PDA

View Full Version : Are my prices too high?

BLKSS
07-09-2007, 12:04 AM
Ive been in the business for about 3 months, i charge no less than $35 and up. you know for corner lots, overgrown grass, etc. Well i have about 5 weekly/bi weekly accounts, i pass out flyers , not like i want too though. I pick and chose the houses. The area's i target dont seem to call. anyway do yall think im charging too much. What yalls average rate?
thanks
BLKSS

Desoto_Lawn_Care
07-09-2007, 12:15 AM
No, you are not charging too much. That's exactly what reliable, quality service is worth. The problem is the competition. You may not be getting too many calls because some people are doing it for 15-20 less per week. I only do my neighbors, close friends and family at the lower 20 per week rate, but even that is about to change.

BLKSS
07-09-2007, 12:23 AM
yea thats true, my second problem is i did an excellent job for this one customer and she told me "i will talk to my husband and see how often we need you" well 3 weeks passed by and no call! i dont get it. has that crap ever happened to you? I mean i dont have the best equipment right now "crapsman" but i do a pretty damn good job with it.

Desoto_Lawn_Care
07-09-2007, 12:50 AM
Ya, I've gotten several calls just like that. After I mowed one guys yard, he called me back a month later to do it again when his yard became seriously overgrown. Because he never answered my voicemails and was late with his payment, I drove down to his house and told his wife I am here to collect and that I do not mow lawns "on-call"

To make a long story short, his wife was a much better person than he was and paid me for both cuts on the spot. I am expecting to get another call from him a month from now when his yard gets out of control, but I will gladly refuse.

JJG84
07-09-2007, 12:52 AM
you cant pick and choose what houses you want.

especially with flyers.

if you want some good accounts you need to hand out 30k flyers.

if you get 60 replies - thats 2% return.

LilOTexas
07-09-2007, 12:58 AM
In DFW a lot of guys are charging around $20 a week ,but charging extra for everything else. I had a flyer on my door stating they will cut any yard for $15. You have to know what the prices in the areas you target. I charge 25, 30, 35 ,40. Everyone seems happy except me..

Grits
07-09-2007, 01:09 AM
My minimum was $30. Most my accounts are $40-$45. I recently raised my minimum to $35 and I am planning to raise my minimum to $45 in the not-so-distant future. Mainly because doing the little $30 or $35 yards hardly seem worth it anymore. I know I do a great job and I will charge accordingly. If people want a premium, top quality service then they have to be willing to pay for it, if they do not want that kind of service, then they can find someone else.

carcrz
07-09-2007, 08:51 AM
It really depends on the area. My min is 35, but most of my smaller residentials are $50 or more & I don't have any $35 lawns any more. My commercials are $150 or more. If I don't get a contract for weekly services, their price doubles for "On-call" work.

hess
07-09-2007, 04:54 PM
In my small town they have about the same size lots i start at $23.00 on up

HOOLIE
07-09-2007, 07:01 PM
I see tooooo many new guys on here acting like they own some 15 year old established business....with 'firm' minimums, targeting only certain hoods, and all sorts of stuff that an LCO with a full schedule can get away with. You got to get out there and advertise. A LOT of advertising. Fill your week with at least semi-decent customers then you can start weeding the bad ones out. How effective is a $35 minimum when you only have like a half-day of work???

It is very hard to sell quality to new clients...sure if they were spending $75,000 for an addition to their house they would be concerned about quality and reputation, or even $10,000 for some new landscaping. But for a $35 grass cut? You can price yourself right out of business if you think for a minute you are 'The Best' and can command high prices when you don't barely have any work.

privatelawn
07-09-2007, 07:26 PM
Your math isnt great or you forgot to add a 0, 2% of 30k is 600

you cant pick and choose what houses you want.

especially with flyers.

if you want some good accounts you need to hand out 30k flyers.

if you get 60 replies - thats 2% return.

BLKSS
07-10-2007, 12:41 AM
I understand what your saying HOOLIE but when you bust your ass on a lawn to make it look the best and dont leave until every single blade of grass is equal length and only charge what $25 for a cut? come on.

