PDA

View Full Version : I make 20k a month as a Solo Operator

cpel2004
07-08-2007, 09:22 PM
Ok here's the deal there's one operator that's stating he makes 1k a day working 10 hours days by himself. Can some one please teach me how to make money like this, lol. Help me out with this one?

mkroher
07-08-2007, 09:23 PM
mowing lawns? solo? doubt it.

IN2MOWN
07-08-2007, 09:24 PM
Ok here's the deal there's one operator that's stating he makes 1k a day working 10 hours days by himself. Can some one please teach me how to make money like this, lol. Help me out with this one?

You said in another post you take what he wrote at face value.

Why have you then started another thread just to call him out?

bohiaa
07-08-2007, 09:25 PM
the most I have made in 1 day solo was 580.00

and belive me that's NOT every day

mattfromNY
07-08-2007, 09:28 PM
Drop the gate, mow the front lawn, go to the back yard and break into the house, steal all the money and jewels... repeat as necessary. LOL. Not really a long term goal, but maybe it would work for a day or two.

carcrz
07-08-2007, 09:40 PM
Couldn't this have done in a PM? Oh well. Why isn't it possible? 10 hour day @ $100 an hour. Is it that hard to believe? They're either acreages or high-end properties.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
07-08-2007, 09:46 PM
I have made 1k on days but there are far and few,most solo operator's $200 some days $400 average give or take a few.

KTO Enterprises
07-08-2007, 09:50 PM
I can do it on a tractor. But not doing lawns. It would take a lot of patio homes in a real close vicinity to do it.

We have a Del Webb development here that I know of people having an entire week worth of work within a close proximity of each other. All are 20 minute yards with a 36 inch Z and they get 35 per trip for them.

Seems possible to me if someone is in the right area.

I currently do about 5 houses in a Centex Development. They take me 18 minutes to do and I get 30 per cut. Can do all 5 in less than 2 hours easily.

txgrassguy
07-08-2007, 09:51 PM
Amounts like this by one person may, just may be possible upon occasion.
Sustained? I doubt it.
High end properties require more work than a solo operator can complete, particularly given the size and elaborateness of the landscape on an given type of repeatable schedule.
Certainly on installs a solo operator may gross a thousand per day yet actual net this amount I seriously doubt.

Sydenstricker Landscaping
07-08-2007, 09:51 PM
Im solo and usually make 200 give or take a day. I have made 800 bucks in one day, but that was from landscape work, not lawn cutting. I wish I could make 20k a month solo.

jsaunders
07-08-2007, 09:52 PM
Drop the gate, mow the front lawn, go to the back yard and break into the house, steal all the money and jewels... repeat as necessary. LOL. Not really a long term goal, but maybe it would work for a day or two.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Mowing at least 500 a day- yet only 3.5 days of mowing- Best of $960 myself one long day. 2 guys mowing an easy 1k

Vikings
07-08-2007, 09:53 PM
I've also had $800 dollar days (at least a couple of them) but it was during spring clean up and I had a few people with me.

Over $500 Cleaning Windows, many times with one experienced helper.

privatelawn
07-08-2007, 09:55 PM
$200 a day mowing ? what happened to $1 per minute?... On one of my other threads seamed everyone wanted to bash me for cutting dropping my gate for $20-$25 per home yet in 8 hours Id make way more then $200 with my prices.

mattfromNY
07-08-2007, 09:55 PM
Mondays are my commercial accounts, Myself and one employee clear $1000 that day on 10 accounts. Its a long day, but always gets the week off to a good start.

cpel2004
07-08-2007, 10:03 PM
Were talking about a solo operation.

KTO Enterprises
07-08-2007, 10:05 PM
I believe its possible

carcrz
07-08-2007, 10:07 PM
I tired to edit the above post so this could be there, but there is a 10 minute limit.

And this thread was started from somebody in the business for 7 months. Couldn't this have done in a PM?

A little bit about me, not that it is necessary, but I can't remember if I ever told my story in the intro section. I moved to the KC area when I was 12 years old. My folks owned a full service car wash that was quite successful. The end of 2001, they received an offer to purchase & decided that it would be a good time to try something else. Dad & I have always loved doing landscaping & lawn care & felt that this was something we could do together. Jumping ahead a little... Dad was in a pretty serious accident 2 years ago (non-industry related & life flighted out) & decided this was no longer the business for him so I took everything over & bought his portion out, this was in '04. Since then I have continued providing quality services to my customers & they have continued sending others to me. I guess I must be doing something right. I provide a full-service lawn care & landscaping program to anyone that would like to do so. In the winter months I provide commercial snow removal. For extra money when I'm not doing anything else, I do some Hazmat Response. I typically do their soil removal & re-grading to bring it back to the specs that MDNR wants. Hope that gives a little insight about me.

coonman
07-08-2007, 10:56 PM
If you are talking one person and mowing only, I don't buy it. I see these figures quoted on here all the time, they get higher and higher by the day. You can only do so many accounts a day by yourself. No matter how fast you mow with a z or walk behind each lawn usually requires at least 10 min of Trim, edge and blow time. Add some drive time and other misc time. I just don't see how 1 guy can do much better than 2 and maybe 3 lawns at the most per hour when you add it all together. I would like to know his secret, he would have to average a completed lawn every 15-20 minutes all day long.

privatelawn
07-08-2007, 11:04 PM
here I can do 3 per hour all day long at $24 a lawn so for 10 hours that would be $720 for a day but I dont work 10 hour days, for those with higher prices then me say $35 per lawn that would be $1050 for the day but I doubt anyone here would pay that much.

