PDA

View Full Version : Nicolock

neversatisfiedj
07-11-2007, 10:03 AM
Anyone using this . I'm looking to use it for an entryway with 3 steps and a walkway. Anyone like the product or have any gripes with it ? I have yet to use the product myself. Thx

DVS Hardscaper
07-11-2007, 08:29 PM
I like Nicolock. Infact, we're an authorized contractor for them!

We install 50% Nicolock, and 50% of another brand.

I like Nicolock's Mini-Colonial wall block. I like the fact that their end units have notches in them for splitting corners. See....I refuse to spend $1000 on a block splitter. A block splitter that is of flimsy construction, and the metal ends up bending. I can buy a NICE hydraulic press that will last forever for $1000! So I like Nico's mini-colonial because we can split the corners with a hammer and chissel in about 30 seconds. The negative aspect of their mini-colonial is that it does not use connectors. Connectors are nice because it helps keep the block perfectly straight, vertically.

Manufacturers can talk "density" this and "density" that. And in the last 11 years I have used products that were available before the manufacturer with the super dooper looper density came along, and have had no problems. Some homes have walls built with 2x4's....some are built with 2x6's.....

I like Nicolock.

I will say it is not as good as another particular brand.

But it is a good product in my eyes.

Only one company can be number 1!

GreenMonster
07-11-2007, 08:45 PM
A $1000 air assisted hydraulic splitter might possibly be the best $1000 I've ever spent.

ChampionLS
07-11-2007, 10:27 PM
Nicolock, Cambridge and EP Henry all use the same paver making machinery. 2 part BaseMix/FaceMix. Concentration of fine aggregrate and pigment on the top 3/8".

I've never seen a cheap guillotine for splitting block. We use a Montolit from Italy and I get a back ache just moving it.

Mike33
07-11-2007, 10:59 PM
Are they made in Frederick?
Mike

ChampionLS
07-12-2007, 12:25 AM
Connecticut. And soon... Northern NJ

neversatisfiedj
08-01-2007, 07:47 AM
Yes Mike they opened a plant in Frederick last year. Andrew I want to build a landing 2' high with the mini-colonial. I don't like the fact that its not a pinned system though. Even with Pl glue as strong as it is, it's still nice to have a pin in there also.