PDA

View Full Version : Another sad story.

TriPLandscaping
07-10-2007, 09:35 AM
Not in my area but heard it on a radio station. Very sad story. Just be careful when removing shrubs. Heres the article.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/tx/4951495.html

scholzee
07-10-2007, 10:09 AM
Though chains are more of a PITA than ropes or cables they rarely cause any problem when breaking if used for pulling.

MarcSmith
07-10-2007, 10:23 AM
ropes and nylon straps are horrible for this type of stuff since they stretch....

gotta use chain or even cable since it stretches less than rope. but chain is the safest way to go...

nmurph
07-10-2007, 11:57 AM
sorry for this family's loss. this illustrates the need to think safety. never, ever, stand anywhere that a snapped rope can hit you. i don't know if any of you have ever tried a choker cable, but they are great for pulling shrubs and also bundling limbs so that they can be dragged. the are available from agriculture/foresty suppliers. they are cheap ($10-15 for a 6 ft 3/4"), easy to use (they can be hooked/unhooked from the clevis of a chain quickly and will cinch down on loads by themselves) and they won't break (have pulled many loads of tree's with 110hp 4wd tractor through the woods and have never broken one)

Ravenwood Landscaping
07-10-2007, 01:43 PM
I'm confused. How did the snapping rope sever his arm? How did it also hit him in the ribs and chest? I mean I could see a snapping rope causing some major damage to someone, but enough to sever an arm and hit him in three different spots?? It doesn't sound like he was just standing back watching.

GLLawns
07-10-2007, 01:52 PM
Another tip when using chains, ropes, or straps is to cover the chains/ropes with a blanket or better yet a canvas tarp. That way if it should snap the cover stops the recoil instantly. I never pull out anything without using this technique.

KTO Enterprises
07-10-2007, 01:54 PM
I use PVC pipe around the chain.

delphied
07-10-2007, 02:19 PM
Many people have been killed by nylon rope breaks and even the heavy duty nylon towing straps. If you are anywhere inside the length of that rope when tension is on it you are in danger of becoming a victim. A friend was struck in the head and died instantly.

MarcSmith
07-10-2007, 02:54 PM
i wonder if he was trying to a clean/jerk with the truck and the driver nailed the gas, rather than easing into it...Its a big issue on large boats when lines get put under extreme tension and then they fail...They will clear a deck....

marc

IndustrialGreen
07-10-2007, 04:00 PM
If the rope broke under several tons of load, thats nearly how much energy was in the rope when it hit him. Several thousand pounds of flying menace is easily enough to kill a person. Seems weird just looking at a rope or strap, but if you do the physics, that how it works.

Throwing a heavy blanket or tarp over the rope will help to absorb and disperse the energy if it breaks, but this technique is inherently dangerous under any circumstances, if you put yourself in the wrong place, and the rope or strap breaks. Chain is safest, because it doesn't load energy like a rope or strap. but I still wouldn't want to be near if something let go.

Vikings
07-10-2007, 04:20 PM
I'm confused. How did the snapping rope sever his arm? How did it also hit him in the ribs and chest? I mean I could see a snapping rope causing some major damage to someone, but enough to sever an arm and hit him in three different spots?? It doesn't sound like he was just standing back watching.

He was probably at the shrub, trying to pry it out as the truck was pulling. Must have bled to death because you can survive a severed arm. I wonder if it was the helper or the boss.

When I was a kid there was a Canadian TV show called The Beachcombers. The cast, for the most part, salvaged logs from the Pacific Coast, north of Vancouver. One show the chain broke and whipped back and the spike stuck in the boats cabin right next to where the guy was standing. That show has given me the safety awareness not to stand near high tension ropes and such, for over 35 years.

Pulling vehicles and such, I'm always worried about something breaking and snapping back.

bohiaa
07-10-2007, 06:01 PM

yea It didn't explane it very well...

Leaves us to assume... I'm thinking it got wrapped around his arm, but that too is hard to understand,

prizeprop
07-10-2007, 08:22 PM
Hang your arm at your side.It touches torsoe thats how!!!

puppypaws
07-10-2007, 10:04 PM
When the good Lord pulls your number you will leave this earth as we know it and there are no rules on how you have to go.

Envy Lawn Service
07-10-2007, 11:16 PM
I never use ropes for anything like this.

But I'm glad I read this anyways because I do have an upcoming job where I am going to have to remove some evergreen shrubs. Two large junipers, two dwarf spruces, and two azaleas. Not looking forward to it....

