PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of the Walker Super B

Quality Cuts PLS
07-11-2007, 08:21 PM
I got to demo it today. 27HP Kohler, manual clutch, 60" side discharge deck w/belt driven spindles, 24-9.50 tires, will cost about $8600.00. Only 100 made in the first run.

Quality Cuts PLS
07-11-2007, 08:29 PM
More Pictures

Quality Cuts PLS
07-11-2007, 08:37 PM
More Pictures

BMFD92
07-11-2007, 08:38 PM
looks nice when did they come out with those, keep us posted on the cut quality and how it runs

BMFD92
07-11-2007, 08:38 PM
looks nice when did they come out with those, keep us posted on the cut quality and how it runs

DSTC
07-11-2007, 08:43 PM
drool.......

Quality Cuts PLS
07-11-2007, 08:46 PM
More Pictures

Quality Cuts PLS
07-11-2007, 08:50 PM
More Pictures

TLS
07-11-2007, 09:01 PM
I could think of 6 different ways to power that deck. WTF were/are they thinking?

Quality Cuts PLS
07-11-2007, 09:01 PM
They were just released to the reps two weeks ago. I cut two weeks of growth at about 2 3/4" - 3" in one pass with no loading of the engine or deck.
It cut as well as my Exmark Lazer Z. It's really nice, fast too, about 10 mph.
Lots of ground clearance. The are considering a mulch kit for it. For right now their waiting on feedback from the first batch before going into production, so that any changes can be made. Also for now it is available with this specific deck. The deck is very compact for a 60". It also has a foot lift for the deck height, and can be tilted like the others. It's using the Hydro Gear ZT-2800 drives w/filters. The 27 Kohler also has a canister air filter. I am seriously considering one.

HenryB
07-11-2007, 09:10 PM
It looks poorly designed; Too long overall lenth, the belt setup for the cutting deck looks way too complicated. Like it will eat belts. They should make some improvements.

greengiant9963
07-11-2007, 09:11 PM
Do you have any more pic's of the super B?

KTO Enterprises
07-11-2007, 09:17 PM
I spy a plastic idler pulley. What an over engineered piece o crapo. That is not a well built machine. Well built =strong+ ease of maintenance and repair.

lifetree
07-11-2007, 09:22 PM
It looks poorly designed; Too long overall lenth, the belt setup for the cutting deck looks way too complicated. Like it will eat belts. They should make some improvements.

I agree !!

TLS
07-11-2007, 09:28 PM
Mods, can we merge these two posts?

lifetree
07-11-2007, 09:35 PM
OK ... that's enough pictures of this mower ... thanks !!

Arkansaslawn
07-11-2007, 09:36 PM
just tooooooo many belts

Michael J. Donovan
07-11-2007, 09:40 PM
Mods, can we merge these two posts?

just did that for you...they should all be in this thread now

DLCS
07-11-2007, 10:11 PM
Does Walker own Good Year or Gates? Looks like they are going to need to stock up on belts for these machines. I was always told that a serpatine or grooved belt wasn't mad to twist. Also, looks to be a bear to work on. But besides that what is special about this machine.

thesargent
07-11-2007, 10:44 PM
interesting, looks somewhat complicated. ive got to say though that is an exceptionally nice lawn in the background. do you maintain that. keep us posted on the mower.

acm8705
07-11-2007, 10:44 PM
I agree that there are way too many belts and poorly desinged.

Will you be able to buy a 72" deck and maybe a 52" deck and use it with the same engine/rear section? Looks like you should be able to with how the deck mounts up.

ACA L&L
07-11-2007, 11:13 PM
any pics of the final cut wth that fine lookin mower u demoed????????

Quality Cuts PLS
07-11-2007, 11:14 PM
Mods - thanks for combining these threads. This was the first time I posted pictures, and wasn't sure how.

Quality Cuts PLS
07-11-2007, 11:20 PM
Zilla - sorry, I forgot to take some pics of the lawn; but it was every bit as good as my Lazer w/ mulch kit, especially for two weeks of growth - (I had skipped the Fourth of July, and we have have had lots of rain and very high humidity). Quality of cut is a very high priority for me, and I think it did a great job. I am looking forward to trying the mulch kit when they design it.

Quality Cuts PLS
07-11-2007, 11:40 PM
Sargent - the first few pics are of a yard we maintain, but that was before the demo w/ two weeks of growth.