IN2MOWN
07-08-2007, 11:08 PM
Just to let all of you know. Nowhere in this thread or the other one that this talk was started in did carcrz say his income came 100% from mowing but most of you have ASSumed it.

carcrz
07-08-2007, 11:09 PM
coonman, I think you may have missed the fact that I do acreages. I don't really have any little in & out lawns. Of the smaller residential lawns I do have, they are all grouped together & I'm usually there for a few hours w/o moving the truck.

carcrz
07-08-2007, 11:11 PM
Just to let all of you know. Nowhere in this thread or the other one that this talk was started in did carcrz say his income came 100% from mowing but most of you have ASSumed it.

Thank you sir. I'm not sure how all of this came about. I don't think they realize the amount that people are willing to pay in our area for people that will continue to be in business for consecutive years.

IN2MOWN
07-08-2007, 11:15 PM
Thank you sir. I'm not sure how all of this came about. I don't think they realize the amount that people are willing to pay in our area for people that will continue to be in business for consecutive years.

It's doing nothing but growing around here. There is plenty of business to go around. I was shocked when I raised my minimum up to $35 and met little if no resistance from potential customers. Most of my houses are $40 - $60 and I do about 15 a day. The money is there to be made.

IN2MOWN
07-08-2007, 11:16 PM
People will question. Its in their nature. Although I did notice that most of the ones who were calling you out have been in business less then a year. Make a believer out of them!

coonman
07-08-2007, 11:22 PM
here I can do 3 per hour all day long at $24 a lawn so for 10 hours that would be $720 for a day but I dont work 10 hour days, for those with higher prices then me say $35 per lawn that would be $1050 for the day but I doubt anyone here would pay that much.

I know you are talking about the postage stamp lawns, which don't get $35 here either. On all other residentials except for the tiny postage stamp lawns, I don't see how one guy can do much better than 20 min at best. I am talking, unload time, mowing, trimming, edging, blowing and maybe talking to the customer or leaving a statement and reloading. I am sure we will hear from someone who does all that in 10 min, if so I would like to see it.

Turf Terror
07-08-2007, 11:27 PM
I currently do about 5 houses.... They take me 18 minutes to do and I get 30 per cut. Can do all 5 in less than 2 hours easily.

My watch must be broken...
...my 18 minute yards take me a half hour to do.
:laugh:

Here's how to make $1000 per day mowing lawns as a solo...
Click "Quick Reply"...
Type in: "I make $1000 per day mowing lawns as a solo..." :weightlifter:
Click: "Submit Reply"...

coonman
07-08-2007, 11:28 PM
coonman, I think you may have missed the fact that I do acreages. I don't really have any little in & out lawns. Of the smaller residential lawns I do have, they are all grouped together & I'm usually there for a few hours w/o moving the truck.

Yes I did miss that. I thought we were talking regular residential mowing, not acreages. I was talking about residential mowing like I do, smaller lots with gates. 1000 a day would be amazing solo for these.

KTO Enterprises
07-08-2007, 11:35 PM
I know you are talking about the postage stamp lawns, which don't get $35 here either. On all other residentials except for the tiny postage stamp lawns, I don't see how one guy can do much better than 20 min at best. I am talking, unload time, mowing, trimming, edging, blowing and maybe talking to the customer or leaving a statement and reloading. I am sure we will hear from someone who does all that in 10 min, if so I would like to see it.

Well like I said in an earlier post. People here pay that much. Its very dependent on location. Areas where median home prices are 75,000 on a 1/4 acre lot, good luck getting higher prices. But in locations like mine where raw land sells for over 60 grand per acre and a 1300 sq ft house with barely a 1 car garage sells for 195,000 on 1/8 of an acre, 30 per cut sounds like cheap to these people.

I can do 1/6 acre lawns in 18 minutes gate down to gate up. If you think Im lying come watch me. Its all about planned efficiency. Where gas can are located. extra spools of trimmer sting pre wound in the glovebox. Largest piece of equipment you can physically get onto a lawn. Things like this.

I can mow, trim edge and blow a 1/6 acre yard in 18 minutes.

