PDA

View Full Version : Stihl trimmers

acgwinnett
07-11-2007, 12:12 AM
Looking to buy a new Stihl trimmer, just wanted to see what model yall are running. I have all Echo now but I want to try a Stihl, I've heard good things about them. Thanks!!

stephenslawncare
07-11-2007, 12:17 AM
the fs80r is the tried and true model. i run redmax but is just my preference. Stihl make amazing products that run great the only reason i didnt go w/ stihl is because they can be heavy and im pretty skinny and i just dont have the dealer support in my area. PS: dont go with and 4 mix trimmers, stay with the 2 stroke:weightlifter:

sildoc
07-11-2007, 12:21 AM
My two favorite trimmers to date. first is the husky 326lx and the stihl fs110.
ran echo for a while and didn't like it. redmax here is too much for what they offer.
I think if you buy a quality commercial trimmer you won't be disapointed with any brand just prefer one over the other.

cpel2004
07-11-2007, 12:21 AM
I love still trimmers i just have a problem with the carb build up. i know Shin doesnt have that problem. I own a fs250, 130, 85 and 85 extreme

Turf Dawg
07-11-2007, 12:25 AM
I also switched from redmax to stihl 4mixes. I personally like the fs90's. I am now running three fs90 trimmers, one 90 edger and a 600 blower. As my redmax's wear out I will continue to replace them with stihl.

B. L. Landscaping
07-11-2007, 12:39 AM
It depends just trimming the fs 100rx or trimming edging or hedge trimming the km110 they are both awesome

1MajorTom
07-11-2007, 01:05 AM
Matt's running the FS110's, great trimmers. Before that he used the FS85's, I believe was the number.
Strange, but we have never used ANYTHING besides Stihl equipment, since we been in business (9 years). Never had the need to try anything else, Stihl gets the job done.

timmac
07-11-2007, 01:41 AM
i use the fs80's and have no problems at all.

OMG
07-11-2007, 01:42 AM
Run nothing but 110's.

No problems at all.

swingset
07-11-2007, 01:49 AM
I run 2 FS90's, one with a bike-handle/sickle or blade for brush killing and a normal trimmer. Love that trimmer, it's just unstoppable. A buddy who got me into lawn care told me the 90 wouldn't hold up to heavy brush cutting, and so far he's had to replace parts on the head of his Shindy with a blade and mine's still kicking butt. Ran it for 3 hours straight today, wide open, knocking multiflora and high weeds down on my property, didn't phase it.

I also have an older 2-cycle FS45 that I got started on, I actually use it quite a bit even tho it's essentially a home-owner trimmer. It's super light, plenty of power. I keep telling myself I'll replace it when it breaks and I can't break it.

pclawncare
07-11-2007, 01:52 AM
I run a fs 90r as my main trimmer and love it although it is a little heavy but it does have all the power needed for heavy grass beats having to go back to the truck to get a bigger trimmer

ed2hess
07-11-2007, 07:05 PM
the fs80r is the tried and true model. i run redmax but is just my preference. Stihl make amazing products that run great the only reason i didnt go w/ stihl is because they can be heavy and im pretty skinny and i just dont have the dealer support in my area. PS: dont go with and 4 mix trimmers, stay with the 2 stroke:weightlifter:

I think I would agree on the FS80 it looks like about the the same as the FS85 maybe a little smaller but it is way too early to tell if the 4-stroke is going to be as reliable as their older units. Very few good reviews coming from our shop guys on those units.

GreenT
07-11-2007, 07:28 PM
FS80R.

Good balance of power versus weight. :waving:

mebergstran
07-11-2007, 09:37 PM
I love my fs80. I've been using it for 6yrs with NO problems until this spring when the throttle cable broke. It was a pretty quick fix though: Sthil shipped in the part the next day. Just bought an fs90r this spring and have loved it so far, too. I don't really see much difference between the two units, beyond the new engine. I like both of them a lot.

Sydenstricker Landscaping
07-11-2007, 10:01 PM
FS85 here for me. It is 8 years old and still starts on one pull. Only thing I have done to it is air filter, plug, new cutting head, and grease in the gear box. As my echo stuff goes dead, it is all getting replaced with Stihl. My dealer is a mile and a half up the road from me and has a TON of parts on hand, even the dorky ones that rarely break, and gives me good deals on things. Too bad they quit making the FS85. That I think was one of their best weed wackers

lawnboy dan
07-11-2007, 10:44 PM
the sthil trimmer is one sthil product i wont use-too heavy

firecapt13
07-11-2007, 11:15 PM
Just bought a KM 90 that you can put attachments on. I have heard several people have good luck with this type for a back up and maybe a hadge trimmer or chainsaw attachment. anyone here have feedback on this type