Quality Cuts PLS
07-11-2007, 11:46 PM
ACM - Right now that is the only deck available. Other decks will not mount to it. They may have an adapter in the future. The chassis is bigger and wider than the regular Model B. The Rep said that the deck might be left alone, might get some tweeks, or might be totally different, once Walker gets feedback from the first run of these machines. Walker has been working on this model for over two years and will be sure to get it right.

Quality Cuts PLS
07-11-2007, 11:56 PM
When I first saw the belts and the configuration, It was crazy looking, but it works very well, (it may be why the deck is compact for a 60"). The multiple belts on the clutch may be better than a multi-rib because not all should break at once, it disperses the load better, and the belts will run cooler. If you ever look at industrial motors most are coupled with a multi belt arrangement. Also I like to take a wait-and-see attitude on something new before I judge it, without knowing anything about it. It might just be a "better mousetrap", time will tell.

Envy Lawn Service
07-12-2007, 12:04 AM
I like it except those belts, etc...

I was hoping for dual tail wheels too.

At $8,600 it isn't bad, but isn't anything special in the price department.

I really like the new 60" deck though.

Midwest Lawn Services
07-12-2007, 12:56 AM
I could think of 6 different ways to power that deck. WTF were/are they thinking?

Thats exactly what I was thinking. What a b**** it must be to replace belts. Keep us posted on what you think of the rig. Sure looks like a beast!:drinkup:

GreenT
07-12-2007, 01:16 AM
Besides all the obvious potential belt problems and maintenance issues, can somebody explain to me what if any advantage with the basic configuration of this mower?

I mean the wheels. To my uneducated eye, it seems like poor enginering. They couldn't package the engine so it hangs way out there in the back therefore they need to add that little wheel in the back just so the front will be in contact with the ground. This is turn makes the whole machine longer than it has to be. Very inefficient in my opinion.

Am I missing something? What are the advantages?

02DURAMAX
07-12-2007, 01:32 AM
Looks good...but i dont like all those belts!!

Envy Lawn Service
07-12-2007, 01:34 AM
Besides all the obvious potential belt problems and maintenance issues, can somebody explain to me what if any advantage with the basic configuration of this mower?

I mean the wheels. To my uneducated eye, it seems like poor enginering. They couldn't package the engine so it hangs way out there in the back therefore they need to add that little wheel in the back just so the front will be in contact with the ground. This is turn makes the whole machine longer than it has to be. Very inefficient in my opinion.

Am I missing something? What are the advantages?

It's a compact, light weight, fast and powerful "out front" ZTR.

It's a "Super" version of the Walker MB.

acm8705
07-12-2007, 01:38 AM
How much weight is actually being placed on the rear wheel?

Seems like if it's holding the weight of the engine it will tear up the grass when changing directions.

Sure would hate to make an abrupt stop and slide off the front of the seat. (If you know what I mean.)

GreenT
07-12-2007, 01:41 AM
It's a compact, light weight, fast and powerful "out front" ZTR.

It's a "Super" version of the Walker MB.

I'm sorry Envy. I still don't get it. How is it compact? On the picture with the guy sitting on it looks pretty long to me.

Also, can you tell me the advantages of that configuration?

Thanks.

Envy Lawn Service
07-12-2007, 02:00 AM
It's compact "for an outfront"

The advantage to the outfront configuration is the trim ability of the mower. You can stick the deck in and under things you can't with a midmount... and the deck is true "full floating" in that it follows the ground contours independent of the mower. It's also nice because you can just flip the deck up for service and cleaning.

swingset
07-12-2007, 02:23 AM
It looks like a mid-mount and a front-ender got it on, and their overly complex mutant child came out, with belts and tires all over the place.

l guess it has a purpose. Not sure I'd want that thing, but hey different strokes.

johnwon
07-12-2007, 07:33 AM
Is that square tube bar mounted to the front a lift handle for lifting the deck up for service?? Thanks and good luck with your decision.

MOW ED
07-12-2007, 08:19 AM
Hats off to Walker for doing something a little different. Hey conventional Z's have their share of bad points also and some manufacturers of conventional Z's have more bad points than others. Give the company credit for being innovative.
Who knows what it can do? We all get so comfortable with having that one mule belt that is 10 feet long and we lay under our trailer gate or on a curb to change blades. I see some positives with it.
Thanks for sharing the pics and keep us updated on how the mower works for you.

TLS
07-12-2007, 10:46 AM
My point with the deck drive belt was that a simple 90 degree gearbox with a pulley on the bottom would have been much easier to use rather than have that double twist on a cogged belt.

Speaking of cogged belts...are the blades timed?

