PDA

View Full Version : Opti-2 mix trouble

pclawncare
07-11-2007, 12:03 AM
I dont know what is going on with my trimmers but i recently started running opti 2 mix oil which i was running stihl befor. But i have notice that my edger has been dieing when i let it idle and then my string trimmer started doing the same thing. Anyway today i used my hedge trimmer for the first time this week it was running great and it had stihl mix from last week well i ran it out of gas so i filled it up with the new gas and it started doing the same thing. I can not figure this out but it suddenly dawned on me this after noon that it might be the new oil mix. I know alot of guys are running this stuff with no problem. I dont know what the deal is. Its not bad gas because all my mowers are on the fresh fuel from the same pump and are running fine, and yes i am sure that i have the right ratio mixed atleast according to the bottle.

SpruceLandscape
07-11-2007, 12:39 AM
I run all redmax equipment with the exception of my hedge trimmers that are Stihl. most of my equipment is less than 2 years old but they run fine on the opti-2. That being said, I have noticed that my line trimmer is tough to start, even if it is warm, but I atributed that to it being a "stratocharged" POS. What size pouches are you using of the opti-2?

pclawncare
07-11-2007, 12:47 AM
I am using the bottle that you squeez into the little resovoir at the top to measure out 1 gal mix of 2 gal it started with my trimmer being hard to start it is at 3 pulls now use to be 1 even if i have been using it with in 10 min then it started diein and then my edger and now my hedge trimmer today it would die almost instantly if i would let it idle i dont know what the deal is but it is about to piss me off i hate pulling that cord it is bad enought to do it 20 or so times a day much less 4 or 5 times a yard at 15 to 20 yards a day thats alot

Envy Lawn Service
07-11-2007, 02:03 AM
This makes no sense to me.

I ran Opti-2 for 5 years or so in stihl equipment.
No problems at all.

My only guess would be that Opti-2 has fuel stabilizers in it. So my guess would be that maybe it's in the process of pulling through all of the water/tank sweat that has collected in all your cans/tanks.

But I would first start by pulling all the spark arrestor screens. Could be broken loose gum, etc. Then I would progress to draining EVERYTHING, tanks and cans... and change ALL fuel filters... and start over fresh on filters and mix if it's not the gum.

If the mix had taken up all the sweat/water, draining everything and changing the filters is the logical thing to do, rather than trying to burn all that through the machines.

Roger
07-11-2007, 06:08 AM
I use Opti-2 in all my Stihl hand-held equipment. I mix my own ratio and use 80:1, not 100:1 as the bottle recommends. Another recent thread on this topic had suggestions of doubling the recommendation, which would make 50:1. My finding is that 80:1 works well.

Oldtimer
07-11-2007, 07:54 AM
Opti-2 is a 100:1 oil and works best that way.

We used Opti @ 100:1 as our store mix for several years. Our policy has always been to use mixed fuel in everything in the store so every gas burner we sell or service goes out the door with mixed fuel in it. Currently we are using Shindaiwa oil @ 50:1 and the only fuel we have ever used is Amoco/BP 89 (Silver). We used Opti in thousands of pieces of equipment with no problems but switched due to price.

At one time I had 6 samples of Opti packages being used as OEM oil. I can't remember them all but Echo & Red Max were a couple of them. I began using Opti in 1983 when it was being private labeled for Echo and had 2 mowing crews. We called it Skoal oil because it was smokeless.

Oldtimer

pclawncare
07-11-2007, 09:44 AM
All my screens have been pulled since i bought the machines so i know thats not the problem. What i dont get is the machines run like a bat outa hell when your on the throttle prob better then when i was running stihl but at idle they all die

SpruceLandscape
07-11-2007, 10:43 AM
double check your plug gaps as well. Maybe even look into closing them a little bit, that might help.

coonman
07-11-2007, 02:45 PM
I have used Opti 2 for years with no problem. I use the individual packets to take any guess work out when mixing. At the store I buy it from the guy that works there also runs a part time LCO, he says he mixes one big can and uses it on everything mowers and handhelds. Anybody else do that?

pclawncare
07-11-2007, 05:19 PM
Went to the dealer today and started askin questions the mechanics had me pull all my hand held stuff off the trailer he took it in the shop and worked on it he adjusted the carbs just a hair and turned up the idol just a little everything runs great now.