Grits
07-10-2007, 12:51 AM
I see tooooo many new guys on here acting like they own some 15 year old established business....with 'firm' minimums, targeting only certain hoods, and all sorts of stuff that an LCO with a full schedule can get away with. You got to get out there and advertise. A LOT of advertising. Fill your week with at least semi-decent customers then you can start weeding the bad ones out. How effective is a $35 minimum when you only have like a half-day of work???

It is very hard to sell quality to new clients...sure if they were spending $75,000 for an addition to their house they would be concerned about quality and reputation, or even $10,000 for some new landscaping. But for a $35 grass cut? You can price yourself right out of business if you think for a minute you are 'The Best' and can command high prices when you don't barely have any work.

I agree. Do what you have to do to get out and working. Then when your schedule is full, you can up your minimum and weed out the less profitable accounts. This is exactly what I am starting to do. If you are good, word travels fast (I guess it travels faster if you bad) and you will have a full schedule rather quickly. At least, this is the case in my area.

But, a half day of work with a $35 minimum, is better than a half day of work with a $25 or $30 minimum.

mauler01
07-10-2007, 11:13 AM
i mostly do commercial but i have been trying to expand some residential so i can hire some guys and work less. in my area no one want to pay 35, too many guys are willing to work for nothing, so i have lowered my standard to 25 recently, last job i did the guys said how great a job i did and said he wanted to pay 35. so hey, if your good at what you do youll get higher prices.

ozark
07-10-2007, 02:55 PM
I disagree with you Hoolie. This is my first year in my own business. I have worked for four years in the industry prior. If i don't want to do a lawn because its a dust bowl you dam right I'm going to price it high. I don't feel obligated to do each and every yard because I'm new to the industry. Some guys have to do this when starting out to pay the bills. Everyones situation is different. Everyone has the right to pick which yards they want, If they can afford not to do certain ones thats great. I don't think you need to be in the business any set number of years to start becoming selective. I would rather only have half a schedule of yards at 35-40 dollars than a full schedule of crappy yards with non paying clients at 20-25 any day. I dont like mowing when i now i under bid the yard. It makes for a long season.

hess
07-10-2007, 04:36 PM
I disagree with you Hoolie. This is my first year in my own business. I have worked for four years in the industry prior. If i don't want to do a lawn because its a dust bowl you dam right I'm going to price it high. I don't feel obligated to do each and every yard because I'm new to the industry. Some guys have to do this when starting out to pay the bills. Everyones situation is different. Everyone has the right to pick which yards they want, If they can afford not to do certain ones thats great. I don't think you need to be in the business any set number of years to start becoming selective. I would rather only have half a schedule of yards at 35-40 dollars than a full schedule of crappy yards with non paying clients at 20-25 any day. I dont like mowing when i now i under bid the yard. It makes for a long season.I think this was well said, stright to the point!!

HOOLIE
07-10-2007, 08:05 PM
I disagree with you Hoolie. This is my first year in my own business. I have worked for four years in the industry prior. If i don't want to do a lawn because its a dust bowl you dam right I'm going to price it high. I don't feel obligated to do each and every yard because I'm new to the industry. Some guys have to do this when starting out to pay the bills. Everyones situation is different. Everyone has the right to pick which yards they want, If they can afford not to do certain ones thats great. I don't think you need to be in the business any set number of years to start becoming selective. I would rather only have half a schedule of yards at 35-40 dollars than a full schedule of crappy yards with non paying clients at 20-25 any day. I dont like mowing when i now i under bid the yard. It makes for a long season.

Anyone can take as long as they want to grow. Certainly if you want you can turn customers down for whatever reason, but it'll take you even longer to really get up and running. But 3 or 4 seasons from now, do you still want to be sitting on only 2 days worth of work? Or are you trying to establish a business?

When you start any kind of business you need some way to attract customers, and yes, not all of them will be with you for long, but that doesn't mean you won't get paid or they will necessarily be bad customers.

Supply and demand...