Hedge trimming is billed at a 2 dollars per minute from the time I pull the hedger off the trailer to the time its back on the rack.

cpel2004
07-09-2007, 12:09 AM
In2mown you two guys are from the same place and seeing how you've been in business or in the industry for 12 years are you a solo guy? So lets dig into this some more, the numbers dont lie. In fact I wish I and 99.5%of the LCO's could produce the numbers you guys are producing with a one man show.
What type of equipment do you use?
What the breakdown of your business commercial or residential?
How many properties do you in a day and how much time is spent on each property.
Do you charge per hour or by the job
How much landscaping is done?
How much trimming is done?
What happens when you get rain out, how do you get caught up on your work loads?
Break it down for us lets really look into this, if you dont mind. Help us all to understand please!

cpel2004
07-09-2007, 12:21 AM
KTO as for you, you live in SC I live in South Florida where most acre properties ranges from 400k to 500k just for the land. The average 1500 sq ft home is 300k to 400k in a decent area. So the money is here. So I guess you guys never have customer interactions, where the homeowners come out to talk with you. KTO even if you can do a property in 18 minutes you still have to unload and reload, gas equipment up, take breaks etc drive time etc, oh i forgot what about bed management how long does that take for you?

In the areas I mentioned above for the acre lots the price ranges from 225 to 335 per month for the average properties that includes spraying and hedge trimming.

coonman
07-09-2007, 12:25 AM
Well like I said in an earlier post. People here pay that much. Its very dependent on location. Areas where median home prices are 75,000 on a 1/4 acre lot, good luck getting higher prices. But in locations like mine where raw land sells for over 60 grand per acre and a 1300 sq ft house with barely a 1 car garage sells for 195,000 on 1/8 of an acre, 30 per cut sounds like cheap to these people.

I can do 1/6 acre lawns in 18 minutes gate down to gate up. If you think Im lying come watch me. Its all about planned efficiency. Where gas can are located. extra spools of trimmer sting pre wound in the glovebox. Largest piece of equipment you can physically get onto a lawn. Things like this.

Hedge trimming is billed at a 2 dollars per minute from the time I pull the hedger off the trailer to the time its back on the rack.

That is what I was saying, around 20 min. That is probably best case scenario. I have many lawns around the same size, but can vary 5 -15 min on completion time due to type of grass/weeds and how many obstacles. My own yard is a prime example. It is small, but takes 30 min for me. I have 7 trees in the back with several bushes and a deck. A few trees and and bushes in the front. Lots of trimming and some edging as well. The gate measures 31 inches across. Only a 21 or 26 will fit in the back. That is typical of of most of my lawns. I do have one lawn that has not a single obstacle in the front or back. It takes me 20 min exactly with a 21, but thats an exception.

cpel2004
07-09-2007, 12:36 AM
Coonman I'm ashking them to give us a breakdown of their business. I have worked with some of the very best LCO's and I havent meet one perfect business yet. Every yard is different, and many times you give a bid and you have taken into account of all of the obstacles that you may or may not experience. You set your price accordingly but the yard still takes you longer. I hope they can clarify this cuz i need some serious educating. By the way I'm not trying to make this into a pissing contest but I would really like to know.

drmiller100
07-09-2007, 01:29 AM
i have a one person crew that grosses over 1000 a day.
she is 18, beeen doing it for almost two months now.
starts at 8:00 in the morning, hooks her pickup to the trailer, loads the ztr, gas can.
heads out to the planned community, and mows 50 lawns a day.
i charge 50 bucks a house a month, and the hoa pays us. In june we mowed every week. in July/august we will be mowing every other week.

i would much rather have one person with an 8,000 dollar ztr and 500 dollar trimmer who makes 10 an hour plus 10 percent of gross then two employees who stand around talking all day.

two person crews are a frigging joke. i bid flat rate. xx dollars per lawn, almost all lawns are 30 bucks that i can use the ztr on.
If i have to bid a specific property, i bid at 125 an hour, whether it is the ztr or a push mower.
I lose ALL of the jobs I have to push mow with, and give tehm to a competitor.

privatelawn
07-09-2007, 02:10 AM
Very hard to find a home for $195k or less around here...

dhardin53
07-09-2007, 05:47 AM
$400 to $700 a day, when I work. 12 residential and 6 commercials (all big property) the commercial averages 2 an 3 acres each.

I don't mow ever day on average 3 to 4 day a week is all. If its rainy Ill be busy 5 or 6 day with a average day starting at 10am and home in the pool by 4 pm. My equipment lits is huge and all payed for. But my main money makers are a 36" hydo walk behind, 60" Dixie chopper, a 60" Swisher behind.

I'm a one man show, I find it hold down the argument at work. lol I average 20 acres a week. I do gutters, pressure washing and hedges, fall leaves and spring clean up,light hauling, some tree trimming if it not to big, and small engine repair to fill in my time and income. My best day was $1200 but only had a few like that. I'm going on 6 years full time and 7 years before that part time.