Oldtimer
07-11-2007, 05:42 PM
pclawncare,

Stay on good terms with that tech because he knows his stuff and is willing to take care of his customers.

Hope you gave him a good tip or a large bottle of brown whiskey.

Oldtimer

lawnboy dan
07-11-2007, 09:48 PM
if you cant adjust a carb-you should not be in this biz!

Envy Lawn Service
07-11-2007, 10:41 PM
All my screens have been pulled since i bought the machines so i know thats not the problem. What i dont get is the machines run like a bat outa hell when your on the throttle prob better then when i was running stihl but at idle they all die

Oh geez... OK...

All you need to do is barely tweak your idle speed screws.

Envy Lawn Service
07-11-2007, 10:42 PM
Opti-2 is a 100:1 oil and works best that way.

We used Opti @ 100:1 as our store mix for several years. Our policy has always been to use mixed fuel in everything in the store so every gas burner we sell or service goes out the door with mixed fuel in it. Currently we are using Shindaiwa oil @ 50:1 and the only fuel we have ever used is Amoco/BP 89 (Silver). We used Opti in thousands of pieces of equipment with no problems but switched due to price.

At one time I had 6 samples of Opti packages being used as OEM oil. I can't remember them all but Echo & Red Max were a couple of them. I began using Opti in 1983 when it was being private labeled for Echo and had 2 mowing crews. We called it Skoal oil because it was smokeless.

Oldtimer

If any OEM is now using Opti-2 as their OEM oil, I'd sure love to know about it.

pclawncare
07-11-2007, 10:51 PM
I could have adjusted everything if i would have known what was wrong with them. I started askin if he had had anyone else come in with this problem and he said let me see um so i let him see them and he messes around a little and that and apparently worked

Oldtimer
07-12-2007, 12:05 PM
lawnboy dan
LawnSite Bronze Member Join Date: Oct 2005

if you cant adjust a carb-you should not be in this biz!

This is a post from a guy who buys from pawn shops and runs Intek engines.

pclawncare purchases new equipment from a servicing dealer and spends his time making money instead of working on second hand equipment.

Oldtimer

coonman
07-12-2007, 01:01 PM
This is a post from a guy who buys from pawn shops and runs Intek engines.

pclawncare purchases new equipment from a servicing dealer and spends his time making money instead of working on second hand equipment.

Oldtimer

Agreed, we should quit the business because we let a pro service our equipment???? Come on!!! Should Tiger Woods and Roger Federer quit because they don't regrip their clubs and restring their own rackets?

Envy Lawn Service
07-13-2007, 12:35 AM
If any OEM is now using Opti-2 as their OEM oil, I'd sure love to know about it.

Anybody????

lawnboy dan
07-13-2007, 08:27 AM
i would call a trip to the dealer when you could fix it yourself time waisted when you could be making $ -any down time cost you lost productivity and $. as for the inteck-i only have one and wont buy another -its a pos. i only work on my stuff after i am done for the day and i save huge by buying used and servicing it my self. funny thing-after i stoped using opti 2 -my stuff started lasting longer. if you want to ruin your stuff running 100/1 -that your biz

Envy Lawn Service
07-13-2007, 11:33 PM
I always got the box of packets.

One packet per gallon of gas.

I have no idea what the mix ratio was on that, as it does not say...
Just universal mix is all I can remember.

I ran it in everything, regardless of mix ratio called for.
I used it for 5 straight years and never had any engine trouble.
The engines out-lasted the rest of the machine in any case that I had to retire one.

