PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum for pine needles?

GeneseeJake
07-10-2007, 04:49 PM
I live in the mountains with native landscaping and quite a big yard. Lots of ponderosa pine trees. I'm sick of raking pine needles and there's got to be a better way. Is there a yard vac out there that will suck up the needles and cones off dirt and out of native grasses? I don't need to mow, but wouldn't be against a machine that did both. I can't justify some big riding machine or a commercial landscape piece of equipment. Really, some kind of self-propelled walk-behind would be ideal. Thanks, Chris

LarryF
07-10-2007, 07:02 PM
Maybe a cyclone rake would work for pine needles. Why don't you ask them?

http://www.cyclonerake.com/

If not, perhaps a drag-behind lawn sweeper would do it.

GeneseeJake
07-10-2007, 09:04 PM
Maybe a cyclone rake would work for pine needles. Why don't you ask them?

http://www.cyclonerake.com/

If not, perhaps a drag-behind lawn sweeper would do it.

I think you are correct, but I'm looking for a stand-alone unit since I don't own a lawn mower at all, let alone a tractor-type.

BTW, I emailed Yard Vac and they stated that none of their units would vacuum pine needles. Seems odd, but that's what they said.

LarryF
07-11-2007, 08:30 AM
BTW, I emailed Yard Vac and they stated that none of their units would vacuum pine needles. Seems odd, but that's what they said.

Well, they ought to know. Can you rent a push-type lawn sweeper and try it?

Capemay Eagle
07-12-2007, 08:53 PM
Honest to god, if you have a lawn tractor, get a agri fab tow sweeper. It picks up every pine needle you can give it. Its picks up everything regardless. I do belive that they do make one with a push handle if you do not have a tractor to pull with. A sweeper is around $220.00-$250.00. I paid $1300.00 for my cyclone rake and I think this thing works better.

jcb287
07-27-2007, 12:00 PM
The Cyclone Rake will pickup pine needles with no problem.I have a few customers that have pine on the property and it works great!:)

Capemay Eagle
07-27-2007, 02:45 PM
The Cyclone Rake will pickup pine needles with no problem.I have a few customers that have pine on the property and it works great!:)
He does not have a lawn tractor..I suggested the hand sweeper by agri fab, Sears also makes a hand sweeper. I think the sweeper works better thant the cyclone. I basically just use my Cyclone for the gardens now. I got the estate vac hose for the Cyclone and it works great..I bought a agri fab tow behind sweeper and the thing picks up everything, it is also great for picking up thatch..

jcb287
07-27-2007, 04:02 PM
Sorry Eagle,
My fault.I see that he said he did not have to mow.In that case he could pull the CR around by hand or fashion up some kind of body harness:weightlifter: :laugh: :laugh: .Any way he should be able to rent a walk behind vac or some kind of sweeper at a rental company.

So Eagle, you think a sweeper does a better job at picking up needles?I have had super results with gator highlifts and the CR in wet and dry conditions. I guess it depends on what kind of needles you are picking up too.

Capemay Eagle
07-28-2007, 03:01 PM
Sorry Eagle,
My fault.I see that he said he did not have to mow.In that case he could pull the CR around by hand or fashion up some kind of body harness:weightlifter: :laugh: :laugh: .Any way he should be able to rent a walk behind vac or some kind of sweeper at a rental company.

So Eagle, you think a sweeper does a better job at picking up needles?I have had super results with gator highlifts and the CR in wet and dry conditions. I guess it depends on what kind of needles you are picking up too.

Yeah the sweeper defiantly picks up the needles better. I could not belive the first time I used the thing and when I looked in the basket and it was full of pine needles, small rocks, acorns and any other crap that seems to get in the lawn. My main purpose for the thing was leaves, picking up all of this other crap without raking was a bonus. I only have one pine out on the side of the house so pine needles are really not a issue. The Cyclone is defiantly in my opinion just for leaves and as a grass catcher, it is only as good picking up anything as your machine is. I am looking forward to this fall after I thatch to see how well the Cyclone cleans up the thatched grass, that will be a big time saver...