PDA

View Full Version : scag hydro or wheel motor

4458chas
07-12-2007, 08:32 AM
How do u know which one is going bad? The wheel motor or the hydro.
I think it is the hydro because there is a small amount of leakage in the hydro and in cold temps it has to warm up before it will go. I also it feels like it is slipping gears when it goes up hills, this is only on one side, it is a scag rider
tiger cub.
thanks
chas

Eric D
07-12-2007, 10:26 AM
Has the filter been changed? If not, I would start with replacing it. It might be worth cutting it open and seeing if there is any debris inside of it. If nothing is found I would do a system pressure test. This will tell you if the pump is putting out enough to drive the motor. If it checks out then chances are you have a bad motor.

Best of luck on the problem,

Eric D

MowerMedic77
07-12-2007, 03:56 PM
Here is a manual I found online its for the BDP style pumps that are very common, and the test procedure and flow meter you would need to test the pump. Page #8 is trouble shooting page# 9+10 are the test procedure and flow meter diagram.

http://www.gardenresources.co.uk/content/garden_machinery/manuals/husqwm223_hwen2002_0000000-02.pdf

4458chas
07-12-2007, 09:01 PM
That is perfect, thank you for the help. this seems to be a great site hope I can help somebody out.
Thank you chas

MJB
08-19-2007, 12:44 AM
If it growls or chatters under load then it may be your wheel motors. I had 2 go out both of them started making a chattering sound that got worse the more load I put on it. Hope you figure it out. I could hear it coming from the wheel motor. If you can take a rubber hose and touch it to the pump and listen to it as you put a load on it, then listen to the wheel motors might be able to find it that way.