PDA

View Full Version : 23hp Kawasaki smells like rotten eggs!

CK82
07-08-2007, 10:48 PM
I worked my 23hp Kawasaki really hard this past week, aerating a large scale apartment complex and know I'm smelling a strong smell of rotten eggs or something out of the ordinary. I've also noticed my eyes burning a more than usual. Anyone think I did some damage to my engine or maybe know what is going on here?

Eric D
07-09-2007, 06:20 AM
Anyone think I did some damage to my engine or maybe know what is going on here?

CK82,

No, I don't think you damaged your engine. What I do believe is you manage to purchase some bad gas. Purchase gas from somewhere different and see if your problem clears up. It might take a few tank fulls to flush the bad gas out. I believe you will find the problem will go away.

Best of luck,

Eric D:drinkup:

MowerMedic77
07-09-2007, 07:47 PM
Check your charging system and make sure your not overcharging the battery.

fixer67
07-10-2007, 01:09 AM
Check your charging system and make sure your not overcharging the battery.

Hydrogen sulfide gas from a battery being overcharged or a bad battery.
Hydrogen sulfide is highly flammable. Below is a link that tells more. Check your battery charging system.

http://mattson.creighton.edu/H2S/H2S_Info.html

Car batteries contain Sulfuric Acid (H2SO4). Charging the battery may produce Hydrogen gas as a by product. The biggest hazard associated with the battery charging would be off gassing of Hydrogen. If there were an internal problem with the battery, a buildup of Hydrogen Sulfide (H2S)
gas is also a possibility.

CK82
07-10-2007, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the information. The only thing is, is that it hasnt been smelling like this until after I worked the engine really hard while using my front mount aerator attachment. I will look into everything recommened.