I'm OK with the three belts for the PTO, though I feel it is over done. My old JD frontrunners had dual belts to drive the PTO shaft.

Why NOT use 24-12x12 tires?

MarcSmith
07-12-2007, 11:05 AM
doesn't l;ook liek th blades are timed otherwise you have lot narrower deck....I have always liked th waker machines for ther cut quality and 'trimability' and the fact that you can swap out decks or other tools real easily, and the fact they as an operator you are much lower to the ground than a traditional Z or even the grashoppers. but they were always slow, even with the speed up kits.

It is a LOOOONNG machine, but an out front deck will do that. the smoothie wheel won't tear anything up.... and if anything I'll bet with 5 wheel to spread out the weight its has a lighter footprint than some Z's

and its quite copmact in that I would not want to have to work on anything.

I also agree on the front belt, seems a bit awkward, but i think Walker was trying to get away from having a gear box on the deck. which means less noise.

how long is that belt....10 feet? :)
now if that can combine this machine with their GHS models and get the good cut with the higher speed, then they'd be onto something...

bahamamills
07-12-2007, 11:21 AM
It looks like a mid-mount and a front-ender got it on, and their overly complex mutant child came out, with belts and tires all over the place.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Would I like to have one ,,,, yes two please.. I would be scared to death to take this in for service, like they would hit me up for a mercedes or something.

tallimeca
07-12-2007, 01:55 PM
what a mess. Feel bad for anyone working on that.

Calling it right now, they will have numberous updates on that deck belt setup. Not only with the mule drive set up, but that ratcheting idler setup.

Not to mention that mess for the belts in the back.

I dont' care how well it cuts. I wouldn't be jumping all over buying one of these any time soon.

Plastic pulleys on the deck??? Is that a Walker or a Murray? Are you kidding. The bearing starts slowing down the belt will eat right through it.

I swear that took that deck drive design from the older bunton walk behinds.

Also, when you have a tripple belt set up like that, you should have to replace them as a set because they wear evenly. Can't imagine what the price will be on a set of 3 belts.......

DSTC
07-12-2007, 02:08 PM
I'm sorry Envy. I still don't get it. How is it compact? On the picture with the guy sitting on it looks pretty long to me.

Also, can you tell me the advantages of that configuration?

Thanks.

I agree that when you are used to a mid mount Z, the walker seems a bit awkward looking and long. You really have to mow with one to appreciate it. They are much much more maneuverable than mid Z's. I have one property that has a line of about 8 Crepe Myrtles spaced about 6 foot apart. I can take my 48" walker in figure 8's in and out of them at full speed. No way this could be done with a Mid Z, and it saves me a whole bunch of trimming time. Actually in most properties, I use my string trimmer for about 1-2 minutes. I think I actually use my stick edger more than my string trimmer :). The "full floating" deck leaves and unbelievable cut, even as low as 1" on Hybrid Bermuda. I've seen a lot of different mowers mow Bermuda grass and the only thing I've seen do better than a Walker is a true reel mower like they use on golf course greens. Plus, my diesel model walker only weighs 972 lbs including the deck. Walkers weight isn't much different than the Mid-Z mowers, but they leave a lighter footprint with the 5 wheel configuration. You should try to demo one at your dealer if you can.

Also, you can transport Walkers with the deck pinned up on your trailer. They really don't take up any more space than a mid-mount when this is done (although that 60" beast would probably snap the mounting hook :)).

I love this new super B thing but I hope they have different decks for it.

dave k
07-12-2007, 06:25 PM
It would be better with a split wheel in back to keep the stripes better looking, I see they sort of copied the deck design of Scag or maybe Grasshopper with the pointed noise, I hope its a thicker deck than my 48" SD, I hit a rock with it and bent the front in very easily and I had to get the sledge out to get it back in shape, I do have problems with my deck pushing the clippings that lay on top of Bermuda like a snowplow, and my SD seems like the deck sits lower to the ground than my GHS deck, I need to measure the blades to see if its accurate, but it cuts fairly well, was cheaper than buying a new Z. Good luck with it.

GreenT
07-12-2007, 07:35 PM
Thank you for the explanation guys. :waving:

larryslawn
07-12-2007, 08:45 PM
who service's walker in our aera? I have not seen any here before.

KrayzKajun
07-12-2007, 09:09 PM
Very nice! What dealer you go too? i am about 45mins south of you

David Hartzog
07-12-2007, 09:34 PM
is that deck belt one to many times twisted. i see a bobo

David Hartzog
07-12-2007, 10:10 PM
is that deck belt one to many times twisted. i see a bobo

excuse me boo boo

ojpent
07-12-2007, 10:17 PM
I spy a plastic idler pulley. What an over engineered piece o crapo. That is not a well built machine. Well built =strong+ ease of maintenance and repair.

