PDA

View Full Version : 22" Toro self propelled trans replacement...

ltw77
07-09-2007, 07:36 PM
I know, I know, should have gone with commercial equip. but 3 yrs ago I was testing the waters for business as well as for myself. I didn't want to dive into the costly commercial grade stuff til I was sure this is what I wanted to do. Now that I got that outta the way, This is the first mower I bought and I love it and I want to keep it if I can manage to fix it myself. The trans or gearbox is slipping to the point that I am basically pushing this thing around instead of the other way around. I took everything apart and have ordered a new gearbox. My question is do you guys think it's rediculous to spend $60 and some of my free time with this repair vs. dumping ol' faithful for some new equipment? I obviously feel it is worth it being I am satisfied with its performance, but I just wanted to hear what you guys thought on the subject.

Toy2
07-09-2007, 08:22 PM
It should buy you some time, but in the end not sure ifs it worth it. Bought both of my 22's from HD. They would not honor the so called 2 year warranty when they broke.

The big wheel was used every day, my small rear wheel sat at my son's place as a back up. The front tranny gave out, then the rear...HD sucks, and so does their Toro line...my 36'' works circles around the HD crap. Buy commerical.

Restrorob
07-09-2007, 09:32 PM
As long as the rest of the unit is in good shape/still runs good I don't see why not, You sure can't replace it for 60 buxs.

Now, If you were paying a shop to fix it that would be a different story.

ltw77
07-10-2007, 08:25 AM
yeah, this mower is just for ditch lines and places my Q36 can't go. So the list of uses is short. I guess time will tell if this was a good choice. I agree, definately can't replace it for $60!!

lawnmaniac883
07-10-2007, 10:52 AM
Replace the drive belt while your at it.

Eric D
07-10-2007, 11:38 AM
LTW,

If it were mine I would put the 60 bucks in and the little bit of time to keep it going. Somewhere down the road buy a commerical grade, but as long as it is doing what you need done I think you are making the right choice. Just my two cents worth....

Eric D

ltw77
07-10-2007, 11:43 AM
Replace the drive belt while your at it.

Check! At first I thought the belt had stretched to the limit of adjustment. I put the new belt on and there was no improvement so I kept taking parts off til I found the culprit. I knew it sounded funny......"here's your sign"!!

ltw77
07-16-2007, 08:52 PM
just got my new gearbox in for my toro. they sent me the whole axle assembled with the gearbox. A+ for toro!!! Feels brand new again!! Can't wait to use it............