eric D

MarcSmith
07-09-2007, 08:54 AM
Just think....if you had ducker your head between legs, you MAY have actually been able to kiss your own Ass......:) J/K hope all is better.

I think we've all had days were we've done stuff and looked around and hoped that no one was looking....I remember driving the Z on the tailgate of the trailer....and not having the ball locked down...on the way up the wires pulled out of the plugs, and on the way down the toung of the trailer did a number on the trucks tailgate....:cry: At least it was my own truck...

rodfather
07-09-2007, 04:37 PM
I remember driving the Z on the tailgate of the trailer....and not having the ball locked down...on the way up the wires pulled out of the plugs, and on the way down the toung of the trailer did a number on the trucks tailgate....:cry: At least it was my own truck...

and I thought I was the only one to ever have done that :laugh:

cgaengineer
07-09-2007, 05:25 PM
Just think....if you had ducker your head between legs, you MAY have actually been able to kiss your own Ass......:) J/K hope all is better.

I think we've all had days were we've done stuff and looked around and hoped that no one was looking....I remember driving the Z on the tailgate of the trailer....and not having the ball locked down...on the way up the wires pulled out of the plugs, and on the way down the toung of the trailer did a number on the trucks tailgate....:cry: At least it was my own truck...

I drove off with the trailer not locked on ball...had the chains and wires hooked up and it didnt do any damage...but now I double check to make sure it mounted.

Woody82986
07-09-2007, 05:56 PM
I think we've all had days were we've done stuff and looked around and hoped that no one was looking....I remember driving the Z on the tailgate of the trailer....and not having the ball locked down...on the way up the wires pulled out of the plugs, and on the way down the toung of the trailer did a number on the trucks tailgate....:cry: At least it was my own truck...[/QUOTE]

I did that exact same thing a few years ago. I am so glad I'm not the only forgetful person out there. Could have been worse. I had this one lawn I used to do that had a large low hanging branch. I hit that thing dead on each time I mowed for the first three weeks before I finally remembered to duck...

MuleCutter
07-09-2007, 08:15 PM
LOL, thats one of those accidents where you get up and look around to see if anyone saw you. Hope you feel better tomorow.

A couple of years ago I was bagging leaves in my father in law's back yard. I was putting the front of my JD 757 under the swings on their swingset to cause i couldn't go completely under it. Well as i was backing out the foot peadl to raise and lower the deck cought one of the swings. I ended up pulling the entire swingset over on me. The top steel tube landed on top of my head knocked me out after i got off the ztr. It can get crazy sometimes.lol

LOL that's happened to me too but it was the front caster on my lazer that caught the swing.... i think the whole neighborhood heard me scream expletives.... prolly why i didnt get anymore yards in that neighborhood... LOL!!!!

jsf343
07-09-2007, 08:30 PM

too funny Marc, I drove half way down the road today with the gate still down. :laugh: The heat I guess. duuuuuuuuu:hammerhead:

JoshC
07-10-2007, 12:41 AM
Last week I was trimming around a tree and of course wasn't looking up. I walked right into some kind of ceramic birdfeeder with my forehead. I always thought that "seeing stars" was just an expression, well I saw stars. There were little white dots floating all around me for a couple of minutes. To top it off, the dang feeder fell off of the hook it was hanging from and landed on my right big toe. I'm just glad their weren't any neighbors close by. I'm sure I looked like a real moron.

MOW ED
07-10-2007, 08:01 AM
Ouch. That blows but at least you have your teeth and your yapper will heal in time. One good thing is that its always a good time for a milkshake while you are firing up the Stilhl chainsaw. That tree would be history. Get well soon.

Lawnut101
07-10-2007, 02:47 PM
did you get her phone number? lol jk. Hope you get better soon!

pjslawncare/landscap
07-10-2007, 08:59 PM

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ouch! it hurts when I laugh, but thats just funny.:laugh: :laugh:

Vikings
07-10-2007, 09:24 PM
Well he says his lawn mower knocked him out...

http://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/11/07/22620711.jpg

jvorwald7
07-10-2007, 10:53 PM
I was trimming hedges today and the trimmer kicked back and got my arm pretty good. I went home cleaned up the womb and wrapped it up because I had so much to do today. After I was done with my work today, I went to the ER and had to get 40 stiches.

FATWEASEL
07-10-2007, 11:32 PM
I went home cleaned up the womb........ After I was done with my work today, I went to the ER and had to get 40 stiches.

:dizzy:How ya gonna get the baby out???:confused: :laugh:

jvorwald7
07-11-2007, 01:03 AM
haha my bad. wasnt thinkin straight i guess... correction wound

KS_Grasscutter
07-11-2007, 01:14 AM
and I thought I was the only one to ever have done that :laugh:

I guess that makes three of us that have done that:laugh: I actually see a few trucks from time to time with the infamous dent and scratch on the tailgate.

