PDA

View Full Version : Hydrangea...what to do?

fordnut
07-11-2007, 08:52 PM
I went and gave a elderly lady an estimate to trim some shrubs. She said she wanted them just a little higher than her porch. One is a hydrengea, it has blue flowers on it and they look to be dyeing back. Its a very large bush. My question is I would have to trim a foot off to get it to the height she wants. She is determined to get them trimmed.What do I do???.....thanks

sildoc
07-11-2007, 09:05 PM
Let her know that she won't have any blooms next year. They bloom on last years growth and most likely wont grow enough to bud for next year.
But Hey take the money make her happy, customer gets what they want right?

Focal Point Landscapes
07-12-2007, 12:55 AM
I think that down south the plants will grow out significantly this year - shouldn't be a problem , imo.

Smallaxe
07-12-2007, 07:49 AM
Even in the north here, on a hot sunny day, hydrangeas always look like they are dying. As long as there is enough soil moisture they are fine again by evening.
We can mow them down to the ground each fall and they bloom like crazy every year. Winter usually wipes them out anyway when we prune taller for a taller bush. It acts more like a perenial up here.

fordnut
07-13-2007, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the info. I'am going to trim them. I love this sight!!!

RAlmaroad
07-13-2007, 01:53 PM
Ford: If you really want to give her a heart attack--tell her that you will even turn her blooms from "Blue" to "Pink"--Give them a good dose of lime...They're blue in acid soil and pink in alkaline soil.