PDA

View Full Version : Great... A license to use a blower......

canopy2k
07-11-2007, 01:22 AM
AZ just passed a new law.. Effective Dec 31, 2008, ANY person who operates a leaf blower for "remuneration" (money) must take training on proper use of said blower. Just another layer.. Who the heck would have ever thought I would need a specific license for my blower?

Here's the wonderful piece of legislation...

49-457.01. Leaf blower use restrictions and training; leaf blower equipment sellers; informational material; outreach; applicability

A. This section applies in a county with a population of two million or more persons or any portion of a county within an area designated by the environmental protection agency as a serious pm-10 nonattainment area or a maintenance area that was designated as a serious pm-10 nonattainment area.

B. After March 31, 2008, no person may use a leaf blower to blow landscape debris into public roadways.

C. After March 31, 2008, no person may operate a leaf blower except on surfaces that have been stabilized with asphaltic concrete, cement concrete, hardscape, penetration treatment of bituminous material and seal coat of bituminous binder and a mineral aggregate, decomposed granite cover, crushed granite cover, aggregate cover, gravel cover, or grass or other continuous vegetative cover, or any combination of those stabilizers.

D. At least once every three years, any person operating a leaf blower for remuneration shall successfully complete training approved by the department on how to operate a leaf blower in a manner designed to minimize the generation of fugitive dust emissions. Any person who is required to be trained under this subsection shall complete initial training no later than December 31, 2008.

E. Any person who rents or sells in the normal course of business equipment that is used for blowing landscape debris shall provide to the buyer or renter of the equipment printed materials that are approved by the department pursuant to this section.

F. The department shall produce printed materials and distribute those materials to persons who sell or rent equipment used for blowing landscape debris. The printed materials shall be designed to educate and inform the user of the equipment on the safe and efficient use of the equipment, including methods for reducing the generation of dust, and shall include information regarding dust control ordinances and restrictions that may be applicable.

G. This section does not apply to any site that has a permit issued by a control officer as defined in section 49-471 for the control of fugitive dust from dust generating operations.

rodfather
07-11-2007, 05:54 AM
Sounds like something CA or NY would initiate...who does the training I would like to know

MarcSmith
07-11-2007, 06:43 AM
I like the idea of limiting its use on places to help reduce dust....Ie they don't want you using a blower on a dirt road. but thats pretty nutty....:hammerhead:

Just what the police need to be "blower police"

goodgreen
07-11-2007, 06:57 AM
Oh great, they can't even enforce laws that try to govern dog poop around here. First step in trying to license the entire business.

canopy2k
07-11-2007, 10:35 AM
I like the idea of limiting its use on places to help reduce dust....Ie they don't want you using a blower on a dirt road. but thats pretty nutty....:hammerhead:

Just what the police need to be "blower police"

Yeah, that kind of seems to be the idea. However, there are about 10 dirt roads in all of Phoenix. And Ive NEVER seen anyone using a blower on them. I mean, really. This doesnt apply to John Homeowner, and no one who is even half-assed professional is going to waste their time blowing off a dirt road.

I dont know if you noticed, but the law has no description of punishment. Is there a fine for breaking the law? Do you go to jail?

There is also another law just passed that I didnt post, but contractors who work for the city and city employees are PROHIBITED from using blowers at all on high pollution days. About 75-100 days a year. Their work is going to look like crap...

c2k

weeble67
07-11-2007, 12:19 PM
I am thinking that being the Cop to enforce that would suck. Some laws make no sense. This being one of them.

GreenT
07-11-2007, 06:59 PM
AZ just passed a new law.. Effective Dec 31, 2008, ANY person who operates a leaf blower for "remuneration" (money) must take training on proper use of said blower.

You are kidding...right? :dizzy:

KTO Enterprises
07-11-2007, 08:23 PM
This is why we need a 50 state wide association for landscapers to fight BS like this. But you people want to stay ignorant, well you see were that gets you. Like I said the government is going to involve its self regardless of whether or not we have an association.

Idiots

GreenT
07-11-2007, 08:40 PM
This is why we need a 50 state wide association for landscapers to fight BS like this. But you people want to stay ignorant, well you see were that gets you. Like I said the government is going to involve its self regardless of whether or not we have an association.

Idiots

Ditto :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

DBL
07-11-2007, 09:13 PM
that is pretty stupid if you ask me...blower training wtf

corey4671
07-11-2007, 10:10 PM
yes it is stupid because Arizona doesn't have any other problems does it? OH, yeah there's that little thing with SECURING THE DAMN BORDER!! Other than that Arizona must be an awesome place to live if they have no other porblems that now they can regulate the use of leaf blowers..what do you expect from a state that continues to send a spineless moron like John McCain to the senate....goahead and send your hate mail for talking trash about a war vet...I repsect his service but as far as a politician he blows.

deere615
07-11-2007, 10:38 PM
Definitely sounds like a CA law. lol:hammerhead:

pclawncare
07-11-2007, 10:58 PM
O hey i cant mow your yard tomorrow i have to go to my leaf blower safty course. Then i have to go get take my leaf blower safety test so i can get my licens to use the leaf blower what a joke

hess
07-11-2007, 11:00 PM
we all will be careing 30 license's for all the stuff we use i see it know!

