PDA

View Full Version : Need some qoute help from the PRO's

mowNblow
07-09-2007, 12:59 AM
Hi Lawnsite.com, ive lurked for a WHILE and so finally i registered, i need some soundly advice from the pro's on this bid. its 2 large parking lots with 2 overgrown strips about 6-8 feet wide and about 100-150 ft long. In the front of the account there are 2 very steep hills bordered in and filled with monkey grass, also on the right lot is a very overgrown area the will be a pain, as will the inclines, so here is my equipment and what i am guesstimating:
1- Toro proline 36 inch walkbehind belt drive
1- Honda harmony 21 inch
1- STIHL BR-420 magnum
1- ECHO PAS-260 edger/trimmer attachment
im guesstimating 200-250ish for the initial first clean up becuase of the steep inclines, size of property and amount overgrown and 125ish for Bi-weekly maintenance i will include some pics and u tell me what u would do. also offer me some advice on the monkey grass incline. i will probably mow it back with the 21 inch on its highest setting, but they say they might want to do something else in the future with that area, Thanks Guys for the help

mowNblow
07-09-2007, 01:05 AM
more pics up close of the inclines

fiveoboy01
07-09-2007, 01:52 AM
I'd say your prices are about right but watch out it looks like there is some brush growing there in the front too.

Did you measure out the actual turf area? Just curious what it came to.

I'd add a haul/dump fee on top of the 250 for the first cut unless you're already figuring that in your price. You'll have to rake up a lot of crap when you're done.

Grits
07-09-2007, 02:04 AM
Might want to bid it higher, at least for the initial clean-up. You will hate those slopes more and more each time you service the account. So you might want to go a little higher on the bi-weekly bid too. Are you doing parking lot sweep too? If so, definitely charge more.
It appears to be one of "those" accounts that no other lco wants to touch. Charge accordingly.

fiveoboy01
07-09-2007, 02:07 AM
You know, after looking at the pics more, especially the 5th one and the huge mess that curb has become, I think you're low on the inital cut and clean-up for sure.

KTO Enterprises
07-09-2007, 02:20 AM
Going to be there a while with a stick edger, shovel and wheelbarrow to get those curbs into shape. My bid would be considerably higher. at least 30 to 40% higher. But maybe im just koo koo.

mowNblow
07-09-2007, 03:48 AM
how would u tackle the monkey grass inclines mow w/ 21 inch on the highest setting? also how would u go about killing the bamboo like stuff starting to grow large in pic 5? i should mention to, that the person who ask me for the qoute is a bi-weekly customer of mine at their home so i want to be fair/ still make some $ also, i will have a helper to pay as well. thanks guys for any input u can give me, this site rocks

topsites
07-09-2007, 04:16 AM
This is a good example of the kind of thing I charge extra for, thou it's not a crap lot because at least it does consist of mostly grass (it ain't funny, wait until you get the dirt lots), but it's still neglected and needs a lot of work and attention to make it look halfway decent.

To edge it or string trim it, then to get rid of those curbed weeds and make it look right, I can't see the whole picture but let me warn you curbs are a PITA! Even more so when your only access to the grass areas is via the curbs :laugh:

That's a big area, look at how small the guy looks in the 2nd-to-last picture, that put it in perspective for me.

At least 3-400 the first cut, maybe more because of what I can't see is around back, but like 200+ for the cut and another 1-200 for cleaning up (raking, that is) and hauling away the resulting piles of clippings (and I mean piles). I'd want to tarp the clippings so I can dump them in the trailer, likely at least 1/4 trailer load.
The loading and hauling wouldn't be so bad, except that's heavy stuff.

I ain't getting into weed control because I'm not sure it's going that far anyhow, not bidding on no contract either.
But to make it look right, I'm not talking class-A turf overnight but just real clean, yeah, 3-400 for the first time (and maybe more if there's a surprise) would be my bid.

martinfan06
07-09-2007, 08:53 AM
Great post this is how to ask for bid help and glad you did. Intal clean-up 400 then i might say 250 for bi weekly depends on how much you want it. Has potential to be a decesnt account looks to be a good spot. Good luck
thats 250 a month on the bi weekly so I agree on 125 a cut.

TNT LawnCare Inc.
07-09-2007, 01:15 PM
I also think tis has great potential for you,could be a nice account. I think $400-$500 for the 1st clean-up is fare.Hard to tell honestly without walking it. $125-150 for bi-weekly service. I cant see why any LCO would turn this down. Also make sure theres no bottles and such in that thick stuff before you mow.GOOD LUCK.

bohiaa
07-09-2007, 03:03 PM
Might want to bid it higher, at least for the initial clean-up. You will hate those slopes more and more each time you service the account. So you might want to go a little higher on the bi-weekly bid too. Are you doing parking lot sweep too? If so, definitely charge more.
It appears to be one of "those" accounts that no other lco wants to touch. Charge accordingly.

What he said......

hills are a PITA

mowNblow
07-10-2007, 12:15 AM
well she just called me back i got the bid for 300$ which is a little low, but i added 25$ to the bi-weekly mowing so it kinda will balance out in the long run hopefully, and i made a great contact and am getting my name out there. i do her home lawn bi weekly as well, and she has friends she told me she will send my way too, so i didnt get as much $$$ as i probably could have

TNT LawnCare Inc.
07-10-2007, 12:30 AM
So you got $150 for the bi-weekly mow ?

mowNblow
07-10-2007, 12:49 AM
bi weekly 150 mow blow weedeat edge and keep her beds in check, i can hit her up for mulch in the beds eventually once i get the account in shape had to agree to keep the shrubs in the very front of the steps and on the sides of the building nice and shaped to get $150 but i dont think it will take very long and i will really only have to prune em once a month or so, they dont grow super fast. im starting first thing in the morning im stoked!!!!

mowNblow
07-10-2007, 11:07 PM
well it took me 6.5 hrs i started @ 9 am i had 1 helper i was .5 hrs over my bid so not to bad i was averaging just a bit over $45 per hr. i will post pics tommorrow after i go take them

TNT LawnCare Inc.
07-10-2007, 11:10 PM
Thats great:clapping: Cant wait to see the pics . That should be a nice Account:waving:

fiveoboy01
07-11-2007, 02:07 AM
Yeah, I'd like to see some after pictures too.

One question. Was that 6.5 hours for the two of you? Cause that would be 13 man hours which is only 23 bucks/hour.

bahamamills
07-11-2007, 09:12 AM
Hey you did not get rich but got your account and experience from it. Keep them happy and once you have it knocked down and manageable start suggesting something other that grass and weeds on those banks:) Charge for the mulching and planting and at the same time you reduce your PITA mowing and weed eating...

americanlawn
07-12-2007, 07:51 PM
On a very difficult property like this, we try to charge by the hour. Up to $6.00 per 1000 square feet, but this job looks even tougher.