Midwest Lawn Services
07-12-2007, 01:15 AM
We have 2 of the 130 Kombi units. We run the broom, trimmer, hedge trimmer, and edger attatchment. I would recommend them to anyone looking to purchase a unit with various attatchments. We also run fs75..

bare spot
07-12-2007, 02:15 AM
fs110 and good thing is your able to switch out tools at the gearbox. like the kombi but just not as many. not got chance to used the trimmer head, been using the hedge clipper attachment for jobs., check out other day with trimmer head, lots of power

Just Mow
07-13-2007, 11:54 PM
the sthil trimmer is one sthil product i wont use-too heavy

Heavier than what

Langford2000
07-14-2007, 12:00 AM
We have both Stihl and Tanaka and love them both. I use the km110 split boom. It stays on the rack as my big gun along with the tanaka 225 for everyday trimming and fc85 edger.

65hoss
07-14-2007, 01:48 AM
I started with the Stihl FS85's. We have about 6 or so of them. I bought a new FS110 the first week they came out and have fallen in love with them. Since then I have been buying all FS 110's with great results. We still have several of the 85's on the trailers, but nobody uses them. They are now backups.

Rhett
07-14-2007, 09:00 AM
I have been using the km 85s for years with no serious problems. Bought two km 110 last year and have had nothing but problems. Gone thru two coil packs under warranty and 4 at fourty bucks a pop. Hard to start. After about 6 monthes hardly enough power to run the edger so relagated to trimmers. No more four mix for me.

MuleCutter
07-14-2007, 07:59 PM
I have been using the km 85s for years with no serious problems. Bought two km 110 last year and have had nothing but problems. Gone thru two coil packs under warranty and 4 at fourty bucks a pop. Hard to start. After about 6 monthes hardly enough power to run the edger so relagated to trimmers. No more four mix for me.

i bought the FS100r back in May and after 2 weeks of use the power started going downhill till finally it sounded like it was running on choke even when it was in the run position. i adjusted the valves, checked the exhaust port for carbon, adjusted the carb and nothing worked. my plug had carbon on it so i changed it and still nothing. took it to my dealer and the valves needed to have a real valve job done. like a couple other cutters in my area i got a refund. i do agree that stihl has awesome products... powerful and not too heavy but they need to work on a few things with the 4-mix TRIMMERS. the BR600, hedge trimmer and pole saw that i have are wonderful and i've had absolutely NO probs with them. oh yea... i replaced my FS100 with an Echo SRM-261T. so far i love it other than how hot the clutch drum gets when resting your arm on it. we'll see if this one last more than a month :)

delphied
07-14-2007, 11:23 PM
I have a big Redmax and it is a powerhouse but fouls easily. Im tryin stihl next time.

NewHorizon's Land
07-15-2007, 02:05 PM
I have two fs 80's. Thinking about going to 110's for the added power. STHIL is the only way to go.

turfcaster
07-15-2007, 03:21 PM
1st I would buy would be the FS80,80r,85,75,90,or 90r,I think those are the non-4-mix models.

2nd choice would be the 110's on up.4 mixes.

I am not sure I got the model #'s right. Basically I would choose non 4mix over 4mix.

We run both types and abuse them daily ,they love it.

I have worked for several companies over the years and have used just about every brand and model out there in hand helds. We run all Stihl now for a reason. Stihl is just better than the rest.

Anyhow, I like the non-4mix better because the throttle response/powerband is much smoother to me. The 4mix models seem to go from idle to anhialate with the slightest squeeze on the trigger.

The head on Stihl trimmers is way more effeicient and maintainence/free than the competition.

Rhett
07-16-2007, 09:00 AM
Mule, Went thru the same with mine. My mechanic and I have found a new brand of power head that is suppose to fit right on kombi system for 99 dollars. Going to give it a try. At 99 a pop when something breaks will put it in the parts pile and put a new one on.

dwc
07-19-2007, 01:13 AM
Within the last 2 weeks, my Stihl BR600 blower and FS 110 have both blew up. The blower is a little over 1 year old and the FS110 is a little over 2 years. I still have the old trusty FS85 that I have had for over 3 years that runs hard every day. Stihl needs to do some homework on the 4 mix stuff! I have never had a small engine blow up like these did. Usually they loose compression enough that the finally are junk after 4 years or so.

And no, this is not caused from improperly mixed fuel....none of my other equipment has had a problem and they all get filled out of the same jug all day.

I am considering Kawasaki or Redmax now. Does anyone know if the hedge trimmer attatchment for the fs110 will fit either of these trimmer brands????

Roger
07-19-2007, 10:19 PM
dwc, what is "blew up" mean in your case. I only get an image of an explosion. If an explosion, how did the explosion start, and why? What parts were impacted by the explosion?

dwc
07-20-2007, 12:53 AM
when I say "blew up" I mean the blower locked up when using it normal at full throttle, the trimmer lost all compression and they think it is caused from the valves with what they looked into it. I didn't want them to go too deep into it because a rebuild is not much cheaper than the whole unit.

