PDA

View Full Version : Gravely Spindle Replacement

slipping wrench
07-09-2007, 12:49 PM
Hello all, I am in need of help of the proceedure for replacing spindles on my Gravely ZT 2050 mower Mower is a zeroturn 50 inch deck.The spindles are of the sealed type with no grease fitting...The problem I have is the correct proceedure for replacing the pulleys on the new spindles without damaging them.I finally had to cut the old pulleys off as no amount of force with liquid wrench would even slightly move the pulleys. They were rusted in place.I would like for someone to explain replacing and installing the pulley and square locking key...I would like to be able to get the pulleys off in the future without the serious surgery I had to perform to remove them.......Thanks in advance for any help with this....Slipping wrench....

Restrorob
07-09-2007, 01:07 PM
Always install pulleys/shafts/bearings etc. with some type anti-seize compound. It will aid in removal down the road.

As for removing these pulley's, We are no longer a dealer of this junk. They changed spindle assembly designs four times that I know of and may have changed a few more times so can't help in that department.

slipping wrench
07-09-2007, 01:58 PM
Thanks Restorobob,One more quick question.Using the anti seize lubricant,shoudnt I be able to tap the new pulleys on the new spindle shaft without too much resistance?? Any help will be appreciated....Thanks again....slipping wrench

Restrorob
07-09-2007, 07:59 PM
Clean the inside of the pulleys with Emory paper and use the Emory paper on the new shaft if needed, You want to be able to LIGHTLY tap the pulley on. I prefer being able to slide them on by hand with a little resistance, Then I know they will be easier to remove down the road.

slipping wrench
07-09-2007, 08:07 PM
Hello Restororob....Thank you very much for the reply.....The last thing I want to do is destroy a new pulley and spindle trying to force it on.....Thanks again......Slipping wrench.....