Swampy
07-11-2007, 02:29 AM
I guess that makes three of us that have done that:laugh: I actually see a few trucks from time to time with the infamous dent and scratch on the tailgate.

count me on that tally twice. Receiver popped off the ball while loading the Skidsteer on the 350, ended up crushing the rear bumper. Also unloading trailer (was uncoupled) got the Toro 325 off fine but the Toro ZTR popped the trailer into one of the tail lights of the 450. DOH!!!

wildweasel7648
07-11-2007, 11:46 AM
I was trimming hedges today and the trimmer kicked back and got my arm pretty good. I went home cleaned up the womb and wrapped it up because I had so much to do today. After I was done with my work today, I went to the ER and had to get 40 stiches.

Problem with wombs is they are always needing cleaned up. Is it a womb with a veiw?
(couldn't resist!):laugh:

I was trimming with my WB under some pines the other day and a low hanging limb attacked me. I was looking back, rubbing my head, and saying unflattering things to the limb when the second one layed me out! Yes indeed! I got up and looked around hooping no one saw the moronic lawn guy in action.:hammerhead:

Eakern & Dog
07-11-2007, 12:00 PM
Problem with wombs is they are always needing cleaned up. Is it a womb with a veiw?
(couldn't resist!)

LMAO............Priceless !

Budget
07-11-2007, 01:47 PM
Good to know what can happen to you on a WB. I will try to learn by your mistakes, cause i do that all the time on mine. It is just a matter of time and i am sure i would be on the ground picking up my teeth too.
Hope you are ok, and thanks for sharing.

flathead
07-11-2007, 03:03 PM
Operating any kind of mower these days should never be taken lightly

I have not read the entire thread, but i have to strongly agree with Rodfather on this point. I have actually heard of a situation where a mower got away from a man (I don't remember the exact details of how), and ended up chasing him. If I remember correctly, it was a large hydro w/b. He was extremely lucky to escape without injury.

rodfather
07-11-2007, 07:02 PM
I have not read the entire thread, but i have to strongly agree with Rodfather on this point. I have actually heard of a situation where a mower got away from a man (I don't remember the exact details of how), and ended up chasing him. If I remember correctly, it was a large hydro w/b. He was extremely lucky to escape without injury.

hmmm...that would be me I am afraid with one of my 61" hydro WB's. :waving:

jsf343
07-11-2007, 07:25 PM
hmmm...that would be me I am afraid with one of my 61" hydro WB's. :waving:

:laugh: :laugh: hahahahah I never saw anything on that, is there a thread about it Rod? That would be a bit scary, bet you have not ran that fast in years. You name that mower the man eater?

rodfather
07-11-2007, 07:27 PM
:laugh: :laugh: hahahahah I never saw anything on that, is there a thread about it Rod? That would be a bit scary, bet you have not ran that fast in years. You name that mower the man eater?

actually I am trying to find it now...got it

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=162382&highlight=Day&page=3

jsf343
07-11-2007, 09:02 PM
actually I am trying to find it now...got it

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=162382&highlight=Day&page=3

wow, that is a scary story. I am glad you are ok. How did the mower come out, was it the groundsmaster? Hydro actually went out and then came back in, was it low on fluid or a blockage or something?

I have to say every time I read something like that it reaffirms how dangerous those machines CAN be.

anyway glad you were ok Rod, hope nobody caught you on tape.:laugh:

lifetree
07-11-2007, 09:18 PM
Interesting stories from real life experience !!

JayD
07-14-2007, 06:52 AM
Wow!
I'm so glad that you have shared that with us, man I am always having to duck under branches. I will be careful when doing that again. In fact, I have been getting so fed up with ducking, I have been trimming some of them myself. All I need is to poke out an eye. So far customers have not said anything about me trimming on them.

Let me tell you about one of my dumb a$$ moments. My first week in this, I bring home my new 52" WB on my new 5x10 trailer and park in front of my house to practice with the new mower and my wife needed out of the driveway so I unhooked my trailer from the truck and pulled it froward. A few hours later It was starting to rain lightly so I was in a hurry to load the mower back unto the trailer and found out real quick that you don't do that with the trailer unhooked. Yep, the front end of the trailer flew up into the air and I was lost control of the mower and the trailer slammed down and while trying to regain the mower, the trailer flew up yet again, and would't you know that my neighbors across the street had about 10 people there in the front yard all laughing at me. I looked over at them when it was all over and told them that they all owed me $5.00 for the entertainment show.