PDA

View Full Version : 36 belt scag........help

kyfireman2004
07-09-2007, 02:05 PM
Guys I really don't know where to start. I just bought a used scag 36 belt about 4 yrs old. The problem is that it is hard to squeeze the handles to slow down and turn. Can something be adjusted. ( I am a big guy 6'4 250 ) It the machine not me....lol
Also the transmission in second gear tends to jump & grab. can this be rebuilt?
Thanks everyone
Lou

kyfireman2004
07-09-2007, 04:21 PM
Ps to turn the machine you have to squeeze the handles all the way down......thanks

Sydenstricker Landscaping
07-09-2007, 04:51 PM
I just leafed through my Scag manual for adjustments, couldnt find any. But as far as the trans is concerned, I may be of some help or not. The trans is a peerless made by tecumseh. Im not sure if you use a sulky/velke behind that machine, but it cant really pull someone around too long that is your size. I am only 150lbs so its no biggie for mine. They are like ~300-400 new from the dealer. I beleive the wheels have bands that squeeze a drum, kinda like a drum brake, and it could be that the bands are worn out and in need of replacement. On the handles, there may be a threaded area on the rods attached to it. If so, there should be either two bolts and a spacer or a adjusting bolt there. If it does, turn them and try the machine after doing so. It should be able to be adjusted, but I have never really looked or done that. Hope any of this helps!!

Restrorob
07-09-2007, 07:26 PM
You can repair or replace the trans. completely, Locate your model trans as shown in the diagram below and contact this place. A new trans. is in the $200 range.

http://j-thomas.com/Catalog/181.htm

kyfireman2004
07-10-2007, 01:06 PM
bump ..............

Restrorob
07-10-2007, 10:54 PM
bump ..............

OOOK.....Go here with your model and serial numbers in hand; http://www.scag.com/manuals.html then down-load the operator's manual that should have these minor adjustments listed.

green-pa
07-11-2007, 06:26 AM
I have the same kinda problem with my NEW scag 36wb. However, I'm only about 5ft 7, 145 lbs with small hands. The breaks/turning levers are too far apart for my hands to sqeeze without stretching completely each time or constantly having to squeeze them some so as to keep control. I'm still trying to find out. I'll probably check with the dealer in case no one knows on here.