PDA

View Full Version : Best mower for neighborhoods

EOD
07-10-2007, 12:18 AM
I need some help. I have about 19- two-week lawn accounts and I wish to expand my business and get more yards per day.

I am looking at a walk-behind and a ride mower.

What is the best mower to get through gates and mow the grass good etc. I understand that the heavier the blade, with the horsepower to turn it, is what gives the best cut.

Throw your knowledge at me. Would appreciate it.

coonman
07-10-2007, 12:24 AM
I need some help. I have about 19- two-week lawn accounts and I wish to expand my business and get more yards per day.

I am looking at a walk-behind and a ride mower.

What is the best mower to get through gates and mow the grass good etc. I understand that the heavier the blade, with the horsepower to turn it, is what gives the best cut.

Throw your knowledge at me. Would appreciate it.

If gates are involved, you really only have three options in my opinion. Toro Proline 21", Exmark 26" and any good 32" Toro, Exmark, etc. I have found that a 36 will get you through about half the gates out there. For your rider, you could look at a 32" Stander or maybe a Gravely 34". Just some ideas for you.

EOD
07-10-2007, 12:32 AM
Thanks.

I was looking at the gravely, but it is $5000 retail. Then I couldn't find a used one. Is it that hard to find a good used mower.

Another question,

I push mow now..so I have no idea about the awesome commercial stuff. So, how much easier or faster is a rider than a walk-behind?

Mark in MD
07-10-2007, 08:31 AM
I'd go with a 21, a 32, and a 48.

coonman
07-10-2007, 02:26 PM
Thanks.

I was looking at the gravely, but it is $5000 retail. Then I couldn't find a used one. Is it that hard to find a good used mower.

Another question,

I push mow now..so I have no idea about the awesome commercial stuff. So, how much easier or faster is a rider than a walk-behind?

It depends on the lawn. If you are talking about 1/4 acre or smaller lawns with fenced yards. The smaller walkbehinds are the best for these lawns. I use 21's on these lawns, average MOW time is 12-15 min and it looks great. For your bigger wide open lawns, the riders will save you lots of time. Don't assume that the bigger the mower the faster you will get done. On the smaller lawns the big mowers are more trouble than they are worth. At least that is my experience on them. I have tried both.

RM n WS
07-10-2007, 05:40 PM
Talk to better 36, I hear they are looking at putting out a 32" to go with their 36 and 44.

GrassyTomm
07-10-2007, 06:36 PM
If gates are involved, you really only have three options in my opinion. Toro Proline 21", Exmark 26" and any good 32" Toro, Exmark, etc. I have found that a 36 will get you through about half the gates out there. For your rider, you could look at a 32" Stander or maybe a Gravely 34". Just some ideas for you.

Well, I know that in my area I can squeeze a 48" through most gates and a 36" will fit into ANY gates in my area. Around here, 4' is standard size for a gate and many people even have double gates for even easier access.

coonman
07-10-2007, 06:42 PM
Well, I know that in my area I can squeeze a 48" through most gates and a 36" will fit into ANY gates in my area. Around here, 4' is standard size for a gate and many people even have double gates for even easier access.

Wow, most gates around here are right at 35-36 inches. Most of the time would end up tearing up the gate trying to get the 36" in.

EOD
07-12-2007, 09:11 PM
Thanks for your responses.

Do ya'll have auto-drive (drive belt or chain) with your mowers (push mowers)?

My situations is: 90% of residential is 36" gates here in san antonio.

How much do ya'll charge for an average lawn in your areas?

What brand of walk-behind do ya'll suggest?

-EOD

lifetree
07-12-2007, 09:42 PM
An entry level commercial machine that will fit through 36" gates is the Billy Goat 33" WB !! Although, if the post above is correct and Better will be coming out with a 32" WB, then you should go with that because Better mowers are generally a better quality product.

ed2hess
07-12-2007, 10:14 PM
I am shocked that the Quick crowd haven't recommended their unit.....a good starter unit for owner operated business. If you got plenty of money get the Stander.....the 36" with RH adjustment is best with the 17hp Kaw. A beast of a machine and it does have seat and you can mulch our Texas grasses.