There's nothing wrong with using a plastic idler pulley, just take a look under the hood of most cars and you will a idler pulley and belt tensioner pulley out of plastic!!!!

KTO Enterprises
07-12-2007, 10:22 PM
Yes and there isnt near the strain and tension on those plastic idler pulleys. Notice they are used on serpentine belts and not cog belts. They also dont spin at near the rpm that a mower deck will spin them either. Throw in the worst of conditions, Tons of sand, water, grass and crap around them. If a steel idler pulley will wear out on a mower, imagine what a plastic one will do. Why do you think that its the biggest advertisement point of most mower manufacturers.

ed2hess
07-12-2007, 11:19 PM
They should have just copied the Scag Cougar design on deck belt...it would have been much simpler....it would have been pay back for Scag copying their bin full switch .

tallimeca
07-13-2007, 10:39 AM
There's nothing wrong with using a plastic idler pulley, just take a look under the hood of most cars and you will a idler pulley and belt tensioner pulley out of plastic!!!!

Someone beat me too it. Mower decks piled with wet grass, fertilizer and dirt do not compare to automobile use.

Not only that, but that deck belt doesn't seem near thick enough. Most ZTR's are using a 5/8 belt. That belt looked 1/2 inch at best.

There WILL BE ISSUES , no doubt. I hate to play arm chair engineer but 15 years of fixing, selling, customer feed back, and knowing what works. There WILL BE ISSUES.

Somone pointed out that they should have used a 90 gearbox with a pulley. They were exactly correct. Just like the ZT1000 walker style bunton and bobcat mowers. That would have been 1000000000000 times better then what they did hear. Exmark did it on their Front Runner. There can't be patents on it. It's a gearbox and a pulley.

TLS
07-13-2007, 04:30 PM
Somone pointed out that they should have used a 90 gearbox with a pulley. They were exactly correct.

This may have been me.

Dont most "regular" Walkers have gearboxes? This shouldn't be new to Walker.

Poor College Kid Mowing
07-13-2007, 05:29 PM
They should have just copied the Scag Cougar design on deck belt...it would have been much simpler....it would have been pay back for Scag copying their bin full switch .

Is there any mower that doesn't seem to copy it's stuff from someone else? I'm starting to wonder who starts the design of these.

shade tree landscaping
07-14-2007, 10:07 AM
I have an 18hp 42in mulch deck model B now and I love it! I cant wait until this super B is out for sale and can see and demo with my own eyes!

TLS
07-15-2007, 01:21 PM
When Walker goes into the side discharge category, it goes from VERY little competition, to more than most companies can handle.

Right now they're a big fish in a small pond. They're about to jump into the ocean. I don't know if this is a good idea or not.

MarcSmith
07-15-2007, 01:45 PM
Right now they're a big fish in a small pond. They're about to jump into the ocean. I don't know if this is a good idea or not.

Yeah but if you think about, they have a good solid product to fall back on. The GHS...Thats what walker isknown for.... Yeah not the fastest, but darn hard to beat the quality, of the machine and the results.

Walker has all of the engineering in place to produce just about any style of mower they want..., it would be like GM designing a different car.... The methods and the means are in place....Now if GM wanted to build a Motorcycle....or walker wanted to start building string trimmers, Id be worried.

I don't think the B will "compete" with the ZTR market... its an out front mower with a true floating deck. like the grasshoppers, and toro groundsmasters....and if the mower doesnt work, is not like they've invested their entire comany into this one machine....

brucec32
10-08-2007, 08:25 PM
I have an 18hp 42in mulch deck model B now and I love it! I cant wait until this super B is out for sale and can see and demo with my own eyes!

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=198252&highlight=walker+model

So what happened so soon?

Greenery
10-08-2007, 09:01 PM
thats not the same model b this threads about look at the pictures. I did demo the new super B and it worked fairly well much larger tires, way faster ground speed, great cut, much better on hills it could actually climb one going forward and I think it can compete with most midmounts out there. It did seem big though compared to a normal walker

shade tree landscaping
10-09-2007, 10:34 AM
BRUCE I need a bigger machince for the large yards that I mow, 3+acres. Other than that I have no complaints its just that a 42inch deck isnt cutting it anymore. Wish that I could attach a 60 or 72 inch deck to it.