Oh yes i forgot, I was a printer in my early days, and after supper I have at times printed 30.000 impressions in my in-home print shop.

IN2MOWN
07-09-2007, 07:51 AM
In2mown you two guys are from the same place and seeing how you've been in business or in the industry for 12 years are you a solo guy? So lets dig into this some more, the numbers dont lie. In fact I wish I and 99.5%of the LCO's could produce the numbers you guys are producing with a one man show.
What type of equipment do you use?
What the breakdown of your business commercial or residential?
How many properties do you in a day and how much time is spent on each property.
Do you charge per hour or by the job
How much landscaping is done?
How much trimming is done?
What happens when you get rain out, how do you get caught up on your work loads?
Break it down for us lets really look into this, if you dont mind. Help us all to understand please!

Im more then happy to answer your questions. Just remember I NEVER once said I make $20,000 a month so please dont expect me to be your scapegoat for this thread.

1) Walk-behinds. 48's - 60's and 36's for the backyards.

2)95% is resdential.

3)I average 15 a day and I would say about 30 minutes. But it all depends on the day.

4)Mowing is charged by the job as is mulching, landscaping and gutters. I charge hourly with bed maint. and fall cleanups at the rate of $60.00 per hour with a one hour minimum.

5)I dont do a lot of landscaping. I dont advertise for it so what little I do is for current customers and its done on weekends. I would say I bill out about $10,000 a year in landscaping. Very minimal.

6)Unless it's pouring Im working. Have I gotten behind? You bet. Have I had to work Saturdays and Sundays? You bet. 15 hour days? You bet. I get caught up the same way everyone else does. Working longer hours.

There are few reasons I am still solo after 7 years of being in business for myself.

A) I can still do the work myself.

B) Im cheap and enjoy not paying anyone to do work if I can.

C) I have a hard time trusting people to do things the way I want to.

Eventually I will have to but for now I'm content.

carcrz
07-09-2007, 08:40 AM
Thank you for asking! I have no problem at all answering any questions you may have.

What type of equipment do you use? Ferris IS3000, Ferris 36" WB, Walker 48" MTGHS. Stihl everything. Selling 2 48" Ferris w/b low hours since I use the 61" riders all the time.
What the breakdown of your business commercial or residential? about 40% Commercial
How many properties do you in a day and how much time is spent on each property. Tues & Wed I'm in two areas all day & lift the gate once. Thurs I'm in a lake community all day. Thurs eve & Fri I'm doing chemical apps (not every week). If I'm not mowing, I'm doing landscape maintenance for my contracted clients or I'm working on new contracts.
Do you charge per hour or by the job -- by the job, but I always bid it by how long it will take me in the Spring so in the summer when it's taking 1/2 the time I'm really doing good. Rarely am I too low, but the smaller lawns can sometimes be deceiving
How much landscaping is done? Only a few installs, mainly mulch or maintenance. I do quite a bit of weed control for HOA's.
How much trimming is done? Trimming lawns or landscaping - commercial lawns are straight shots & about 15% of the time. Resi lawns are only about 10%.
What happens when you get rain out, how do you get caught up on your work loads? Unless there is standing water or lightning, I'm still going. I take my time & try to do no damage

delphied
07-09-2007, 06:46 PM
Fifty lawns in a day solo. Uh huh

howardsells2000
07-09-2007, 07:13 PM
I have to admit that at first I found it hard to believe that a solo operator could make a $1000.00 a day. But the more I read and think about this, I'm starting to think it could be possible. I do mostly mowing and a small amount of bush trimming, clean ups and hauling. Last year I averaged about $1500 a week, this year I'm averaging about $2000 a week. $5000 a week would be amazing. I'm not sure I could do it, but it gives me something to ponder. Maybe some day. I love lawnsite it give me so many things to think about.

delphied
07-09-2007, 07:17 PM
That would be 20 lawns at 50 dollars each. Not likely for a solo.

Woody82986
07-09-2007, 07:41 PM
Every now and then I have a $750 day just mowing. It isn't often though.

mslawn
07-09-2007, 08:30 PM
The internet is an easy place to make up tall tales!!!If they actually did do this kind of bread, they would not be so eager to try to explain it. They would care less what the common lawnboy thought! At approx 36 weeks in a season 5 days a week that would be 180000.00 year solo, can't see it. Still they have nothing, once they get hurt it is over, no employees to keep the work going. Really, if you made 1000.00 a day, it would be wise to have a backup plan, when an accident or health problem occours! Right now, I have a pulled muscle in my back, very painful one, and my people will handle it without me.

fiveoboy01
07-09-2007, 08:40 PM
i have a one person crew that grosses over 1000 a day.
she is 18, beeen doing it for almost two months now.
starts at 8:00 in the morning, hooks her pickup to the trailer, loads the ztr, gas can.
heads out to the planned community, and mows 50 lawns a day.
i charge 50 bucks a house a month, and the hoa pays us. In june we mowed every week. in July/august we will be mowing every other week.

i would much rather have one person with an 8,000 dollar ztr and 500 dollar trimmer who makes 10 an hour plus 10 percent of gross then two employees who stand around talking all day.

two person crews are a frigging joke. i bid flat rate. xx dollars per lawn, almost all lawns are 30 bucks that i can use the ztr on.
If i have to bid a specific property, i bid at 125 an hour, whether it is the ztr or a push mower.
I lose ALL of the jobs I have to push mow with, and give tehm to a competitor.