S.A.L.
07-11-2007, 12:00 AM
It broke on the first try!
I'd bet the victim gave the monkey in the truck a thumbs-up, and the monkey nailed the throttle.

:nono: :gmctruck:

TriPLandscaping
07-11-2007, 12:14 AM
Ya its crazy. Just imagine wht was going threw the drivers mind after he saw this. I never use rope or straps. I always use chain. I too also have a shrub removal job soon. This story just reminds us just how careful we need to be.

Dunn's
07-11-2007, 12:15 AM
have any of you seen Final Destination 2 if so do you remember when the barbed wire fence went flying and cut the guy clean in half. Well that is somewhat how this guy lost an arm. as others have said the tension builds up in the rope/cable/chain/wire,etc and when it snaps all of that tension is going to be released into or onto what ever that rope hits.

In the Army I remember a training course we went to. Where they showed us the proper way and the wrong way to pull out a stuck vehicle while using cables, with a pulley the correct way and without a pulley the wrong way and being that it was the Army they set up an example of what can happen if you do it the wrong way. They got a tank stuck in a muddy bog and then cleared the area first where we could see it off at a distance. Then hooked a 5 ton to the cable then to the tank. They had it set-up so no one was in the tank or the 5 ton. I don't remember exactly how they did this. But in the end the cable snapped as they had it setup to do. We Lets just saying all that was left with in a 100 or so foot radius was tree stump after it broke. Not to mention the was a pretty good size dent in the side of the tank they where pulling out. I believe it was an Abrams. So if you don't think that tension could cause enough damage to take your arm of you are dead wrong.

I wish I still had a picture from that day of training to show you what can happen. Needless to say I never have stood anywhere near a rope or cable while it is being pulled since.

JoshC
07-11-2007, 12:23 AM
About 4 years ago I was pulling out a small tree with one of our tractors and the chain snapped. One of the broken ends came up and hit my elbow. Luckily I had just turned around or else it would have probably gotten my head. The other part of the chain that had been around the tree went flying and hit the front driver's side fender of my dad's new Chevy truck. My elbow was swollen for a week but luckily not broken. The dent in my dad's truck, well he never forgave me. For as quick as it all happened, my dad and I were both lucky that we weren't seriously injured.

I also know of a guy that had both of his legs injured below the knee while working on a tugboat. He was on land when a line snapped and flew about 12 inches above the dock surface. One leg was severed and the other severly damaged.

Focal Point Landscapes
07-11-2007, 12:24 AM
Just one more reason you should never snatch a shrub with a truck .

delphied
07-11-2007, 12:39 AM
Chain can also hurt you if it breaks. The bottom line is that you cant be anywhere that the tow piece can fly to if it breaks.

TriPLandscaping
07-11-2007, 01:05 AM
Ya but theres less of a chain to break than a piece of rope.

delphied
07-11-2007, 09:36 AM
Ya well if you want to get in harms way then go ahead.

TriPLandscaping
07-11-2007, 09:58 AM
Yes i know there is danger while doing this but I aint going to go rent a bobcat,then tear the bushes out,destroy the grass,replant the grass,while in drought, when i could just do it w/ my truck and not tear anything up. I understand it is dangerous but what isn't now a days.

delphied
07-11-2007, 11:15 AM
its not dangerous if you stay out outside the length of the rope or chain when pulling.

MarcSmith
07-11-2007, 12:30 PM
when we budget a job for man hours we usually budget the required time for digging shrub to remove them, but then we get thinking, hey I can just snatch em out with my truck and save a few hours.....Its this kind of thinking when accidents occur......

if you are going to use a truck/mower/tractor, ect use a cable or chain when you snatch em out....at least be safe....

razor1
07-11-2007, 01:42 PM
We snapped a heavy chain removing some large shrubs with a I.H. 4700 truck. There isn't much that will stop a truck of that size. No one was hurt or endangered.

Another Horrible cable injury story...........

"Teen has one foot reattached after ride injury
Six Flags’ Tower of Power severed 13-year-old’s legs above the ankles

Lasitter's feet were severed just above the ankles as she rode the Superman Tower of Power thrill ride at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom on June 21, 2007.

Investigators with the Kentucky Department of Agriculture said they have taken a cable they believe broke and severed Lasitter's feet, Wilbur Frye, executive director of the department's Office of Consumer and Environmental Protection, has said. The investigation will continue for several more weeks, Frye said".

Does anyone have any updates on this girl?