PDA

View Full Version : 'Real Estate Pros', hire unsafe workers...

mattfromNY
07-11-2007, 07:29 PM
Anyone catch the latest (I think) episode of 'Real Estate Pros' on TLC channel? I was watching the other night, they hired a tree cutting service, showed all the fancy equipment on the tv and all. The guy doing the tree cutting had only a pair of sunglasses on, no hard hat or ear protection, no chaps, out there running a chainsaw. He was standing next to the tree, dropping limbs all over the place, and not pulling them away from the work area. Then, they tie a rope from a skidsteer to the tree, notch the tree and drop it in the yard. If he had to run for some reason, he couldn't b/c he had tree limbs all around his feet and legs. Another thing, they never moved any of the cars out of the driveway, and dropped the tree right next to them. I know we've all done dumb things, or hurried a job, but to show unsafe practices on national tv makes us all look like bubbas out there hacking stuff up! :hammerhead: But then again, its the same show that made light of the home buyer guy dumping a 5 gallon pail of chlorine tablets into a pool, then reading the directions that read 'No more than one tablet per treatment'. :dizzy: :dizzy:

TriPLandscaping
07-11-2007, 07:58 PM
I know exactly what you are talkin about. I whatched the whole marathon. Ya i was wondering if any of the limbs were going to drop on the bmw that was on the drive way. One of the branches almost hit richard davis. On another episode one of the landscapers was just radomly hedge trimming w/ shears. It looked like he was attacking the shrub. After all that going on Richard is still a guy Look up to.

KTO Enterprises
07-11-2007, 08:20 PM
That show is stupid. I have a friend in Ridgeville, about 30 minutes from Charleston that also buys and flips houses, and he was telling me that there is no way that he is getting work done for the prices that the show states. All Richard Davis has done is sold a show to TLC.

DUSTYCEDAR
07-11-2007, 08:29 PM
all of those shows make people think u can buy a house and flip it in a few weeks till they find out u need permits and inspections and that all takes time lots of time lol
now they have shows of the flops that dont make it :)

Matts lawn care
07-11-2007, 08:56 PM
I think i saw this one. is this the one where he threw a hole bucket of pool chemicals into the nasty pool?

KTO Enterprises
07-11-2007, 08:58 PM
Just about every realtor I know, not all but most are only concerned with price. I have never had one ask me how good of a lob can you do, just "how much is this going to cost me"

SkyLawncare
07-11-2007, 09:17 PM
I used to sell Real Estate. What kills me is how they ALWAYS manage to magically sell the house on the first open house. Amazing!

I saw that one with the pool chemicals too, what an idiot! lol.

old oak lawn
07-11-2007, 11:16 PM
I have seen the show also. Have you seen their landscaper/ what a hack. shows up late does not know what he is doing has no shirt on most of the time.makes us all look bad

TriPLandscaping
07-12-2007, 12:20 AM
Ya what i dont understand is how he has such succesful company while seeming like he knows squat and just contracts what needs to be done. He doesnt use the same landscaper. But they are all pretty bad and should be ashamed showing up late, scruby on national tv.

huh
07-13-2007, 05:31 AM
first everyone of you is forgetting that if someone shot video of you for 8-10 hours a day from 3 different camera angles they would have 150 hours of footage to choose from to get the one hour for the show....for just ONE person for a week

then add in that each show is filmed over weeks for just one episode and it adds up to HUGE amounts of tape to weed through to get an hour

so they can edit that footage week in and week out to make any point they want

from everything I have seen Richard and his company seam legit and long term....if they are really just a house of cards then there will probably be a time very soon that it all folds since real estate is not appreciating right now and most areas especially on the coast are "flipped out"

also if you listen closely to some of the things he says you will see that he is not always putting much if any of his actual cash on the line on some deals....there was one show where he stated he was going to the "well" or whatever he called it and he described them as old money people that he works with from time to time that can front up 75,000 - 100,000K for a short term with a decent return from Richard

he especially works with VERY short term financing and if you watch some shows there are times he goes without permits ect. and just does it (and gets caught a couple of times)....but the facts are as I can see it from living in many small towns and big cities is that when you are clearly doing something to better the area or the neighborhood and your work is done right inspectors ect. will give you a small fine if any and you pay it and move on.....the city is happy they got a fine, and they "enforced the rules", and they got a pain in the A turned into an asset......cities spend a TON of time working the same crappy properties over and over and over....so when the chance comes to get one gone they help the situation.....also the show does not show the hours of time pions are going around and getting permits or making calls ect.

plus from what I have seen on internet rumors Richards wife is a very successful doctor so even if things sour for him she is doing well for both of them

I think he is funny and I loved the shotgun and beer stakeout for the thiefs and he seams to do good work and treat people fair like the show when he was getting new home builders to do the remodel and they jacked the bill way up.....they all sat down like adults and walked away with a deal

so far I have seen nothing to not like about him and can find no fault in his work or his business....not that I look that hard, but I do follow the show

KTO Enterprises
07-13-2007, 07:39 AM
Well I know for a fact that he is full of more crap than a hog house ion south georgia.