So not an explosion or anything, just a completely trashed engine.

gll
07-20-2007, 09:50 AM
I use a Stihl FS80r and I'm very happy with it. I also have a FS76 which I purchased in 97. After 10 yrs , it runs kind of weak, but it's still a usable piece of equipment. I wouldn't ever buy anything but a Stihl for 2cycle equipment.

turfcaster
07-20-2007, 10:13 AM
Most of the mower shops around here keep plenty of FS90s(whatever the new non4mix model number is now) in stock,they sell like crazy, the non 4 mix Stihls are simply the best. They LOVE abuse.

qualitylawnlc
07-20-2007, 05:39 PM
most likely the head gasket blew. when you by a new 4mix engine you're supposed to get a new head gasket with it...seriously. since stihl provides a new head gasket when you buy one, do you think there's a problem? just traded trimmers today and bought a new fs80 for that reason. love stihl products, but no 4mix for me. one other thing, valve adjustments are considered neccessary maintenance on the 4mix. too much trouble.

Just Mow
07-20-2007, 08:26 PM
most likely the head gasket blew. when you by a new 4mix engine you're supposed to get a new head gasket with it...seriously. since stihl provides a new head gasket when you buy one, do you think there's a problem? just traded trimmers today and bought a new fs80 for that reason. love stihl products, but no 4mix for me. one other thing, valve adjustments are considered neccessary maintenance on the 4mix. too much trouble.

There is no gasket kit included in with the 4-Mix and you only have to do a valve adjustment if you feel a loss of power. I have three of the 110RX units that are 4 yrs old and did the first valve adjustment on one of them this spring. They have been great and now that I am using the Ultra oil, I have even seen an increase in power.

Just Mow
07-20-2007, 08:28 PM
when I say "blew up" I mean the blower locked up when using it normal at full throttle, the trimmer lost all compression and they think it is caused from the valves with what they looked into it. I didn't want them to go too deep into it because a rebuild is not much cheaper than the whole unit.

So not an explosion or anything, just a completely trashed engine.

I had one of my blowers do the same thing. But they fixed it for free under warranty. It was a bad valve that they said they replaced with one of a new material. The blower has not given me any problems since. Talk to your dealer about this. They should repair it.

fiveoboy01
07-20-2007, 08:50 PM
1st I would buy would be the FS80,80r,85,75,90,or 90r,I think those are the non-4-mix models.

2nd choice would be the 110's on up.4 mixes.

I am not sure I got the model #'s right. Basically I would choose non 4mix over 4mix.

I can tell you that the FS 90R is a 4-mix cause I have one.

Anyhow, I like the non-4mix better because the throttle response/powerband is much smoother to me. The 4mix models seem to go from idle to anhialate with the slightest squeeze on the trigger.

That's been my experience too. It's hard to keep it at part throttle operation. I almost never run my trimmers at full throttle unless cutting an open area of turf.

I'm thinking about buying a couple of the FS80 models(or R, or whatever the 2-stroke ones are) before Stihl quits making them.

ACutAboveNC
07-20-2007, 09:31 PM
I own 5 fs85 that I still run to this day and have two fs80s with steel shafts in them for better performace over the length of the day plus for my attachments. Has anyone had a problem with the shafts braking on the 4 mixs while on trimmer traps. My 110 snapped and cost $150 to replace the shaft and cover for the thing. I will only use Stihl and will always use Stihl.

turfcaster
07-20-2007, 09:48 PM
thanx fiveoboy01,We have had a few probs with some of our 4mix stuff, but we still use them. Seems once you get the problem fixed,whatever it may be,they are good to go.

Way back when the 4 mix stuff came out we got one of the edgers with the wierd head with the extra plastic wheel. Well it kicked butt for about a month and then it blew out the edger part. Had it replaced under warranty and it blew the new edger part out a couple more times. Never a motor problem at all,so we gave up on using it as an edger and put a a weed-eater shaft and head on it. That worked well for a while,once you learned how to handle the enormous ammount of torque it had. That one disappeared off of one of the trucks. Someone got a beast.

Thats the only 4mix piece we have had that had probs that werent motor related.

NewHorizon's Land
07-20-2007, 11:31 PM
Just bought a FS 90 R (4mix) today. I think it has enough power to it. I asked my dealer about the valve problems and he said bring it in every couple hundred hours and they adjust the valves for free. Dealer said it takes about 10 mins. They dont carry the FS 80 series cause it is more than the 4mix FS 90 so he says.

Neal0301
07-21-2007, 01:03 AM
I run the fs90 for thick grass and some brush clearing. works like a charm!