PDA

View Full Version : Is this 21" even made?

curry
07-09-2007, 12:05 AM
Im looking at getting a new 21". This will be for my yard and one customers so I dont need a commercial grade. Help me out. Im looking for one that has the front swivel casters with a Honda engine and self-propelled. Ive found several with the casters but not with all three things I want. The casters are for my wife. She likes to mow our yard for exercise. Does anyone even make this mower with all three options?

Matts lawn care
07-09-2007, 12:18 AM
Is this it?
http://www.cubcadet.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_14101_89413_33831_-1

bigbear
07-09-2007, 12:30 AM
be warned the cub cadets are junk jus my .02

IHusky
07-09-2007, 01:37 AM
I have the Cub Cadet 21 with front casters and Kaw engine. Let me say, that the Kaw engine is a beast, I never had a Honda engine, but I would be willing to say that the Kaw engine is stronger. It will cut thru some pretty thick stuff with the side discharge. It mulches and cuts fairly well. If you are only going to do 2 yards with it, should last a long time. But, be warned that the cub 21 is not a commercial unit. You will pay about $550 for this unit. The parts are expensive and you can't get them at wally world or the local Home Depot or Lowes. Seems like Cub put a really nice engine on a slightly above average mower. I have used this mower commercially (I'm part time and use my 36" walk for most of my residental accounts) for about 4 years (would estimate it has about 200 hours on the it) and have gone thru 2 recoil starters and had the mower in for the selfed propelled mechanism. If I was to do it over again, would have went with a commercial Toro 21 with Kaw engine for about $600 more, but I already have $550 in the cub, going to run it until it dies. :laugh: Good luck.

cgaengineer
07-09-2007, 08:01 AM
Briggs and Stratton makes the swivel wheeled Snapper, JohnDeere and the cub cadet as far as I can remember and they really are cheaply made.

The swivel casters on that unit are really poorly manufactured (Sloppy fitting)...the differential is made of plastic.

Take a look at the Snapper Hi-VAC walk behind with the pulley drive...a really solid unit and you can get multching kit and bagger for it. For a homeowner this mower will last many years (Our first one lasted 20).

http://www.snapper.com/easy_speed.html

MarcSmith
07-09-2007, 08:48 AM
I have one of these....only it was branded Scotts and sold at HD. I picked it as one of the "returns" for just under 200 bucks...
It is a work horse. I thought I'd like the swivels but they are a pita. it makes it harder to mow a straight line if the ground is even remotely sloped. but the casters will lock in place.

saw man
07-09-2007, 12:14 PM
I have a brand new one! Honda HRZ216TDA

coonman
07-09-2007, 01:15 PM
If I were you, I would put the extra cash down for the Toro proline with the Honda engine. If you are going to just do a couple of lawns. It will be the last mower you will ever need. There is no comparison, it will be cheaper for you over the long term and you will have a top notch 21.

KTO Enterprises
07-09-2007, 02:07 PM
Briggs and Stratton makes the swivel wheeled Snapper, JohnDeere and the cub cadet as far as I can remember and they really are cheaply made.

The swivel casters on that unit are really poorly manufactured (Sloppy fitting)...the differential is made of plastic.

Take a look at the Snapper Hi-VAC walk behind with the pulley drive...a really solid unit and you can get multching kit and bagger for it. For a homeowner this mower will last many years (Our first one lasted 20).

http://www.snapper.com/easy_speed.html

I just purchased this mower and It seems very well built. You can buy the swivel caster wheels to outfit it with from snapper.

tinkerlawn
07-09-2007, 02:23 PM
I agree with marc I would stay away from the casters they are just a pita, theres a reason that in one year you saw 9 different models with casters and now you only see maybe 2 or 3

MarcSmith
07-09-2007, 02:54 PM
I just got deliverd 2 hrc216pda today....woo hoo. I can get rid of the 2stroke lawnboys from 10 years ago...

curry
07-09-2007, 03:27 PM
Thanks everyone. I will steer away from the casters.

bohiaa
07-09-2007, 03:53 PM
I cant seem to fond a 21" that dont leave stringers....

have tried many diffrent models, Went back to my ole Craftsman.

KTO Enterprises
07-09-2007, 04:18 PM
I have the hi vac 21" snapper easy speed. cuts good turf grass very well. Bahia, not so much. Probably has something to do with the fact that there is a lip on the underside of the deck for vacuuming.