Note bolded part, which is BS.

KTO Enterprises
07-09-2007, 08:42 PM
hey five-o boy, i can only figure a max of 30 lawns per day and thats if they are postage stamp with no drive times between houses.

fiveoboy01
07-09-2007, 08:45 PM
There's no way a solo is doing 50 in a day, unless they're working 12-14 hours.

IN2MOWN
07-09-2007, 08:47 PM
You guys are a riot.

They MUST be lying because its the internet.
They MUST be lying because you dont clear what they are in income.
They MUST be lying because you dont believe them.

LOL

IN2MOWN
07-09-2007, 08:49 PM
There's no way a solo is doing 50 in a day, unless they're working 12-14 hours.

So there IS or ISN'T a way they can do it...? The second part of that post completely contradicts the first.

fiveoboy01
07-09-2007, 08:54 PM
A 12-14 hour shift is not normal for the usual employee. Happens? Yeah.

"Just because it's on the 'net" is not the reason I'm doubting the claim.

50 lawns/day:

One lawn per 9.6 minutes in an 8-hour day.

One lawn per 12 minutes in a 10-hour day.

These numbers do not include ANY breaks, nor do they count time between properties. Even if it's only 30 seconds property to property, there's 12.5 minutes lost. Not to mention time to refuel handhelds(minimum 30 seconds, and that doesn't count walking back and forth to wherever the gas can is), and the mower which likely will not run the day on a tankfull. Then there's lunch breaks and bathroom breaks.

I'm using the NUMBERS to determine that it's highly unlikely.

carcrz
07-09-2007, 08:56 PM
Still they have nothing, once they get hurt it is over, no employees to keep the work going. Really, if you made 1000.00 a day, it would be wise to have a backup plan, when an accident or health problem occours! Right now, I have a pulled muscle in my back, very painful one, and my people will handle it without me.

I agree. It is always wise to have a back-up plan. I have a Bachelors degree from Mid America Nazarene University. I double majored in Business Administration & Marketing. I have been in or around management since I was a tike so I know what I'm doing inside & out. As far as being on here - call it continuing education. I only explain what I do because I don't want any ill feelings towards me or any disbelief in what I say. I work my tail off every day so that I can give my family what they want & at the end of the day still have something to show for it. As for a crew in case of injury - that's covered. You've gotta love family that have also been in the industry since they were kids. I guess if I were to get injured (knock on wood), they would help me out until I was able to carry on again.

grasswhacker
07-09-2007, 08:58 PM
According to bobbygedd, he could do it! lol

fiveoboy01
07-09-2007, 08:58 PM
So there IS or ISN'T a way they can do it...? The second part of that post completely contradicts the first.

Um, it's NOT completely contradictory, because there's an "unless" in the sentence. I'd assume that someone with your modicum of intelligence and a basic understanding of the English language would know this.

IN2MOWN
07-09-2007, 09:00 PM
A 12-14 hour shift is not normal for the usual employee. Happens? Yeah.

"Just because it's on the 'net" is not the reason I'm doubting the claim.

50 lawns/day:

One lawn per 9.6 minutes in an 8-hour day.

One lawn per 12 minutes in a 10-hour day.

These numbers do not include ANY breaks, nor do they count time between properties. Even if it's only 30 seconds property to property, there's 12.5 minutes lost. Not to mention time to refuel handhelds(minimum 30 seconds, and that doesn't count walking back and forth to wherever the gas can is), and the mower which likely will not run the day on a tankfull. Then there's lunch breaks and bathroom breaks.

I'm using the NUMBERS to determine that it's highly unlikely.

Unlikely? Sure.

Impossible? No.

You guys are making judgments without knowing ALL the facts.

He also doesnt say she does it everyday. If you read the post its a once a week deal at a community where everything is right next to each other. Almost NO drive time at all.

Sounds VERY possible to me.

KTO Enterprises
07-09-2007, 09:01 PM
I think its possible to make a grand a day solo, doing 50 yards a day, false. 50 yards at 30 per cut would be 1,500. Thats a stretch.

IN2MOWN
07-09-2007, 09:02 PM
Um, it's NOT completely contradictory, because there's an "unless" in the sentence. I'd assume that someone with your modicum of intelligence and a basic understanding of the English language would know this.

