PDA

View Full Version : Considering a swivel wheel sulky purchase... will it work for my property?

leejp
07-11-2007, 12:32 PM
I have a 36" walkbehind dual hydro with a Kohler 15HP and Meg-Mo blades. I am considering the purchase of a swivel wheel sulky but wonder if it'll work for me.

I only have a 1/2 acre lot (actually mow a little less than that) but much of it is sloped. The slope is fairly gentle and I'd rarely mow directly up and down the slope but I'm 190lbs and I wonder if I'll have enough power and if the sulky will actually work mowing primarily side angle.

Budget
07-11-2007, 12:50 PM
You should be ok if you don't have any steep slopes. I have a Ferris 48"DD, with a 15 hp. and was surprised at how well this get's me around (210lbs).
I have a Bullrider fixed unit so i can back up with ease, but see many other types used, i only have about 35 hrs riding on it and so far very happy.

mcwlandscaping
07-11-2007, 06:12 PM
You should be fine, worse comes to worse you walk behind it when you go up the hills.......

leejp
07-12-2007, 10:12 AM
This will be my first Sulky. The slope on my property is at worst is 15~20 degrees so I'm thinking I'm OK too. I am purchasing the swivel wheel model to avoid jackknifing (not much more $$$).

How steep is the learning curve? I notice that the commercial guys are absolutely flying around the lawns around here.

My throttle hardly moves above the slowest setting when walking. I assume with the sulky the throttle must be set to fast to assomodate the added weight so when I step off to lighten the load going up hill do I have to be careful it doesn't run away on me?

Also how hard is the sulky to handle mowing side hill (one side of the deck higher than other) or at a "compound" angle?

cgaengineer
07-13-2007, 08:20 AM
I have a 36" walkbehind dual hydro with a Kohler 15HP and Meg-Mo blades. I am considering the purchase of a swivel wheel sulky but wonder if it'll work for me.

I only have a 1/2 acre lot (actually mow a little less than that) but much of it is sloped. The slope is fairly gentle and I'd rarely mow directly up and down the slope but I'm 190lbs and I wonder if I'll have enough power and if the sulky will actually work mowing primarily side angle.

Give me a few days and I will let you know how my 40" Toro T2 does with the same Velke Sulky you are describing (Have one on order)...I however do have the 40" and it weights 667 pounds, not sure how much your 36" weights. I have a 30 degree slope in my rear yard so I should be able to test pretty well. I almost got the sulky Monday, but then thought I may get the Toro TruTrac instead...when I went back it was sold.

cgaengineer
07-13-2007, 12:46 PM
My Velke Sulky came in today...will try out this evening and post my thoughts.

cgaengineer
07-16-2007, 12:01 AM
leejp...which walkbehind dual hydro do you have? I think I remember seeing it was a Toro...if its a Turbo force T2 the arm on the Velke Sulky is going to be too long...even if its the 15" arm. I mounted mine and I am really hunched over and uncomfortable...its ok going up hills, but going down you are holding yourself up with toes...hurts toes after about 5 minutes...also hurts your back. I am taking mower and Velke to dealer tomorrow to let them look at it.

leejp
07-16-2007, 12:18 AM
leejp...which walkbehind dual hydro do you have? I think I remember seeing it was a Toro...if its a Turbo force T2 the arm on the Velke Sulky is going to be too long...even if its the 15" arm. I mounted mine and I am really hunched over and uncomfortable...its ok going up hills, but going down you are holding yourself up with toes...hurts toes after about 5 minutes...also hurts your back. I am taking mower and Velke to dealer tomorrow to let them look at it.

36" redhawk dual hydro which is from Havener enterprises. The same folks who sell the swivel wheel sulky (mowersulky).

From the RedHawk website...
http://www.redhawk-usa.com/images/products/36KO150H_lg.jpg
http://www.redhawk-usa.com/images/products/RH3R_lg.jpg

From Mowersulky (Havener)...
http://shopnow.secureonlinecart.com/store/images.php?op=product&store_id=1016&id=13&rand=1184555746

Looks like the same sulky. I think I should be OK...

leejp
07-19-2007, 09:31 PM
Just received it today. Hooked it up, greased all fittings and mowed a small section of lawn. Some observations...

I now have the following setup

Red Hawk 36" cut dual hydro 15HP Kohler
Meg-Mo blades
Havener Swivel Wheel Sulky

Quick observations...

I have enough power. I rode around 1/2 throttle or less.

This is my first time on a sulky. I's a bit nerve racking 1st time. Wonder how long does it take to get good enough to zip around?

Gotta be careful when the grass is wet. Much more likelihood of tearing up the lawn with the Sulky. Especially when in reverse.

cgaengineer
07-19-2007, 11:05 PM
I ran mine full throttle once I thought I had the hang of it...I cut a swath to the right of my existing cut...I imagine it will take several hours to get the hang of it.

My sulky is going back, Wright Mfg said it will be months before they get a new arm built so I may as well return. I will walk for a few months...besides..winter is on its way and the mower will be parked.