PDA

View Full Version : 1/2 lowballers?

stephenslawncare
07-11-2007, 02:16 AM
I was thinking about how all of you guys are bashing these lowballers for charging 20/yard but what about the guy that are just above the lowballers?

For instance...in my area, for an average 1/4 acre yard the prices are:

Lowballers $20-25
High End Lawncare:$30-35

My question is, what about the guys that charge about $25-30 for these yards. I know I fit in this middle group and I know that probably most LCO's fit in this group also. What are your comments on this and is there a name for these LCO's? The people that aren't quite lowballers but aren't quite the "top tier" Just a thought.

DOLMARatOS
07-11-2007, 02:30 AM
My definition of a lowballer is someone that scouts your price and then undercuts it.

Usually lowballers have sub-standard equipment and may not give what we consider to be quality service. The kid in the neighborhood mowing lawns for summer money is NOT a lowballer.

The guy who pays his employees cash under the table, doesn't take care of taxes, liscense, DOT regs, fert. app. regs, etc. and is hiring undocumented workers or something is a LOWBALLER. They are not playing by the rules and are using the money they aren't spending on being above the table to undercut your prices. This is what erks the real LCOs.

stephenslawncare
07-11-2007, 02:46 AM
Most of the lowballers in my area have licenses/ insurance but they show up with (and I have seen this with my own eyes) a 72in ZTR to do a 1/8 acre yard...about two passes in the front and four in the back w/ a hispanic dude trimming. they were in and out in about 10min. now thats efficiency. However the yard looked like S***

dhardin53
07-11-2007, 04:12 AM
We must have one of the highs per capital LCO in the state here. We have a guy that started up for the second time here that got all new equipment truck, enclosed trailer, and 60" Exmark you name it hes got new. He has went to all my accounts and tried to under cut me for the work. Luckily I have a good repor with my customers and I did not loose any. He did seceded in landing about 5 or 6 good commercial accounts but is not making any money doing it so cheap. But hey thats his business not mine.

If the competitions is stiff there is nothing wrong buy putting your price above the low ballers and super cheep guy at all. If your making money and not the cheapest guy in town then your not doing bad. It takes time to gain the trust and accounts that want a good service and are not afraid to pay for it. If your in a location that there are enough of the high end commercials that are willing to pay the bucks and thats all you have, then your at the top of your game. but don't be so brash to think that you may have to work of 25 or 30 a yard again some day.

Its all relevant to your location and economy at the time, a good work ethics, perseverance, and some luck as well.

delphied
07-11-2007, 09:57 AM
If somebody wants to work for nothing or next to it, its their business, literally. I dont want to work for nothing. I just told a potential customer that was trying to get my price down that I didnt wish to drive my mower for free. I said that if I wanted to drive something for free, it would have been a Harley, not an Exmark! If your work is good and price is reasonable, the work will come. If you have to price way low, your doing something wrong.

bohiaa
07-11-2007, 10:51 AM
to be honest that sounds low to me,,,,

I wont show up for under 45.00

coonman
07-11-2007, 01:54 PM
to be honest that sounds low to me,,,,

I wont show up for under 45.00

Sounds a little to me also. I get 30-35 for 1/8 acre lots.

GreenT
07-11-2007, 03:00 PM
THIS is lowballing...

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=193562

ed2hess
07-11-2007, 06:59 PM
The mid range prices are the full time guys that are trying to make a living by just cutting grass.......food/housing/clothing etc.

Grits
07-11-2007, 08:33 PM
I was thinking about how all of you guys are bashing these lowballers for charging 20/yard but what about the guy that are just above the lowballers?

For instance...in my area, for an average 1/4 acre yard the prices are:

Lowballers $20-25
High End Lawncare:$30-35

My question is, what about the guys that charge about $25-30 for these yards. I know I fit in this middle group and I know that probably most LCO's fit in this group also. What are your comments on this and is there a name for these LCO's? The people that aren't quite lowballers but aren't quite the "top tier" Just a thought.

I have read on here a lot of LCO's saying they cut 1/4 for $30-$35. I think that is too low. I get minimum $40 and as high as $60 for 1/4 acre. Most being at $45.

Uranus
07-11-2007, 08:40 PM
THIS is lowballing...

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=193562

You might want to check that web address in the post you provided. Out of all the item that guy lists grinding in the only thing you can get on that site posted by desoto

delphied
07-11-2007, 09:38 PM
That is a dream where I live. I wish it was better but it isnt. I try to get all I can but there is always someone who will do it cheaper and I mean alot cheaper. Ive got 18 customers and my cheapest is 32. I have enough customers now to keep my bids a little high and I just let em slide if they dont like the bid .Let these guys run themselves ragged for nothing if they want to work cheap.

GreenT
07-11-2007, 09:42 PM
You might want to check that web address in the post you provided. Out of all the item that guy lists grinding in the only thing you can get on that site posted by desoto

WHAT??? :dizzy: :dizzy:

hess
07-13-2007, 11:58 PM
So what do you call them that have sub- standard equipment but do excellent quality work and pay taxes, liscense etc??