LOL. I agree with you. And the same person would not say there is NO WAY it can happen and then go on to give a scenario where its possible that it happen.

carcrz
07-09-2007, 09:07 PM
Anyone notice how many views this thread has had in 2 days? Are we going for a record?

1MajorTom
07-09-2007, 09:08 PM
It's easy to manipulate numbers on paper. A lot more difficult to actually PERFORM week in and week at this elevated level. Way too many factors involved. Although on paper it's easy to make everything seem cookie cutter.

delphied
07-09-2007, 09:40 PM
Is there still any swamp land to sell in Florida? We have a whole bunch of potential customers on this thread.

GreenT
07-09-2007, 09:54 PM
Gosh... I wish I could be like you guys.

All those properties! All that money!

And those production numbers...

Outstanding!!!

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

IN2MOWN
07-09-2007, 10:01 PM
Gosh... I wish I could be like you guys.

All those properties! All that money!

And those production numbers...

Outstanding!!!

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Years in business:

GreenT
07-09-2007, 10:15 PM
Ouch. you're so smart. Got me.

So IN2MOWN, how long have you been in business? 7 or 12 years?

IN2MOWN
07-09-2007, 10:20 PM
Ouch. you're so smart. Got me.

So IN2MOWN, how long have you been in business? 7 or 12 years?

7 in business and 12 in the field. Very patient and willing to learn from EVERYONE. In fact still learning.

fiveoboy01
07-09-2007, 10:21 PM
LOL. I agree with you. And the same person would not say there is NO WAY it can happen and then go on to give a scenario where its possible that it happen.

After re-reading the guy's post, given the scenario that that he gave, it's not possible.

He plainly stated that he charges 50/month per house.

If only 4 cut days that month, that's 12.50/cut multiplied by the 50 houses, equals 625.00. So by his own numbers, he's full of it.

IN2MOWN
07-09-2007, 10:24 PM
After re-reading the guy's post, given the scenario that that he gave, it's not possible.

He plainly stated that he charges 50/month per house.

If only 4 cut days that month, that's 12.50/cut multiplied by the 50 houses, equals 625.00. So by his own numbers, he's full of it.

Again you're assuming that all the girl does is the community for that day. Maybe she does more after that to bring the total up. It's a stretch but it's possible.

Im not saying he's not full of it and I'm not saying he's telling the truth. Just trying to figure out a reason he would make something up.

Spin all you want. I'm just going by what YOU posted.

Sandgropher
07-09-2007, 10:30 PM
$20,000 a month solo ? how can you survive on that ? you need to know the costs of running a business ;)

fiveoboy01
07-09-2007, 10:33 PM
Again you're assuming that all the girl does is the community for that day. Maybe she does more after that to bring the total up. It's a stretch but it's possible.

PUHLEASE. First, a solo employee mows 50 lawns in a(being generous) 12-hour period, and then goes on to gross an additional $375 for the day? Come on, we both know it's highly unlikely that 50 lawns are being cut in a day, much less anything else.

Im not saying he's not full of it and I'm not saying he's telling the truth. Just trying to figure out a reason he would make something up.

It's the internet, we both know that no one needs a "reason" to fabricate a fairy tale:)

GreenT
07-09-2007, 10:49 PM
7 in business and 12 in the field. Very patient and willing to learn from EVERYONE. In fact still learning.

Good for you.

See, I only have 0 years experience but can already tell when someone is spewing BS. Relax, I'm not talking about you.

:waving:

fiveoboy01 is right, it is the internet. Kind of like 0 years experience, you know?

cantoo
07-09-2007, 11:01 PM
I wanna see pics of this chick that can cut 50 in a day.
My wife does all the cutting and I need something for her to shoot for. She sure don't do no 50 a day. She has $750 days once in awhile but it ain't very often and it sure don't include string trimming that day. It's some small, quick lawns and a couple of big fast ones with no obstacles. And it's an early start and a late finish. If she could do 50 in a day I would become a mormon and get a couple more wives and quit my job.

privatelawn
07-09-2007, 11:10 PM
I would not say 50 is impossible being that hes talking about the entire hoa, maybe hard but not sure if impossible.

50 homes in my sub would take up about 6.5 acres, there is 0 trees in the backyards of any of the houses here, when you look at my backyard its pretty much together with everyone.

6.5 acres say 4 hours of mowing
about 2.5 minutes of edging if he needs to edge in his state. about 2 hours
3 hours for timming, 3 hours for blowing

so about 10 hours of work plus breaks etc, 50 houses is a stretch, 40 houses id probably be able to do in 10 hours

cantoo
07-09-2007, 11:14 PM
privatelawn, and what's the price for that size lawn? Keep in mind that the 50 in 10 hours is 12 minutes per lawn with no downtime.

