PDA

View Full Version : John Deere 777 vs 757 question??

hossmp
07-10-2007, 11:03 PM
This is for all of you guys that run deere or have researched them a great deal. I see they have the 757 with the 60 inch deck and then they have the 777 with the 60 inch deck. I know one is a "mid-size" machine and the latter a "large frame" machine. I looked at the specs and they are stating that they both weigh in at 1300 lbs. How can that be? What do you guys think that have the 777 is this machine heavier than say a Lazer Z or a Hustler Super Z and the 757 more comparable to the rest of the mid size machines? I think its a typo on the website that they both weight 1300 lbs. I like the idea of the mid size machine with the 60 inch deck it has alot of trimming room on the deck. Do you guys that have a 777 feel that its clumsy or does it feel like the rest of the large size machines. I wasnt sure if this was more like a Lazer XS or many of the other diesel sized machines.

Loy's Home Services, LLC
07-10-2007, 11:49 PM
I have both. The 777 is water cooled and definately heavier. I use the lighter 757 on my large res. properties and the heavier 777 on more wide open areas.

hossmp
07-11-2007, 08:16 AM
Thanks for the input. I guess the website has an error when they are saying they both weight in at 1300 lbs. I figure that to be heavy for the 757 but not too heavy maybe even light for the 777. Do you guys figure the 777 to be comparable in size of frame to say the Exmark Lazer Z or the Hustler Super Z? or would the 757 be more comparable in terms of size and weight?

delphied
07-11-2007, 09:47 AM
My Exmark Lazer z with Triton and 66 and Kohler 30 is about 1350 I think. I think the only difference between 777 and 757 is horsepower and that may come from the same block size engine wich may not change the weight.

Grassman6
07-11-2007, 10:25 AM
It's just another misprint on the Deere site. That weight is correct for the 777 "Max" frame. About 200 pounds less for the "Mid" frame on the 757. You can notice the difference when you ride both machines because the 757 has a little better trimming abilities with the smaller frame. However, the 777 rides a little better and with 2200hrs on the larger one I prefer the water cooled engine.

hossmp
07-11-2007, 10:53 AM
Thanks, I thought the 757 seemed to be a bit high at 1300lbs for what they called a mid-sized frame. I do a great deal of business with John Deere for other parts of the family business. They have been wanting to see us a few of the zero turn riders. They where out at our place setting up a new tractor and offered a pretty good deal on a trade with an existing machine for either a 757 or the 777 both with 60 inch decks. The difference in price between the two only being 1200 dollars. I was wondering if you guys thought that the extra 1200 was worth it to have the 777 with 27 l.c. over the 757 with the 25 air cooled and smaller frame.

delphied
07-11-2007, 11:18 AM
I shopped JD before buying the Exmark and thought the JD 757 with a 60 was a great machine. The cut is equal to the Exmark and it rides and drives nice. Iwent Exmark because I got a better deal but JD is a fantastic machine and growing in popularity all the time.

hossmp
07-11-2007, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the replies so far. I was wondering if those of you that have the 777 or have demo'ed the machine is this similar in size to say a Lazer Z with a 60 inch deck or any of the other full size machines such as the Hustler Super Z or Ferris IS3100? I was wondering if they have staggered sizing and they are truely larger than the mentioned machines and the 757 just a bit smaller.

EJD Lawnpride
07-11-2007, 06:33 PM
i have a 737 and 757. I love both of them. The 25hp on the 757 should be plenty for you.

hossmp
07-11-2007, 08:50 PM
Does anyone know if the 777 is more comparable in size to the Lazer Z and the Hustler Super Z, Ferris IS3100 size mower or is the John Deere 757 more comparable to this size machine? I am referring to overall size, not the deck size and the weight of the machine. It seems Deere has a misprint on the website they say both the 757 and 777 weigh in at 1300 lbs.

delphied
07-11-2007, 09:33 PM
It is comparable to the Lazer Z

hossmp
07-11-2007, 11:22 PM
Thanks for all of the replies. So based on the input here I guess I can safely assume that the 757 is similar to a Lazer HP in terms of size and also a Scag Wildcat with a 60 inch deck. They told me they are priced very similar so I guess it comes down to someone wanting to have a machine that has more trimming ability and a little less impact on the grass itself due to the weight of the machine.

Envy Lawn Service
07-12-2007, 01:54 AM
Thanks for all of the replies. So based on the input here I guess I can safely assume that the 757 is similar to a Lazer HP in terms of size and also a Scag Wildcat with a 60 inch deck. They told me they are priced very similar so I guess it comes down to someone wanting to have a machine that has more trimming ability and a little less impact on the grass itself due to the weight of the machine.

No No No... hold on...

The 757 is still a full size machine. Comparable to a full size Lazer Z.

The 777 is just slightly larger to allow for the frame to house the liquid cooled engine and to also have the ability to house a 72" deck as well.

The biggest difference though is that while the 757 has a 'typical' layout setup for a 60" Z, the 777 is similar, but has a much wider rear track width... again to make it more suitable if a 72" deck is used.