So whatever that mix ratio is with 1 packet per gallon is GREAT and it doesn't smoke either.

pclawncare
07-13-2007, 11:40 PM
I asked my dealer what the ratio was he said it was 70:1 on all opti 2 stuff weather its packets or the bottle like i am using. He claims this stuff is great so i am giving it a try much cheeper than the stihl single mixes that i was using

lawnprosteveo
07-13-2007, 11:46 PM
I tried that stuff out a couple of years ago...Had similar problems as you describe...I went back to Shindaiwa One oil...

newz7151
07-13-2007, 11:58 PM
i only work on my stuff after i am done for the day and i save huge by buying used and servicing it my self.

If you are working on your equipment after the normal cutting day and you are not paying yourself to do it, you are not "done for the day". You are working overtime with no pay, while the guys that let the place that sells and services lawn equipment as their business take care of all that are out spending time with their family and taking the time to enjoy their life instead of working it away.

Work to live, don't live to work.

Langford2000
07-14-2007, 04:21 AM
Originally I used the orange bottle stihl oil but didn't like the spooge from the exhaust. My dealer suggested the opti2 and while it did solve the spooge problem, the machines seemed to run hotter and didn't idle as well no matter where the carb settings were. After that I switched to the black bottle stihl oil and the trimmers cooled back down and no spooge as well. Been running that stuff ever since.

cpel2004
07-14-2007, 08:43 AM
I checked and opti runs at a 100:1 ratio, not 70:1 many dealers shoot answers out of their A**.

lawnboy dan
07-14-2007, 08:49 AM
whAT IF you enjoy working on equiptment? i do and am really good at it. taking stuff to the dealer for every little problem is just foolish and is money waisted in both lost $ from the time out of your work day and then there is the repair bill. any one who pays them sefl out of their profits-dosnt know how to run a small biz!

newz7151
07-14-2007, 09:25 AM
any one who pays them sefl out of their profits-dosnt know how to run a small biz!

Oh, well If I had known you were not operating your business on the "up and up", then I wouldn't have said anything. But a person running a business the legitimate way knows to pay themselves out of the profit so that the business doesn't show a large profit and have to pay taxes out of it. Boy, some of you people in Florida.. it's like you couldn't get far enough south because you couldn't find a boat so you just gave up and stopped in Florida instead of making it to where you needed to go.

lawnboy dan
07-14-2007, 03:53 PM
my biz is strickly legit -licenced and pay taxes.

ed2hess
07-14-2007, 06:30 PM
If you are working on your equipment after the normal cutting day and you are not paying yourself to do it, you are not "done for the day". You are working overtime with no pay, while the guys that let the place that sells and services lawn equipment as their business take care of all that are out spending time with their family and taking the time to enjoy their life instead of working it away.

Work to live, don't live to work.

Let's look at the math.....the repair guys makes twice what most people get for mowing so why give that money away. Scag Tiger dropped a hydro belt in the field this week......I jacked it up an put on replacement and back going in about 30 minutes....

lawnboy dan
07-14-2007, 07:34 PM
thank you! some one with some sence finally

pclawncare
07-14-2007, 09:14 PM
Wow people he didnt charge me a red cent for this stuff. BTW when my i do most of my own mechanic work untill it comes to internals but i just happend to be buying so filters and blades mentioned it to the dealer and he was like well lets see what we can figure out

newz7151
07-14-2007, 10:54 PM
[QUOTE=ed2hess;1896623]Let's look at the math.....the repair guys makes twice what most people get for mowing so why give that money away. QUOTE]

Wow, if you're only making $7.50 an hour mowing, you might find a different line of work.

Let's see,

A shop labor rate is, let's say $45/hr.
If you've got one tech. and he's making $15/hr, that leaves $30 an hour to help pay for other employees hourly pay, cover the utilities, the rent (or the loan if you're still paying the bank), and many other little costs associated with a repair shop operation. Parts sales and a small margin on equipment sales adds a little help, but not enough to really "clean house" as you must think happens.

Anyway, I think I've already distracted enough from whatever the original poster was posting about, so I'm completed in this one.

fergman
07-26-2007, 05:42 AM
i was running oregon only 1 oil. now im running opti-2 mixed at 100:1 and im getting ALOT of carbon:confused: :confused: :confused: im either gonna switch back or try that stihl hp ultra synthetic oil.

pclawncare
07-26-2007, 04:50 PM
I am now running stihl ultra synthetic or what ever it is use to be black now its white bottles and so far am very satisfied with it all the starting/dieing problems have stoped. Everything is back to normal most start on the first pull

Envy Lawn Service
07-27-2007, 01:01 AM
I am now running stihl ultra synthetic or what ever it is use to be black now its white bottles and so far am very satisfied with it all the starting/dieing problems have stoped. Everything is back to normal most start on the first pull

Well that's interesting.

I thought you were all fixed up with the Opti-2 there for a while.

I don't know why you had troubles with it... I'm at a loss...
My 2 cycle Stihls love the stuff and so do the Echos.

Is your stuff by chance 4-mix powered?

Anyways, obviously your stuff didn't like it then since switching oil cleared it up.
Glad you found a solution... stick to it...

lawnboy dan
07-27-2007, 08:28 AM
sthil ultra is way better than opti 2

DOLMARatOS
07-27-2007, 09:54 AM
Anybody????

Snapper has Opti-2 and 4 as their OEM oil. Strange though because they don't have any 2-cycle equipment.

DOLMARatOS
07-27-2007, 10:01 AM
This is another "My oil is better than yours" thread. Grrrrr.

Why don't we start a Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge thread. 2-cycle oil is like any other brand...use what works for you, period. But don't go around bad-mouthing someone else's product because there are just as many other guys bad-mouthing the stuff you are using.

All these products have to meet standards or production. If OPTI oil wasn't any good, then they would not still be in business. BTW. If your unit fails under warranty due to a warrantable problem and your manufacturer won't cover the warranty because you used an Opti product, Opti will pay to repair / replace your unit. Wonder how amny other companies would do that?

lawnboy dan
07-27-2007, 01:45 PM
has opti ever paid for a warrwnty claim for engine failure-i bet not! they would find a way to weasle out of it i bet. if you want to risk ruining your expencive 2 cycle equiptment by running it at 100/1 be my guest. it does work well at 80/1 or richer mixs but its way over priced and the 4 cycle is not even synth but cost like it is. sthil 4 mix users-please try the ultra oil-its fantastic in 4 mix equiptment. a rep showed me a teardown of a engine after 500 hrs using ultra and one using regular sthil oil. the diff was dramatic. the ultra engine was almost like new and clean inside.

DOLMARatOS
07-27-2007, 02:07 PM
has opti ever paid for a warrwnty claim for engine failure-i bet not! they would find a way to weasle out of it i bet. if you want to risk ruining your expencive 2 cycle equiptment by running it at 100/1 be my guest. it does work well at 80/1 or richer mixs but its way over priced and the 4 cycle is not even synth but cost like it is. sthil 4 mix users-please try the ultra oil-its fantastic in 4 mix equiptment. a rep showed me a teardown of a engine after 500 hrs using ultra and one using regular sthil oil. the diff was dramatic. the ultra engine was almost like new and clean inside.

So what you're saying is that regular Stihl oil is crappy?

Opti has paid 2 claims for us in the last 14 years. They were both for Stihl equipment. Stihl would not fix their defective unit because the customer choosed to use Opti-2 oil. Opti covered the repair and the process was simple and fast. Also, how much $$$ per mixed gallon is considered a good price on oil? $0.59 per mixed gallon for Opti-2 oil, you can reduce that amount by around 10% if you buy a case from your dealer.

