PDA

View Full Version : Another "tires causing damage story"

FIRESCOOBY
07-11-2007, 01:26 PM
I have this account that is among several in my neighborhood. This older couple bought the house this spring, and I have been doing it for about 2 months.

The previous owner had new Fescue Sod installed about 3 years ago, used a treatment company, had an irrigation system installed and USED it.

I got a call on July 3rd from the new owner. He said he had these "atrocious" lines in his yard. The house is past mine, and I never go by it unless cutting his yard. I told him it's probably "stripes", but I'll come look at it. When I pulled up...he was right...TIRE TRACKS...and it looked HORRIBLE!!!

I got out and was very humble and embarrassed. We started talking and I was apologizing and telling him that it is not "dead", but it does look bad. I asked him if he was running the irrigation system on the days allowed with the water ban. He was previously after I set it up for him. He said "No, it rained last week so I turned the system off...plus it's so expensive". So...it rained the end of June VERY hard and only for about 30 minutes. Other than that, it's had no water. I told him he needed to leave it running unless we get significant rainfall for a few days.

As I was leaving, I noticed a large burn swath. I looked a little closer and noticed granular fertilizer on the ground. I asked him if he spilled some fertilizer there and he said "Hmmm, my son-in-law must have. I asked did he spill it anywhere else. He said..."I'm not sure, he put it on the yard this past weekend when he came up". I was kind of in shock. Apparently he came up over the weekend and noticed the yard was not looking as good as when he helped him move in. HELLO: Drought, no treatments, no irrigation, bi-weekly mowings insisted on, etc. He went to the feed & seed store and put out "5 or 6" 50lb bags of 10-10-10.

I told him that now was definitely NOT the time to do applying fertilizer to a Fescue lawn in Georgia. He went on to say that the yard was one of the reasons they bought the house. "It looked so good when we moved in". I told him that the previous owner irrigated regularly, had a treatment program, mowed at the appropriate height and interval. These people insist on bi-weekly mowings only. I cut at 3" the first time and they insisted I cut "MUCH LOWER". I explained to the what Fescue needs but they insisted. Now I cut at 2.5" and they requested I GO LOWER. I told them that I will not go any lower than the current height and they agreed.

These people moved here from Florida and they had no yard whatsoever there. They said they had "gravel" installed instead of grass at their previous house.

Oh well...just venting.

thesargent
07-11-2007, 05:40 PM
oh my, i hate it when people just wont get it. i dont understand peoples fetish with short grass, its like some think fescues, and rye grasses can be mowed like a putting green and be watered twice a month and mowed once a month, then they dont understand why it browns out when it 90+ degrees for 3 weeks straight. oh well, sorry bout the nonsense dude.

South Florida Lawns
07-11-2007, 06:47 PM
we're in a drought it ain't your fault. tell them there is nothing you can do just water as much as possible on the correct days. Oh and never cut lower than need be even if asked it will just burn the grass out. That guy is dumb you never fert and not water, especially in a drought.

Precision
07-12-2007, 12:03 AM
typical caviar tastes, cat food budget and everyone owes me attitude that really drives me nuts.

I mean really, do people thing they will have a beautiful lawn if scalped every other week and never watered and fertilized when they feel like it with no plan.

Yeah Sure. And I'm gonna win lotto without buying a ticket too.

Envy Lawn Service
07-12-2007, 12:44 AM
typical caviar tastes, cat food budget and everyone owes me attitude that really drives me nuts.

I mean really, do people thing they will have a beautiful lawn if scalped every other week and never watered and fertilized when they feel like it with no plan.

Yeah Sure. And I'm gonna win lotto without buying a ticket too.

Right on!!!! :drinkup: