PDA

View Full Version : What would you do, I know what I bid....

AJ Lawnscapes
07-11-2007, 01:41 PM
So this customer calls me. Father of a friend that my business partner went to school with.

Guy bought all the pavestone/aggregate/sand and started to dig a 11x16 patio. He only got about 1 1/2 inches down before he gave up and called us.

He's got all the materials, so there goes that margin right out the door. So this is basically a labor/level job.

I bid him $1800 to do the digging/dumping/leveling etc. for this job. Plus throwing in a yard of mulch and some boxwoods to break up the transition from under the deck to yard.

On top of that I have to travel 45miles one way.

I think I bid it probably too low, but I don't think he'll go for it.

Also threw out a $2500 bid for doing a corner Planter box that I make, 8'x4" drain pipe to divert water from it,perennial grasses/shrubs in it, and Lattice to hide the AC, Tanbark the beds I'm making, perennial grasses/shrubs, weeping cherry and dogwood trees.

Probably under bid it because of the Trees, which I said would impact the price, and could cause it to go a little higher. But it's a luxury, and it's in a $350K+ development, 45miles from my business.

What do you all think?

hoskm01
07-12-2007, 07:53 AM
If you think you underbid it, then I agree with you.

AJ Lawnscapes
07-13-2007, 01:39 AM
Thanks, I actually felt guilty giving him the estimates. I mean, I can't fathom paying that kind of money for anything, so being poor all my life bites me in the ass when estimating.

I've been working in the business for other for about 10 years. I've always done the labor part of it.

Now that I"m doing the estimating, billing, driving, etc. part, it's a whole different ball game.

I think I'll get the job, but I think he'll wait the whole 7 days to let me know.

Appreciate your response.

==Abe

richallseasons
07-13-2007, 11:17 PM
I think you whored yourself out

tthomass
07-13-2007, 11:31 PM
$1800........get an excavator and be in and out in a day.

An 11x16 I can excavate and smooth/clean with rakes and shovels in an hour, two people......then rake out the excavated soil, throw in your shrubs and mulch.

1/2 day job + travel

AJ Lawnscapes
07-14-2007, 12:51 PM
Thanks richallseasons - you're probably right, but it gets me in the neighborhood.

tthomass -- that's exactly what I was thinking too.

We got the job, fella called me last night while I was out with my wife. Looking forward to doing it.

Thanks all!