PDA

View Full Version : St. Augustine Aeration

RAlmaroad
07-10-2007, 12:25 PM
My own lawn in SC is being replaced pallet by pallet of St. Augustine grass. A lot of it was there originally. Since I'm relatively new to St. Augustine, a question for some of you that have this type of grass. Can you aereate it and when should it be done? The newly sodded areas do not need it but the older parts are a little thin after getting rid of the trash. Also, there is very little thatch buildup as I pick up the grass clippings.
Thanks,
Roy

Smallaxe
07-12-2007, 08:39 AM
Not sure about St. Augustine specifically, but my understanding of "thatch" being surface roots. Thatch increases the need of aeration, in that it blocks water and fertilizer from getting into the rootzone.
"Clippings" would be considered mulch and thereby decreasing the need of areation. Mulch soaks, holds, and percolates water and serves as a buffer for fertilizer entering the soil.
Are these definitions matching the words in SC as they are in WI?

Fairway Land & Lawn
07-12-2007, 09:03 AM
Aeration is fine for the St. Augustine. My yard is nothing but. We havent had much rain and I started noticing the stress. Untill last night the times we were getting rain it would pour for about 5 minutes. You could almost watch the water run off the yard. I aerated last week so I could water deeply. No problems now, green as can be...Some will say not to aerate in the summer, but if compaction is a issue any time is as good as any..

landgator
07-17-2007, 10:06 PM
Spring is the best time May-June. Aerate, Fertilize, Water! You could even do a soil test to see if you need to add anything else to the soil. Email me if you have questions.

Primetime-SRQ
07-20-2007, 09:47 AM
I just had a Lawn/Pest control company come out to one of my sites and he mentioned that St. Aug grass shouldn't be aerated.... He did not give a definate explanation..
hmmmmmmm

turfcobob
07-23-2007, 11:57 AM
Aerate just before a growing season..Spring is good. understand the with St. Augustine the more holes the better like other grasses. The canopy of thatch gets so tight the roots need to breathe. the more holes the more air.
Aeration before the best growing season will cut the runners in each hole. This will produce new growth in each hole. The cut runners send up new plants where they are cut.