Anyway. A word on warranty. If you screw up your equipment, it's YOUR FAULT. If the problem is due to a manufacturer defect in materials and / or workmanship, then the manufacturer should cover the cost during the warranty period. BTW, how long is the warranty for commercial use on those lovely Stihl units? What, 90 days? HMMM. Stihl doesn't get a lot of commercial warranty claims because they only warranty their equipment for a few hours.

pclawncare
07-27-2007, 03:12 PM
Envy i though i was all fixed up on the opti two stuff for a couple days and then all the equipment started doing the same thing all over again and yes all of my stuff excluding my hedge trimmers are 4-mix. They all run great now that i switched back to stihl. Not saying opti 2 is bad stuff i was simply asking around on here to see if i was the only one having trouble with this stuff or if it was all 4 mix users

ed2hess
07-27-2007, 06:58 PM
Envy i though i was all fixed up on the opti two stuff for a couple days and then all the equipment started doing the same thing all over again and yes all of my stuff excluding my hedge trimmers are 4-mix. They all run great now that i switched back to stihl. Not saying opti 2 is bad stuff i was simply asking around on here to see if i was the only one having trouble with this stuff or if it was all 4 mix users

I have used echo 2 stroke oil for 30 years.....with very good results...is this opti 2 oil that much cheaper? I know that Stihl oil is pricey....so high that dealer has to special order it, no demand in our area because of price.

weve
07-27-2007, 11:28 PM
I have used Opti-2 for over four years in Echo equipment and also in Shindaiwa 2 and 4 stroke. I've had no problems so far. Before Opti-2 I used Amsoil and before that Echo oil. All have done well. I always use a major brand gasoline without ethanol but it's getting harder to find.

Envy Lawn Service
07-27-2007, 11:55 PM
I have used Opti-2 for over four years in Echo equipment and also in Shindaiwa 2 and 4 stroke. I've had no problems so far. Before Opti-2 I used Amsoil and before that Echo oil. All have done well. I always use a major brand gasoline without ethanol but it's getting harder to find.

How do you know it doesn't have any ethanol in it?

weve
07-28-2007, 12:07 AM

I check with the station owner and hope that he knows what gasoline he is selling. This station has been in the same family since the 1930's.

Envy Lawn Service
07-28-2007, 01:00 AM
I think they ought to have to post it on the pump if it has any in it.
But from what I gather, they don't.

I asked this of you because I have reason to believe most of the fuel sold around here has ethanol in it. I think it is possible that is what has killed my fuel consumption (less BTU per gallon) and it could also be what was giving my Echo fuel delivery parts such fits....

pclawncare
07-28-2007, 01:23 AM
I am just happy all my stuff runs good again

44DCNF
07-28-2007, 01:47 AM
if you want to risk ruining your expencive 2 cycle equiptment by running it at 100/1 be my guest.

Thank you I will. I have in fact, since the late seventies, in motorcycles, mowers, trimmers, saws, blowers, and outboards with never a problem, never a fouled plug or clogged spark arrestor or carbonized port, and never an engine repair needed. I considered it no risk at all after a seeing that a young couple flew a pair of ultralights across each continent encircling the globe using 100:1 mix ratio (not Opti though) trusting not only their equipment but their lives to it's dependability, performance and protection.

I check with the station owner and hope that he knows what gasoline he is selling. This station has been in the same family since the 1930's.

I believe you could check it by adding a measured amount of water to a measured amount of gas, mixing it up, and seeing how much gas you have after the water seperates out. If the volume of water is larger and the gas is less after the mix, there is alcohol present.

I think they ought to have to post it on the pump if it has any in it.
But from what I gather, they don't.

I always thought there was a law that they did have to. Maybe that has changed or it isn't required if less than 10%

I think it is possible that is what has killed my fuel consumption (less BTU per gallon) and it could also be what was giving my Echo fuel delivery parts such fits....

I believe that and I think it is why gas doesn't seem to last as long as it used to.