PDA

View Full Version : dump trailer or dump truck ?

greenspaceny
07-10-2007, 10:40 AM
My business is in the middle of our second season. Next spring I plan on purchasing a truck or trailer. We are a firm in upstate new york. 20% maintenance 80% design and build. Right now we are running one crew of myself, one full time team member and one part time member. Running my pick up truck and my foreman's truck. We rely on my suppliers currently for all of our material deliveries. I'm planning on starting a second crew next year. I would appreciate any advice .
Thank You,
Ken

mcwlandscaping
07-10-2007, 10:45 AM
What;'s your budget?

greenspaceny
07-10-2007, 10:52 AM
MCW,
I have a budget of 10,000.00

Guzman Properties
07-10-2007, 11:15 AM
if you went the trailer route......

do you have a truck that can pull it?
how will you load and unload it?
are you looking at a dump trailer?

Dump insert for the pick up?

carcrz
07-10-2007, 11:18 AM
It really depends on the quantity of material you get. If you can fit it all in a dump bed, I'd go that route. If you are needing something larger, go w/ a trailer. Really you will end up spending close to the same either route.

greenspaceny
07-10-2007, 11:30 AM
I have a 2003 chevy 4x4 2500hd
looking at bri-mar 6x10 or 12 trailers/ no trucks just yet
hauling mulch,crusher,plant material,etc

Gravel Rat
07-10-2007, 02:20 PM
How many yards at a time do you want to haul ?

A dump trailer will eventually just kill your pickup because your hauling more weight than you would be with a 1.5 or 2 ton dump truck.

Another problem with a dump trailer how are you supposed to get into tight spaces.

For 10 grand you won't get much of a dump truck it will be a well worn out one.

P.Services
07-10-2007, 02:26 PM
i say buy both. in the paper today is a 1995 gmc 3500hd 454 gas 52,000 miles for sale for $6,000 i think a truck like that is a good investment not too many miles not to big not to small. going with a gas engine will save you some money also and a 454 will still have enoght power to pull. so with 4k left you could still by a dump trailer or bobcat trailer or somthing else to help your bus. grow and make work easier.

Gravel Rat
07-10-2007, 03:25 PM
You want to stay away from the GMC 3500HD they are not the best truck they have quite afew problems. The 454 would kill you in fuel at 5-6 mpg it will cost you a easy 15 dollars per hour to run that truck.

greenspaceny
07-10-2007, 04:53 PM
4-5 yards at a time, maybe more if just hauling mulch. With my approx budget i was looking for a truck that could get me through 3-4 years. Not that i want to be throwing money out the window! But even with maintenance it could still help me grow and be more productive.
I appreciate all the comments guys!

tnmtn
07-10-2007, 07:31 PM
if you are wanting to carry 4-5 yards of crusher run that can get a little heavy in the trailer. i agree if you decide to go the trailer route you might want to consider upgrading to a heavier truck to tow it. also consider an older gas truck. they have plenty of downsides but also one very big positive. they are cheap to buy. with a $10,000 budget you could find one have it fixed up and painted and still come under your price. it will also have no problem hauling your loads. a guy i use has an early 70's c65. 366 gasser w/ 2 speed rear end. it is one ugly truck but it runs and has made him plenty of money. of course the gas is higher but you have to pay somewhere. if it works out good sell it for what you have in it and upgrade.
good luck,

bahamamills
07-11-2007, 09:03 AM
Do consider the added cost of insurance etc if you get the dump truck. If at a later time you decide you can afford a nicer dump truck the trailer should not be hard to resell. Also look on different sites (Craigs) or in the paper for a used dump trailer I have seen quite a few this years. If you go the trailer route DO get the brakes and break controller for your truck. Pulling is not the hard part but if your not careful you will get pushed into places you don't want to be....