PDA

View Full Version : Service Contracts

Chris J
07-12-2007, 12:53 AM
For those of you who offer maintenance contracts, how do you configure them? Annually, semi-annually, yearly, etc... What do you offer in terms of service/visits. Do you replace lamps for free, do you repair cut wires due to edging because the wire was not burried deep enough. Also, what is your typical charge for a service call for a system that is not under warranty or service contract? This should be a very interesting thread...........:clapping:

Chris J
07-12-2007, 01:12 AM
Our installations include a lifetime warranty on all system components. For the first year, our maintenence agreement is very generous. We come back on scheduled visits semi-annually to adjust the system, clean the fixtures, lubricate the moveable parts, trim vegitation, raise or move fixtures and re-aim as necessary. After the first year, we offer a yearly renewable contract which cost $10 per light. Also offered in the renewal contract is an annual lamp replacement which the customer will purchase the lamps at retail value minus 10%. 85% or our customers opt for annual lamp replacement, and we will perform this service on the next scheduled maintenance visit.
As most of you will see, this system we have is very non-profitable for us. We are in desperate need of a new maintenance system, but I'm just not sure how I would like to do it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

David Gretzmier
07-12-2007, 01:14 AM
I do 10 % of installed price, replace all bulbs and lube sockets and o-rings once per year, guarantee all lights to be lit for that year. Since I replace all the bulbs, I usually only do 1 call if that over the rebulb visit. All are included with the 10 % however, so if it takes 10 visits, so be it. vandalism and misuse are not covered, charged $100 service call.

Trans and buried wire are guaranteed for ten years, lights are guaranteed as long as I service them yearly. I don't guarantee any repair calls I did not install, or guarantee repairs on jobs I installed that do not do maintenance contracts. I only fix what is broken, no entire rebulbs on service calls unless they can pay the 10%.

Service calls start at 100 bucks, no more than 30 minutes total drive time both ways, include 1 hour onsite and no materials. bulbs are charged at 10 per bulb. discovering needed trans replacement is usually 2nd visit/service call unless I happen to have one on truck.

All the above rules and fees were essentially put into place because of customers constantly trying to get something for nothing, and trying to value my time the same for install and repair. I still make less on repair.

Pro-Scapes
07-12-2007, 06:22 AM
mines a bit diff... i give them 3 schedualed visits and then up to 2 service calls for burn outs at a time but they pay all parts. I may integrate Davids idea a bit more. Im generous on my service calls. I feel staying in contact with a client builds a strong relationship and keeps your name and number in thier head more. I picked up a small install when I was on a service call from a friend of thiers visiting. Exposure!

Chris J
07-12-2007, 08:49 PM
My relamp visit is a bit funky on the first year. Let's say I install a job January 1. They will get a scheduled service call in July, and then the 2nd on their one year anniversary when January rolls around again. As soon as I am finished with the one year service call, I will send them a renewal notice and they will send a check back to me within a couple of weeks. I was just there, so I don't want to have to go back a third time just to change the lamps so what I do is wait until it's time for the next scheduled service visit in July and do it then. From that point forward, there lamps will always be changed exactly one year apart. They will get the renewal in January, and the lamps will always be changed in July. I had to start doing it this way because of all of the renewals we have. If we made an extra trip for each one of our customers just to change the lamps the additional cost to us would be through the roof.

Pro-Scapes
07-12-2007, 08:56 PM
My relamp visit is a bit funky on the first year. Let's say I install a job January 1. They will get a scheduled service call in July, and then the 2nd on their one year anniversary when January rolls around again. As soon as I am finished with the one year service call, I will send them a renewal notice and they will send a check back to me within a couple of weeks. I was just there, so I don't want to have to go back a third time just to change the lamps so what I do is wait until it's time for the next scheduled service visit in July and do it then. From that point forward, there lamps will always be changed exactly one year apart. They will get the renewal in January, and the lamps will always be changed in July. I had to start doing it this way because of all of the renewals we have. If we made an extra trip for each one of our customers just to change the lamps the additional cost to us would be through the roof.

I like that plan... most of our installs need to be trimmed more frequently than that. I also had a run of bad bulbs (seemed to of all come from the same box or case) and had to make multiple service calls on 3 properties in the first year. I finally relamped and have alot less failures. I as considering relamp very 2 years... You guys include this with your contracts ? I will include the trip and labor but the lamps gotta get paid for!

Chris J
07-12-2007, 09:10 PM
The lamps are extra whether they allow me to relamp the entire system all at once or as they burn out. I do give a 10% discount on lamps for relamping annually though.
My thoughts on what to charge are to either go with a "minimum" or starting price like, say $250 for a small system or charge more per fixture. The problem I have with charging per light is on the very small jobs: If the system is only 10-15 lights, it really isn't fair to me to charge only 10 bucks per light and give them unlimited visits. The reverse is true for the larger jobs. At $10/light, a 250 light job would cost the homeowner about $4,400 with lamps per year. Ironically, I usually don't get too many calls on the very big installs. They have so many lights on their property that they usually don't know that they have 4 or 5 lights out until I tell them.