mattfromNY
07-13-2007, 09:25 PM
Sure, he's a nice guy and all, my point is that I hate seeing unsafe work practices promoted through any media (TV, newspapers, etc.)
I am always preaching to my wife when I see pictures of kids in the newspapers riding ATV's with no helmets. Just last week, a 20 year old son of a friend of mine died riding a motorcycle with no helmet. Who's to say, but I'd bet he'd still be alive if he had a helmet on, maybe still hurt really bad, but alive to ride again. I've seen guys sent to the hospital riding in their own yards b/c of stupid mistakes. It only takes a second to put on some safety gear. And not make us all look like bubbas out there cutting up trees and working with power equipment.

huh
07-13-2007, 10:29 PM
Well I know for a fact that he is full of more crap than a hog house ion south georgia.

do tell so the rest of us can decide for ourselves

do you know about him personally or what you see on TV

KTO Enterprises
07-14-2007, 10:41 AM
He tried to flip a house here in Beaufort. Same crap he pulls up there. The reason he finds so many scrubs is he thinks everyone is just sitting around waiting on phone calls to do work. When the reputable companies are busy, he just starts calling on down the line until he finds someone with nothing to do that can accomodate him right now.

gqnine44
07-14-2007, 02:44 PM
He tried to flip a house here in Beaufort. Same crap he pulls up there. The reason he finds so many scrubs is he thinks everyone is just sitting around waiting on phone calls to do work. When the reputable companies are busy, he just starts calling on down the line until he finds someone with nothing to do that can accomodate him right now.

So whats wrong with that?

KTO Enterprises
07-14-2007, 04:30 PM
You are not going to find a company that does quality work that doesn't have a wait around here right now. He also doesnt like to pay more than 20 per hour per man on a job.

DSLND
07-14-2007, 05:50 PM
My parents flip houses so they got me into watching his first show on A&E. I'd say my favorite episode was either "the stakeout" or the "firehouse" where he brings in the landscaper, Mitch and he pushes the dumpster down the driveway with his Deere Z, got some good laughs out of that one. I now watch "The Real Deal/Real Estate Pros every week. I like the show, and enjoy watching their team work together to be sucessful. I especially like Ginger:weightlifter: :weightlifter: . But he once said in an episode that he does not bring in "mack daddy" people to do the work. And i think thats how he makes such a substantial profit. -Mitch-

KTO Enterprises
07-14-2007, 06:19 PM
Anyone else notice in the episode with the stake out that he and the guy driving the truck were drinking beer. South Carolina has an open container law. he broke the law on national television.

DSLND
07-14-2007, 06:54 PM
Anyone else notice in the episode with the stake out that he and the guy driving the truck were drinking beer. South Carolina has an open container law. he broke the law on national television.

Yea.....I did notice that. -Mitch-

Vikings
07-14-2007, 07:24 PM
I like that show but I would never buy one of his pos houses. He's a scammer imo, just covers up problems.

In a 50 million dollar deal he had, with all those condos, they had wooden floors in the bathrooms. That is a HUGE no no, they will warp like crazy. So it makes you wonder what is behind the shower tiles etc.

One of my customers told me he was getting sued for something to do with poor work. They paint in the rain, wooden floors in bathrooms...

Still I like that guys "get up and go" attitude.

That episode where they were drinking beer in the truck, waiting for the burgler to try and steal their stuff. The conversation he had with his secretary the next day was hilarious to me. He told her about them seeing a flash light beam in that house and how they ran there trying to catch the guy and then the secretary said, 'You could have been killed' and that guy got this funny look on his face and said, 'HE could have got killed'. lol.

Tim Wright
07-14-2007, 07:42 PM
Actually Richard is paying TLC $1800 per week to air that stupid show. He or TLC sells the show to sponsors and advertisers to recoop the cost of air time and production.

Tim

That show is stupid. I have a friend in Ridgeville, about 30 minutes from Charleston that also buys and flips houses, and he was telling me that there is no way that he is getting work done for the prices that the show states. All Richard Davis has done is sold a show to TLC.

DUSTYCEDAR
07-15-2007, 10:15 AM
Actually Richard is paying TLC $1800 per week to air that stupid show. He or TLC sells the show to sponsors and advertisers to recoop the cost of air time and production.

Tim

i wouldnt put it past him lol

dKoester
07-15-2007, 01:12 PM
From what I have read there are alot of people here that are jealous of successful people. Bottom line if you have a great network things happen.

JB1
07-15-2007, 01:49 PM
From what I have read there are alot of people here that are jealous of successful people. Bottom line if you have a great network things happen.

amen brother.

Tim Wright
07-15-2007, 01:57 PM
i wouldnt put it past him lol

My statement was based on the fact that this is the way it works with the networks.

I have shot and edited hunting shows, and most of the networks cost for airtime generally run close to the same.

This is how the tv game is played.

Tim

DUSTYCEDAR
07-16-2007, 04:15 PM
thanks for clearing that up i always wondered why they seemed to stick with certain people year after year
i think he likes to here himself talk sometimes
i would hate to be followed all day by a camera