PDA

View Full Version : Wall complete ( lay out problem )

Mike33
07-11-2007, 10:57 PM
Here is a few pics from the wall we just completed that i had posted earlier with a lay out problem. 115' x 4' , my guys are installing shrubbery home owner had designed.
Mike

ChampionLS
07-11-2007, 10:59 PM
Nice Job!

How's that Alan Block treating you? (hehehe)...

Mike33
07-11-2007, 11:19 PM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, I take it you dont like ab?
Mike

ChampionLS
07-12-2007, 12:20 AM
It's alright. Our producer has recently changed their mold, so the quality of the block is a little better than in the past. Lots of crumbs to clean off each layer.

PatriotLandscape
07-12-2007, 12:23 AM
I personally don't like how the caps sit back on the wall. I like them to overhang with a lip. Looks good though.

Mike33
07-12-2007, 04:04 PM
Yea, thats a good point about the overhang of the cap. Im actualy going to use versa-lok for my new house the steps coming out of basement. I only need about 4-5 steps and liked how i could sit the cap where i wanted especially for the tread.
Mike

John Zaprala
07-12-2007, 05:53 PM
I hate the AB corners. And then you spend more time chiseling away the excess from the molding for a proper fit.

Mike33
07-12-2007, 10:09 PM
I hate the AB corners. And then you spend more time chiseling away the excess from the molding for a proper fit.
I agree there corners suck. I actually told my manu. they need to hire an uneducated idiot to design a corner that works.
Mike

mrusk
07-12-2007, 10:33 PM
Now thats a wall you make $$$ on!! I been doing a couple techo quarry stone walls lately. With the 4in, 8in and vertical peices, production goes way down!.

Mike33
07-12-2007, 11:01 PM
Now thats a wall you make $$$ on!! I been doing a couple techo quarry stone walls lately. With the 4in, 8in and vertical peices, production goes way down!.
My god yes production would have a reverse speed than i agree. I excavted this job including footer in less than a day. Dug the bank back fair amount about 100 ton. After we got the homeowner approval we built the wall in 2 days than spent little better than 1/2 day capping. I just started 1 today 110' x 8' than i have a 150' x 6' than a few small ones. Keep me busy thru august.
The wall i just did was nice as far as grade no stepping. Oh yea, this wall gets a pool in front of it and concrete up to the wall, when it is complete i will go back in 6 weeks and build another wall 50'x 8' on the lower section of property.
Mike

PerfectEarth
07-12-2007, 11:08 PM
Great looking wall!

On the other hand (and I know it was the homeowner's "design") that is possibly the worst landscape I've ever seen.

ChampionLS
07-13-2007, 03:34 AM
By design, it's impossible to have the caps overhang with Alan Block. If you have a table saw, you could saw cut a notch big enough to allow the cap to overhang, but it would no longer cover the block's core.

senatorcongressman
07-13-2007, 10:56 AM
The curve came out nice though.

Too bad the cheaped out on the plantings.

Mike33
07-13-2007, 06:14 PM
Yes the planting has a lot to be desired, i have 2 part timers and offered there service for there wages on days i didnt need them. I have nothing to do with the design or planting.
Mike

GreenMonster
07-13-2007, 08:31 PM
Yes the planting has a lot to be desired, i have 2 part timers and offered there service for there wages on days i didnt need them. I have nothing to do with the design or planting.
Mike

See Mike, this is where you're missing out $$$$$ big time. You need to sell the planting -- and you need to sell some nice mature stuff too, those little plantings look cheesy. Plus you should try to sell a drip irrigation with every bed, and irrigation with all of your hydroseed lawns too. This way, you get more money out of each job you sell. I'm not saying you'll get anything more than the wall on every job, we don't either, but it sure it nice to show up on a job and do a 10K wall, plus a 4K irrigation system, plus a 5K lawn install, plus a 4K lighting install, plus 8K in plantings...... :D

Your walls look good, but AB is AB, right? You can only do so much. Nice curve, though. Ever thought about doing more with their Ashlar.

BTW, our manufacturer up here has changed the cap design a few times now over the past year. There is no longer a bevel on the cap, and it does overhang a little bit.

Mike33
07-14-2007, 12:19 AM
Mark, I was so fed up i just wanted out is why i didnt take on planting. I guess i should of stated this design actually came from a nursery a couple miles away. Homeowner trusted the nursery over me, than the ding aling from there actually delivered every thing in a mini van and placed them where to be planted. :walking: Im actually bidding a europa wall with the ashler pattern that should be a treat but it is small 20' x 4' i need to get some prices from manuf. Tell me more about that cap. We just started another big one today using cornerstone, the guy who sells them were working for his brother. Not a bad product really. Speaking of irrigation pm with your # again i need a system for my new home. I will be installing yard for it in late august.
Mike

GreenMonster
07-14-2007, 09:08 AM
Mike, I've pm'd you my cell.

Def install the irrigation system before you spray the lawn.

This is a picture of the new AB caps up here. It's not a great pic, but the best I have... or at least the best I can find.

mrusk
07-14-2007, 05:10 PM
I'll second what green monster said. I do not think you could ever get rich doing just walls or hardscapes for that matter. I see no future in just doing the 1 thing. You need to sell total packages. Hardscapes, plantings, lighting, irrigation, fence, etc.

I do very few jobs a year. But they are all serious $. If i do 8 jobs this year i will be surpised.

Matt

ed2hess
07-14-2007, 07:39 PM
You did a nice job on the wall but what was the purpose? It looks like it needs to be twice as high to stop water/errosion from coming down the hill:hammerhead:

Mike33
07-14-2007, 11:06 PM
You did a nice job on the wall but what was the purpose? It looks like it needs to be twice as high to stop water/errosion from coming down the hill:hammerhead:

Thanks for the compliment, but pics always dont show everything. # 1 i made money, second the homeowner couldnt afford any more. In reality it did serve a good purpose. I actually move the bank back around 5-6' giving more room for there project. I also took more pitch out with the wall. and where you cant see above the wall i dug a ditch the whole way down parallel with the wall. The only water that will get there is just above wall and then there is 70 ton of drainage material with 4" pipe.
Mike

senatorcongressman
07-16-2007, 03:21 PM
... you should try to sell a drip irrigation with every bed, and irrigation with all of your hydroseed lawns too. This way, you get more money out of each job you sell. ....

Not to mention less callbacks for dead plantings that were never watered.