PDA

View Full Version : lawn guy questions me when i call for a mow/edge/blow

tbettis
07-10-2007, 08:54 PM
a good friend of mine for years, but now when i call him he's" like your lawn needs cut already"...not to mention i pay this guy 60.00 per cut and yard is approx 7500 sq/ft. he just cut it on thursday of last week and since thurs. it has rain every single day and the lawn has taken off. if i call and its twice in 1 week shouldnt he just come and cut and just do it and dont ask any questions...
what do you guys do when you are called to do the same yard 2 times in one week.

KS_Grasscutter
07-10-2007, 09:05 PM
a good friend of mine for years, but now when i call him he's" like your lawn needs cut already"...not to mention i pay this guy 60.00 per cut and yard is approx 7500 sq/ft. he just cut it on thursday of last week and since thurs. it has rain every single day and the lawn has taken off. if i call and its twice in 1 week shouldnt he just come and cut and just do it and dont ask any questions...
what do you guys do when you are called to do the same yard 2 times in one week.

Ok, so IF I understand your question...you expect your LCO to be on a "on call" basis. Not many do that. I am sure some schedule 2 times a week. Your LCO probably does not like the P.I.T.A. factor of having to be there right when you call vs. having a scheduled time.

The Slop Nazi
07-11-2007, 10:24 AM

I'm a homeowner that uses an LCO to cut/trim my lawn. In my opinion, if it has rained that much over the past few days, your lawn guy is probably behind schedule with ALL customers. I'd cut him some slack if he has traditionally provided good service for you.

evergreenedmond
07-11-2007, 10:24 AM
I've had customers call asking me to cut their lawn twice per week & I sent a truck over to get it done. I can see him getting mad if you wanted it cut every other week cause he would be making less money, but I don't understand him being angry about you wanting to spend more money with him.

Fairway Land & Lawn
07-11-2007, 10:48 AM
The only reason he is at all annoyed with this system is being "on call". A lot of LCOs have full schedules and must adhere to that schedule tightly to effectively maintain all of his weekly maint. Also, if there was rain, as you said, he is probably behind if one day was completely a wash. You may have hit him on a bad day. We are all human, and although trying like h ell to maintain professionalism, sometimes a simple request like yours comes across like a demand. He will get it done, just give it a day or two...

ADMIREDLAWNS
07-15-2007, 07:00 AM
I had two customers that would call me to tell me they're lawn is looking to high could I come back a second time that week. After trying to rearrange my schedule two or three weeks straight. I advised them we needed to schedule twice a week mowing in the rainy season. One agreed, the other said he would just cut it his self, after 1 1/2 weeks he begged me to come back for the twice a week mow.

I dont know about anywhere else but in Florida the weather is unpredictable enough, you don't want any unpredictable customers calling out of the blue for a mow. Understand he would do it if he could(money talks) but he would be risking fouling up his whole schedule.

leejp
07-15-2007, 09:16 AM
The "season" normally includes 25~30 max cuts and the lawn service shows up whenever appropriate to cut. More often in the Spring and Fall, less in Summer.

Additional cuts are extra. Lawn services will generally accommodate you if you call but it'll come out of the max contracted # of cuts. Some services also provide the option to have your lawn cut scheduled for later in the week at a premium. A lot of folks like their lawns cut on Thursday/Friday so it looks nice for the weekend when they may have barbecues, pool parties and such...

It's big bucks to have ANY trade "on call" around here as well.

Capemay Eagle
07-15-2007, 11:28 AM
It does not sound like the guy is "on call", he seems to have a Thursday schedule. I think what Tbettis is saying is that if he calls for a extra cut, the guy is giving him a bit of a attitude.

tbettis
07-16-2007, 01:18 AM
It does not sound like the guy is "on call", he seems to have a Thursday schedule. I think what Tbettis is saying is that if he calls for a extra cut, the guy is giving him a bit of a attitude.

EXACTLY!!!!

carcrz
07-16-2007, 09:06 AM
I don't really know what to tell ya. I know for me, if the grass is growing so fast that it needs cut twice in a week I am already so busy already just trying to keep up w/ everything there would be no way that I could stop & hook up for just one customer. I could double cut though if I was already there. That would keep it a little shorter longer.