PDA

View Full Version : Do you let helper use the Z?

privatelawn
07-10-2007, 08:52 PM
When your cutting with your helper do you let him use the Z? I try to do 1 lawn him 1 me on the Z so that he doesnt quit after an hour. How do you guys do it? Preferably Id sit on the Z all day :) but Id think the help would quit too fast.

Palmer'sLS
07-10-2007, 09:34 PM
My old helper, didnt run my z's the way they should be run IMO..my new helper however, respects my equipment, so he rides about 40% and i mow 60%...I have two z's just only take one haha...If your help wont weedeat all day, get another one...there are more out there, trust me

DLCS
07-10-2007, 09:40 PM
Why on earth would you make your helper trim all day? Its called multi-tasking, make your employees as versatile as they can be. Your employees will never learn to run all the equipment if they don't have seat time.

I run mostly solo but when i do have help, i expect them to do all tasks. This doesn't apply to mowing alone. I used to be a supervisor for a fab shop and all employees were trained to do more then one job, the more they could do, the bigger the asset they are to your company. If an employee only wanted or could do one job, he didn't last very long. The best employees can cover all bases for you but they must have 'seat time" to learn how.

If you only let your empoyee trim, he may feel like he isn't good enough to run the mowers and he will not give 100% all the time.

lawnmaniac883
07-10-2007, 10:01 PM
When I worked for a LCO buddy of mine, I would run the Z on simple yards that didnt have areas that could scalp or get messed up easily and he ran it on places that you had to know in order to cut and do a good job. Worked really well, the guy that ran the Z would cut the lawn then park it and go edge the lawn while the other guy trimmed. Whoever gets done first takes the backpack blower and gets the sidewalks, street and driveways blown off then if the guy trimming isnt done yet go get the handheld and blow off the back patio if there is one. If the guy trimming is finished while your blowing off with the backpack then he would get the handheld and blow off the back. Worked really well we could knock out 18 in a 10 hour day.

KTO Enterprises
07-10-2007, 10:09 PM
When I get a helper I would want one that I thought was intelligent enough to run the Z. Now one thing I wont have is helpers on my tractors, They are way to easy to tear up, and can do serious property damage, along with very quickly kill the helper. Too much liability in an employee bush hogging.

lawnman_scott
07-10-2007, 10:44 PM
When your cutting with your helper do you let him use the Z? I try to do 1 lawn him 1 me on the Z so that he doesnt quit after an hour. How do you guys do it? Preferably Id sit on the Z all day :) but Id think the help would quit too fast.Dont you have like 3 or 4 guys working for you? I would just run it myself. You are the boss/owner.

Grits
07-10-2007, 11:20 PM
I agree that employees should be able to run all equipment. BUT, watch out or they will think they can "call it" to mow everytime they get out of the truck.

T.E.
07-10-2007, 11:55 PM
I let them some of the time, but I decide not them. Problem is they are not as good on them as I am. Blow to much grass in the street, and tear up too much turf. Later, Tony