PDA

View Full Version : It Is DRYYYYYYYYYYY

Frue
07-11-2007, 05:00 PM
Looking for ideas on what to do when your mowing is shot. It is really dry so I am looking for tips from those who went through some dry times and made it. Lets here it fellas, lets here from the pros. Guys are already being laid off around here. I average about 50 hours a week that was cut in half last week and I only have 9.5 in this week. Thanks in advance on the replies.

1MajorTom
07-11-2007, 05:23 PM
Wow, that's not too far away from us. Sorry to hear that, but we are getting rain just when we need it. We just got at least another 3/4 inch today.
Now's the time to step up the hedge trimming, and do some bed maintenance, mulching etc. Sell, sell, sell to your existing customers. I know it's easier said than done, but you got to ask and make suggestions to your current customers for other work.

We've gone thru tough times, but we always carrry enough accounts to always get thru.
You can also start advertising some other services, general hauling, pool cleaning, deck cleaning. Depends upon how hungry you are, how far you want to differentiate into other things.

Frue
07-11-2007, 05:41 PM
Wow, that's not too far away from us. Sorry to hear that, but we are getting rain just when we need it. We just got at least another 3/4 inch today.
Now's the time to step up the hedge trimming, and do some bed maintenance, mulching etc. Sell, sell, sell to your existing customers. I know it's easier said than done, but you got to ask and make suggestions to your current customers for other work.

We've gone thru tough times, but we always carrry enough accounts to always get thru.
You can also start advertising some other services, general hauling, pool cleaning, deck cleaning. Depends upon how hungry you are, how far you want to differentiate into other things.

we got maybe a 10th of an inch out of the same storm. it is now windy so there went that. I am now hitting the maintenance side of the list but if this keeps up I will run thru this list in about three to four weeks. Ever lose your whole list?

lasher66
07-11-2007, 05:58 PM
I went from mowing 20 yards a day down to about 5. Every lawn is burnt to a crisp here in northwest ohio. Hope to get rain soon. The trick to making it through dry times is budget your money in the spring. I cut enough in the spring that it can get me by until fall if need be. Hope thats not the situation though.

Jason

Superbrock
07-11-2007, 06:31 PM
We had a severe drought in Florida earlier this year. The only thing that got me through was using Moisture Manager I bought from Lesco. It works similar to a wetting agent, but it pulls moisture from the air directly to the root system.

deereequipment
07-11-2007, 08:33 PM
southern Maryland here.
Same problem.
TOns of storms throughout the area over the past couple of months, but when they reach my county (no lie) they break up and go away. In the past 2 months, we have had 6 tenth's. Of course the D.C. news channels mentioned that we could use a little rain the other day... they don't have a clue. Same thing happened last night and tonight, storms break up adn disappear right when they reach us.

Gone from weekly, to every other week, to every 3 and 4 weeks right now.
Skip some one week, and then skip others the next week. We are working every day, but only half days. We will needs 2-3 days of steady rain, just to get this burnt grass to even think about growing again.

I have a little $$ from the spring, that will get me through. Have to reconsider any large purchases. Hoping for alot of leaf clean ups this fall.

Any other suggestions of what people are doing?

Vikings
07-11-2007, 08:35 PM
I always thought most of you Americans were on monthly contracts.

jkingrph
07-11-2007, 09:26 PM
I'm not in business, but can appreciate your hurt. Here in E. Texas, I mowed last Sat. morning and again today, removing almost 6"mof growth. With all the available moisture as soon as the heat cranks up it will really be growing. The guys in the mowing business probably will not be able to keep up.

MOturkey
07-11-2007, 09:40 PM
Sounds like here last year. This year is just the opposite. I, literally, was cutting 8 to 10 inches of 7 day growth in some places today. Hope some of the rain moves on east to you guys.

lawncare18
07-11-2007, 09:51 PM
dry here to... just keep watering i guess... im ready for fall and winter...

dwost
07-11-2007, 09:59 PM
get into the irrigation business

Tim Wright
07-11-2007, 10:00 PM
We HAD 70% chance today, and got 15 minutes of rain. It has been like this the whole summer.

I watch the rain head to Maryland, PA, and then down to VA. It splits and goes right around us. It did the same thing last year.

Tim

MANICURED LAWNS
07-11-2007, 11:48 PM
I saw a Brickman water truck watering an area in town they maintain....go buy a water truck or a huge tank with pump/in/out and sneak into ur properties at night the wait till morning and show up to mow it....some ppl dont want to pay for an irrigation system but want green grass.

lazyike
07-12-2007, 12:51 AM
Get into irrigation maint. when in drought irrigation problems can easily be seen I also tank water to water new trees Its not great money but it helps in a drought.

wildweasel7648
07-12-2007, 10:01 AM
Just a thought, but we have dry spells out here too, most of our customers have underground irrigation. Maybe you could look for a some of these to help you through the dry times. We mow all the way through the summer rain or shine. I explain to my customers when we bid the lawn, it is an average weekly rate. It doesn't matter if the grass grew 1/4" of 5 " we charge the same. Ok with me if they don't want it mowed, I just charge them anyway. They understand this from the get go. It seems to work out here. There are times when we will voluntarily skip a week, and we do not charge for that - but the ball is in our court not theirs. This works because all the LCOs around here do pretty much the same thing.

Tim Wright
07-12-2007, 05:44 PM
I have seen where during drought, the government steps in and seriously limits the water usage anyway. The limits are usually way less than the turf or crop really needs.

Tim

fiveoboy01
07-12-2007, 07:31 PM
Yep, dry here too. Some of the lawns are straight-up brown. Almost all my mows are bi-weekly right now. It is cooling off a bit though in the past few days and is supposed to stay cooler for a while. I just hope we get some good rainfall.

Accu-cut Lawn Care
07-12-2007, 08:31 PM
Add a lot of annual contracts to your customer base. The way I'm set up now, the less I mow- the more I make. It's very drought stricken here, too.

razor1
07-12-2007, 08:49 PM
Do you think customers will pay a little extra for leaf clean-ups considering the drought? :confused:

Midwest Lawn Services
07-12-2007, 09:00 PM
D@mn strait its dry! Here our average precip is around 4.5", and so far we have got .72 inches. :cry: I am starting to get sick of these stinkin dry summers.

FinerCutslawnCare
07-12-2007, 09:13 PM
I will do a rain dance for everyone(including myself). I hate it when grass is turd brown, and especially when i am not keeping busy! :(

Frue
07-13-2007, 06:27 AM
For the first time I have been knocking on doors and selling pruning and mulching. I have never had to do this since I started.