TNT LawnCare Inc.
07-09-2007, 11:26 PM
Just like the guy who posted him and a partner cut 127 lawns in a day,gimmie a break.

privatelawn
07-09-2007, 11:27 PM
My price is $24 per cut
but I dont do entire hoas
privatelawn, and what's the price for that size lawn? Keep in mind that the 50 in 10 hours is 12 minutes per lawn with no downtime.

privatelawn
07-09-2007, 11:41 PM
I live in this big circle, 48 houses, all the backyards is an open field, about 2 acres of open space you can pretty much mow all together so youd probably mow all 48 backyards in about an hour, the fronts may be a bit more difficult but we dont know how his fronts are. Im not saying that he could mow 50 in a day but saying that 1 can be pretty close. my sub consist of all identical homes at 42x109 lot size

carcrz
07-09-2007, 11:45 PM
Even I was second guessing the 50, but after really thinking about it & assuming there is little trimming - it's definitely possible.

cpel2004
07-09-2007, 11:58 PM
In2mown I agree with you, I'm willing to learn from anyone, thanks.

Rob.C
07-10-2007, 01:05 AM
Note bolded part, which is BS.
I agree, I have fertilized 50 yards in one day and they where all connected, but mow no way:hammerhead:

Rob.C
07-10-2007, 01:14 AM
$1,000 dollar days mowing thats not to difficult. I have a lot of $2,000-$2,500 dollar days but thats cutting and fertilizing, if u want huge totals aeration/seeds I have had up to $10,000-$12,000 dollar days.

Sandgropher
07-10-2007, 01:31 AM
Just like the guy who posted him and a partner cut 127 lawns in a day,gimmie a break.

Yeah thats BS in IMO, the most me and a helper cut in one day was 120. ;)

Stillwater
07-10-2007, 01:51 AM
nothing to teach, he has high end customers. or he is in southern Ma. with me where the cutting costs are hugely inflated.

Stillwater
07-10-2007, 01:53 AM
Yeah thats BS in IMO, the most me and a helper cut in one day was 120. ;)

is that 120 lawns or 120 dollars?

David Gretzmier
07-10-2007, 04:05 AM
It is just not possible in my area. I have run crews, and done solo, and I know what the market prices are. To make over $100 per hour, every hour, every day, is impossible. If you charge for chemical service, and do it in the same trip as mowing, maybe, but you can't do that every week. If you charge for bed service and don't provide it that week, maybe, but you can't do that every week.

The maximum market price a straight LCO ( mowing only) can make around here is 75-85 per hour, on an average day. you can not consistantly mow 12 hour days 5 days a week with weather, especially the past 2 months with rain nearly every day. so around here the maximum for one guy on an every day average 8 hour basis would have to be in the 500-600 range, with some days better and some days worse. I cannot imagine it being double that. anywhere.

Sandgropher
07-10-2007, 04:06 AM
120 1 acre lawns, started at 9.00am finished at 2.30 pm and had a 3 hour lunch break in between ;)

Stillwater
07-10-2007, 04:20 AM
in order to make a grand SOLO mowing in a 12hr day you need to have 12 accounts costing 83.00 each per cut and be capeable of doing it.

IN2MOWN
07-10-2007, 07:20 AM
Im still laughing at this thread. I'll ask again. Someone show me where he stated he makes 20,000 a month on just mowing.

cpel2004
07-10-2007, 08:08 AM
Correct if I'm wrong the original thread asked how much could a solo LCO expect to make by cutting grass. Based upon that thread he answered a 1k a day. ie 1k x's 5 days a week multi. by avg of 4week in a month equals 20k

Sandgropher
07-10-2007, 08:13 AM
If thats the case i would work 6 days a week and have a bit more pocket money. :)

Mark in MD
07-10-2007, 08:29 AM
He means gross, not net.

I bet he's doing installs as well, and including the revenue from the principle installations and excluding the costs.

He's probably including bed maintenance too -- like shredded hardwood installed, etc.

How about brush hauling, and not including the dump expenses?

I say he's full of ****.

carcrz
07-10-2007, 10:29 AM
Correct if I'm wrong the original thread asked how much could a solo LCO expect to make by cutting grass. Based upon that thread he answered a 1k a day. ie 1k x's 5 days a week multi. by avg of 4week in a month equals 20k

Whoa Whoa Whoa. I never said I made that every day. Just on Tuesday through Thursday. I do my landscape maintenance on Mondays & Fridays, or if I get done w/ my other work early I start then. I don't have the extras every week though. My chemical apps are every 6 weeks or so & the maintenance is about once a month. I also do bi-weekly weed control on most of my landscapes which takes all of about 10 minutes per location & do that when I'm out mowing.

howardsells2000
07-10-2007, 06:10 PM
Everyone thinks this guy is full of it. He may be, but it seems like everyone is trying to prove it can't be done instead of trying to figure out how to do it. I want to figure out how it can be done. We should think outside of our box. I have one town house neighborhood where I cut 19 lawns at one stop. I can cut them on a good day solo in about 3 hours. So if I could get 30 more at this same stop I could make a $1,000.00 in a day. If I could do this 5 days a week, there's my $20,000.00. I know its not likely but it is possible.

dhardin53
07-11-2007, 03:42 AM
The short answer to the big question is No. 1 or 2 good high productive days a week is all one can hope for. To make your schedule so tight to do this amount of work in one day every day is not possible (one maned). All mother nature will stop you every time.

bahamamills
07-11-2007, 07:55 AM
Carcrz,

I would not continue to defend yourself as you have nothing to do with this. I still don't understand why cpel2004 keeps on and on and on with this.

My son who just graduated HS and is getting ready for college works for two solo guys during the summer on different days. They work top end accounts and can finish 17 properties before 3-4 pm. With what he/they pay my son they do get over 1k on those days my son helps them.

Now just to be clear because with what I have seen in this thread my son is not an illegal alien making 60k per year and sending it back over the border tax free. The LCO is not making a quarter million just pointing out it can be done :))

cpel2004
07-13-2007, 06:22 AM
bahamamills and in2mown just to point out to you on another thread somebody asked how much should you expect from a 3 man crew per week. Carcrz answered he makes a 1k a day solo. Which based upon how the original questioned was posted lead me to believe and all others to believe he was making 1k a day. Now Carcrz hasn't come out and clarified he doesn't make a 1k a day everyday solo. But I guess he doesn't have to cuz he has you two cheerleaders getting your skirts tied up into a frenzy. His response should have include his weekly gross amount not a specific daily high for the week.

As for you in2mown you act like your Carcrz's accountant, which you aren't. So please spare me. Carcrz is a man he can speak for himself. And for you bahamamills you should read the entire thread before commenting, so get your pom poms and have a seat and read the entire thread.

But as a fellow LCO I'll help you out. Your sons employers has how many helpers? So he's not alone right? Well that is what this entire thread is about. One guy making 1k with out help. Of course many LCO make that much and more in one day including myself but guess what I have to pay the guys that helped me.

carcrz
07-13-2007, 08:00 AM
Sounds like you need to go back & read ALL of the posts too! Maybe grow up a little on your way through them.

cpel2004
07-13-2007, 09:08 AM
Why cuz your are a liar and I'm calling you out. This form is intended to provide knowledge and true stories not trying to make up BS about how much you make. Which you are completely full of it.

carcrz
07-13-2007, 10:56 AM
You might go back & look at the other thread. Notice that 23 people also stated the same income? I just opened my mouth at the wrong time apparently & caught you on a bad day because you obviously have something to prove & chose me as your target. Whatever it is, I hope you are satisfied because this is getting a bit old.

cpel2004
07-13-2007, 11:30 AM
Listen I wish you and your family the best, I hope that you make a ton of cash in fact I hope everyone can make a ton of the green stuff. As you can see by some of the questions thats been posted we have many new impressionable members and I want them to know you have to work to make money at this business its not all about sitting in your big HD truck and having guys go out and do the work for you. you must apply yourself to the trade in order earn the serious money.

carcrz
07-13-2007, 11:39 AM
I agree wholeheartedly. I've worked very hard to get where I am today as I'm sure you have too.

IN2MOWN
07-13-2007, 02:06 PM
bahamamills and in2mown just to point out to you on another thread somebody asked how much should you expect from a 3 man crew per week. Carcrz answered he makes a 1k a day solo. Which based upon how the original questioned was posted lead me to believe and all others to believe he was making 1k a day. Now Carcrz hasn't come out and clarified he doesn't make a 1k a day everyday solo. But I guess he doesn't have to cuz he has you two cheerleaders getting your skirts tied up into a frenzy. His response should have include his weekly gross amount not a specific daily high for the week.

As for you in2mown you act like your Carcrz's accountant, which you aren't. So please spare me. Carcrz is a man he can speak for himself. And for you bahamamills you should read the entire thread before commenting, so get your pom poms and have a seat and read the entire thread.

But as a fellow LCO I'll help you out. Your sons employers has how many helpers? So he's not alone right? Well that is what this entire thread is about. One guy making 1k with out help. Of course many LCO make that much and more in one day including myself but guess what I have to pay the guys that helped me.

So now people who agree with each other aren't allowed to post in the same thread?

Here's a suggestion. If you dont like what is being posted then dont respond to it.

He was speaking for himself. The FACT is you ASSumed a ton of stuff and called him out on it AFTER you said you took what he said at face value. Now if YOU cant handle being called out, then dont do it to other people.

fiveoboy01
07-13-2007, 07:08 PM
Why cuz your are a liar and I'm calling you out. This form is intended to provide knowledge and true stories not trying to make up BS about how much you make. Which you are completely full of it.

Which was your whole purpose from the first post of this thread.

You wanted to cause trouble and stir up poop, and that's it... :nono:

More commonly known as trolling. But you knew that.

1MajorTom
07-13-2007, 07:52 PM
I'd say it's time to put an end to this one.