PDA

View Full Version : Still trying to get my Craftsman going

Michael.Sammons
07-09-2007, 09:55 PM
I had a 17 hp I/C single cylinder motor bust a ring and die. I found an old 16hp twin cylinder and put on it. I got it to fire and it smokes some and but is kinda sputtering. I know I'm still working on throttle and choke adjustments. Hopefully that will take care of the sputtering. But it starts very slowly. I had to jump start it with an automobile battery finally decided to get a 425 cca battery from Autozone today for it. But it still acts like it doesn't want to turn. I noticed it was jumping sparks from the starter housing to the rest of the motor, So I'm assuming that the starter is about to die. Can I use the started from my dead 17hp? Also does anyone know about how old this motor is? Model 402707, Type 0157 02, Code 85042212. Any additional information would be greatly appreciated.*trucewhiteflag*

Restrorob
07-09-2007, 10:18 PM
It was built in 1985, Need the numbers off the 17 to tell what may be able to be swapped between starters to make the 17 fit the 16 twin, I know the drive end caps for sure.

Michael.Sammons
07-09-2007, 11:09 PM
It will be tomorrow or the next day before I can retrieve those numbers. Fortunately, I still have the engine. I hope I can get it going. SO I have a 22 year old motor on a 5 year old mower.. :)

Bill Kapaun
07-10-2007, 12:39 PM
"I noticed it was jumping sparks from the starter housing to the rest of the motor"
Sounds like a BAD ground from the starter to the engine, IF I understand you correctly.
I'd remove the motor and clean any rust, paint etc between the starter motor and engine block.
You might want to do that to the rest of the connections, like motor & battery grounds to frame etc.