I imagine the 777 might be better on slopes and may turn better due to the wider rear width, but the tradeoff is the loss of 'trim' out past the tires.

hossmp
07-12-2007, 08:24 AM
Envy, Thanks for clearning that up. You answered exactly what I was wondering. The website is not clear enough on what the two actually compare too but then whos really is. I would guess then the 777 has the same kind of stance in the rear as the larger machines I mentioned. Funny thing is I have an old bobcat that I truely love from back in the late 90's. It has a 60 inch deck but it has the smaller stance and I like the trim capabilities that it has. I like it especially on residential it handles like a smaller machine but covers a decent amount of ground. I always gravitate to the machine over my others even though its got so many hours it could fall apart at any moment. thanks again this really cleared that question up fo rme.

delphied
07-12-2007, 02:40 PM
you might like a lazerhp with a 56 deck then

hossmp
07-12-2007, 11:02 PM
I actually considered the HP series with the 56 inch deck. I even took a demo on one and wasnt pleased with the ride. I definatly liked the Lazer AS alot more and the regular Lazer Z was great also. My biggest problem is the dealers in the area for Exmark are ones that I dont deal with and have had bad experiences with on other things. They basically seem to cater to the big boys..I called one and he told me about the deal he did with a large lco for 20 units..right away I could tell he was interested in only the biggest sales not taking care of a guy that has 1-3 machines.

Envy Lawn Service
07-13-2007, 01:43 AM
Envy, Thanks for clearning that up. You answered exactly what I was wondering. The website is not clear enough on what the two actually compare too but then whos really is. I would guess then the 777 has the same kind of stance in the rear as the larger machines I mentioned. Funny thing is I have an old bobcat that I truely love from back in the late 90's. It has a 60 inch deck but it has the smaller stance and I like the trim capabilities that it has. I like it especially on residential it handles like a smaller machine but covers a decent amount of ground. I always gravitate to the machine over my others even though its got so many hours it could fall apart at any moment. thanks again this really cleared that question up fo rme.

Cool... no problem.

Talking Bobcats... the 757 is JD's version of the ZT225.
Just a little more complicated with the H-shaft engine, muledrive belts and unitized pumps.
But same basic layout.

You must demo the 7 Iron deck before you buy though.
The cut is immaculate in some areas of the country, sub-par in others.

Anyways, between the 777 and 757, I think you would like the 757 more.

NJ seems to be big on BobCat in some areas... you are yet another owner...
So why not a new BobCat?
They have some mean-arse models these days.

hossmp
07-13-2007, 11:31 PM
Envy, you are completly correct, NJ seems to be very fond of the Bob Cats. I have traveled alot over the years and never see as many as here. I love my old Bobcat, its a 1997 model that I have basically rebuilt everything on over the years. The new ones are nice however, I like my old one and its build quality. I feel it to be superior to the models they turn out now. I will agree though the old 22 Kohlers are nothing compared to today and it has a top speed of maybe 7-8m.p.h. But the cut is nice and the machine is well built. I took a look many times at the new ones. Funny thing is to me they want the same for a new one with the 26 Kawasaki and same for deck size. I am not knocking them I think they are good machines.

On another note, I demoed the 757 and 777 today. They cut very very good. I cut a few different types of grass and was very pleased. The 777 seemed to feel a bit better but as you mentioned no trim room but aside from my Bobcat the Ferris has very little also. The 757 was equally nice. I was told that the difference was going to cost me 950 to go from the 757 to the 777. I am selling the Ferris due to some personal issues and need to move that machine. I think after todays demo I will be purchasing a Deere in the next few weeks.

Envy Lawn Service
07-14-2007, 12:24 AM
Glad to hear it cuts well in your area.

I think you'll be another very pleased owner.

$950 is not a bad premium for the step up to the 777.
It seems in line.
The 'round-about premium for just a L/C engine is usually $1,000 +/-.

delphied
07-14-2007, 12:28 AM
I was told that the difference was going to cost me 950 to go from the 757 to the 777.

Probably money that would be well spent.

hossmp
07-14-2007, 09:13 PM
I agree, the extra money to go to the liquid cooled and larger hydro pumps and a few other things was very reasonable. I am going to be thinking it over carefully this weekend. I demoed a Lazer Z with the 28 Kawi air cooled one was the AS and the other the regular Lazer and liked both. The only thing that I noticed between the deere and the Exmarks for my grass types was the Exmarks cut nice but had alot of grass build up for the short time I cut. The Deere's seemed to cut as well for me and they had no build up. I cut the same grass at the same time of day to do a good test. I used three lawns that belong to my family. I didnt think to take pics I am sure they would make some interesting posts. I believe that demo's are the best thing since every mower will perform different on different lawns. Most of what I cut tends to be irrigated and thick. I have some open areas that I mow that arent but I use 72 inch machines on them.

Whatever machine I decide on I will be posting pics and details on asap.