Midwest Lawn Services
07-12-2007, 12:01 AM
They always seem to suprise us with something stupid don't they! Isn't this a free nation? WTF!!!! Blower license? We truly have some idiots running this country!

stephenslawncare
07-12-2007, 12:19 AM
my question is why does this only apply to commercial operators. I think if you gave a backpack blower to a average homeowner and a professional LCO, I think the homeowner would be 10X more likely to do something stupid and hurt someone/something.

GreenT
07-12-2007, 12:48 AM
I'm really confused.

Why blowers?

Why not mowers, or trimmers, or edgers, chain saws.

It would seem to me those are more dangerous machines than a blower.

Is there a lot of crack sold in Arizona?

Or is it the lack of water?

:confused:

pclawncare
07-12-2007, 01:05 AM
Lol That is great but seriously when was the last time you herd about someone loosing a foot, leg, hand, or dieing from improper use of a blower

jsf343
07-12-2007, 01:33 AM
oh brother, sounds like something Portland would try to do. Going to be pretty funny to see them try and enforce that. :dizzy: :hammerhead: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

canopy2k
07-12-2007, 08:24 AM
I'm really confused.

Why blowers?

Why not mowers, or trimmers, or edgers, chain saws.

It would seem to me those are more dangerous machines than a blower.

Is there a lot of crack sold in Arizona?

Or is it the lack of water?

:confused:

They are trying to control particulate pollution. They must think that professionals that use leaf blowers spend all day blowing off dirt lots or something. When they give a training class they'll teach you how to blow only on concrete, asphalt, grass, or rock.

In other words, they are idiots.

c2k

fiveoboy01
07-12-2007, 10:51 PM

Idiots

Idiots is putting it nicely:laugh:

Americal Vet
07-12-2007, 11:01 PM
Yeah, that kind of seems to be the idea. However, there are about 10 dirt roads in all of Phoenix. And Ive NEVER seen anyone using a blower on them. I mean, really. This doesnt apply to John Homeowner, and no one who is even half-assed professional is going to waste their time blowing off a dirt road.

I dont know if you noticed, but the law has no description of punishment. Is there a fine for breaking the law? Do you go to jail?

There is also another law just passed that I didnt post, but contractors who work for the city and city employees are PROHIBITED from using blowers at all on high pollution days. About 75-100 days a year. Their work is going to look like crap...

c2k

I wonder about the idiot that introduced the Bill to the legislature:dizzy: Maybe the groundskeepers at the state capitol were blowing the sidewalks and got his new Caddilac dusty...

ccondie
07-12-2007, 11:22 PM
thats got to be the biggest crock of **** i have heard of in a while. who the hell came up with that law

hess
07-13-2007, 08:05 AM
thats got to be the biggest crock of **** i have heard of in a while. who the hell came up with that law
I think it was president Bush:laugh:

Grassmechanic
07-14-2007, 09:35 AM
Easiest way to get around that BS law is to offer FREE blowing. No money exchanging hands.

canopy2k
07-15-2007, 01:03 AM
Good call...

c2k

DillonsLawnCare
07-16-2007, 10:18 PM
what state is that in? all of them?? no way

Grass Happens
07-16-2007, 10:38 PM
Typical politics. Upper echelon tax-payers are distrubed by the noise and dust, so with their contribution check, the add a little note, and bam, done. Sure rocks/debris can be kicked up by a blower to hurt someone, but i honestly think that said debris kicked up by a mower may cause much more damage. 200mph blower Vs. debris kicked out buy a blade spinning at 19200 feet per minute backed by 20+Hp, I'm no physicist, but im going to go with the spinning blade of doom. Instead of passing a "we think your ******ed, so were going to make you take a class taught by a moron, so you can use about the most harmless equipment on your truck"test; they need to license LCO's. If taking a class and paying some money was all it took to get rid of Billy-bobs hillbilly mow and blow, I'd be for that. Sucks to be you AZ, but I'll bet we will all get something like this. Stupid 99 monkeys.

Chilehead
07-16-2007, 11:12 PM
How absolutely assnine. When you think about it, chainsaws are louder than blowers. Mowers, trenchers, skid steers, and a whole bunch of trimmers are too. Gee, maybe I should supplement their law with something like writing a ticket for landscapers who don't let the white walls show on their trailer tires. You know, some people do in fact like white walls and you might offend someone if they don't show... Go pound sand you morons!

Matts lawn care
07-17-2007, 10:34 AM
Easiest way to get around that BS law is to offer FREE blowing. No money exchanging hands.

I agree problem solved. they are so concerned about blowers rather than securing the borders!:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

J&R Landscaping
07-17-2007, 11:05 AM
Thats a good idea, the charges are for the mowing and trimming, the clean-up is complimentary!

I don't see how they can enforce a law like this at all. Do they expect you to pay for this "training" or what? Thats some really messed up sh!t!!

Supper Grassy
07-17-2007, 12:23 PM
Problem Sloved

Frontier-Lawn
07-17-2007, 02:22 PM
We'll here in North Port if you want a OL to do bizz here the city want's copy's of all 3 agency's credit reports for personal and Company credit and also last years tax return and proof of insure, all papers filed with the state &$100 per year. And the county just wants the copy of a Filing of Company name with the state and $15yr and your set.

so its Sounds like Az may start more moron laws soon.